TomSwede

Repost some bracers

Got such nice comments on my Motörhead bracer that I got inspired to repost some stuff that went online pre-crash -08.

those where made during last autumn when I picked up tooling again after some three years break due to neckproblems.

Tom

O1.jpg

IMG_5346_01.jpg

MT4.jpg

post-5146-1207614492_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1207614573_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1207614615_thumb.jpg

i'm really diggin the one on the far right!!...i tell ya what tom...if i knew how to make those back in the day...

i would of been a rich kid around here :yeah:

darryl

Thanks Soda!

I've sold much of my bracers to the HM society but hasn't flagged that direction that my shop is open again. I want to do other stuff now.

Tom

I agree, I also like the one on the left. I like your philip screw heads on there. That is a great idea. They look great.

Tom when you get that fly rod case finished.........that design on the right would look great

on a Guitar strap.. with some changes.

Get Back To Par and show us your Good Items..

Tom,

For as long as I've been working with leather, I've been determined to never use a swivel knife.

Your bracers, however, might prove to be what's changed my mind.

They're amazing.

~Tammy

i love them all , but i like the one in the middle the best..the colors wow....what is a HM society.... my archery friends would love these...i might have to make something similar now!

Thank ya'll! Getting right on with the tube and after that a ladies purse then another tube and then another tube. Yup, got order for a third tube.

Got some wacked out ideas for that one so Luke I'll be right back on par I think. Guitarstraps, I keep the idea in mind when I come to it.

Made the philips screwhead with a small screwdriver and I used a holepunch to make the circle. I wanted it to look like sinked down into the surface. I recommend doing those last thing when the casing is almost dried out otherwise the screwdriverpunch might not cut into the leather well and you'll end up with a strange stardepression.

Hey Tammy, a swivel is great after you get past the learning curve. In Sweden I only get the Tandy stuff so I mostly use the ceramic blade or the filigree blade. The one's that comes with their standard knives are a bit clumsy when it comes to spinning the knife around close corners and such.

Tom

i love them all , but i like the one in the middle the best..the colors wow....what is a HM society.... my archery friends would love these...i might have to make something similar now!

Hey Roo! Thank you! HM society is short for Heavy Metal Society.

The middle one has a mysterious reddish black surface that I don't know if I could replicate. Gotta keep in mind to experiment with that technique that actually was unintended for that bracer.

I found your kitten attacks dog on youtube yesterday, hilarious!

Tom

Beautiful looking work Tom, I love the way you've used the coloring on these. You are really going to have to start writing this stuff down, so when we ask "How'd ya get that color?" you can tell us...LOL

Thanks for all that you share with us.

Ken

Thank you Ken!

Everytime someone ask I write it down, lol

Thanks back for all that you share, loved that vest you made!

Tom

great stuff tom, really really like far right, really clean lines..... is that paint,ink, or guilding?

Thank you Pip! I post a pic now that'll show the basic dyejob and applied on top of that was some Danish ROC gold dye. Then I sealed it all with Fiebings acrylic spray, one coat. Next I painted some Fiebings pro oil yellow dye onto the checkered part, this made it to blend with the sealer (the sealer dissolves when applying) so I had to be careful with that step. Once the yellow sealer part was dried up I applied antiquing on top of all, wiped off and sealed again.

I may add that sealing the gold and antiquing it really brings out the gold colour allright 'cuz the type I use is more champagne really if left on it's own.

Tom

Edit: found the other pic that shows after gold was applied.

MT2.jpg

MT3.jpg

post-5146-1207660403_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1207660510_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

Ok Tom,

I just cant get over how flippin sweet these are. WOW! Dude....I mean.....Dude....these are very nice.

now i'm wonderin tom...wheres the eddie from iron maiden one??

darryl

Oh brothers, thank you alot!

So then it's just back to the drawing table with an I M logo and Eddie, lol. Why haven't I thought of it??

Truthfully the hair is scaring me a bit with figure carvings but I did some hair stuff on that flask viking. I wanna do the original style Eddie if I get to it.

I think I M is good belt stuff but my shirt's always hanging over it so I consider belts a bit of waste for myself. Maybe I can't plant that idea with some friend and I think I know one guy with tucked in shirt that will like the idea, he he gonna work him a bit.

Quite loaded with work now so I take it as it comes.

Judas Priests hellbent for leather is also a cool theme one could work with to pay tribute to old heroes oh and Accept-London leatherboys but hm well , my friends would make funny remarks if I had that on me. :head_hurts_kr:

Tom

Tom , these are sweeeet! i love the coloring and your lines are so clean, Nice!

Thank you Kimber! The lines of the pentagram came out crooked, mainly bcause of errors never noticed when transferring to the leather. Saw them after I started the carving.

Tom

geez you certainly do beautiful work. wish you were close enough to give me some pointers... ah well... love your work. Linda

This are neat, Tom! Great work!

Thank you Linda and Myriam!

I think alot of the stuff I do has to do with all good response here and off course all the gathered wisdom and helpful pointers!

Tom

I love the way you mix old with new. somehow I get the image of you standing at the bow of a viking dragon boat while jamminng on you Ipod (chuckle). sorry thats just the way my mind works sometimes. I can't get over how great your dying comes out, and your tooling as always is great. I will be studying your work since the dyes are what still throws me. thanks for sharing those.

Oh thank you Zman! I needed to hear that, today was two steps forward and one step back, lol. That's just what happens when you sleep about 4 hours per night to get time to work leather, usual job, a little time with family and messing with this stupid computer (got some HD troubles).

I use Motorola with bluetooth setup (great stuff) when I stand on the bow of my longship.

I am going to get back to posting items shortly I think, just got a few quirks to work out with the final pieces of the big rodtube I work with. It's my first so assembly is the smallest bit of this, I got problems with thinking ahead, lol. I'm kinda slow with that, normally I just yield my axe and ask questions later :blahblahblah: well I just gonna keep trying to get better and better with this and yup dyeing is hard, I really feels like the first time every time, I wonder if that will ever stop. I'm dreaming of one day to know this area as a solid science.

Vikingsalut (no nazibullf*****crap!!!): Hail!

Tom

Edit: Oh gotta add this,commenting on others stuff is a great way of learning I think. It makes your brain to start to work with aspects from within oneself rather than just reading someone elses practice (it should read a combination between the two is even greater).

Edited by TomSwede