Kevinjohnson

Homemade drawdown stand

Not to change the subject, but I would like to see a better picture of GA's drawdown horse/vise. I've seen a few diff. styles and was wondering how yours worked. Thanks KJ

Not to change the subject, but I would like to see a better picture of GA's drawdown horse/vise. I've seen a few diff. styles and was wondering how yours worked. Thanks KJ

Hi Kevin,

I use two basic stands, a draw down and my main work stand. The one you asked about is the main work stand which will hold a tree in multiple positions. I'll see what pics I might have of it. It is an amalgamation of a couple of different stands that I used for inspiration. It has a Stolman style "Old George" clamp mounted atop of a trailer hitch ball held in a clamping fixture. I recently re-built the bottom clamp using the acme screw half of a Jorgenson pipe clamp. This works even better as the clamping motion is more parallel.

Now let me look for a picture.

Ground_seat_Sep_07_114.jpg

I'll Take a better pic of the new clamp set up and post it.

These three pics are of a strainer going in. The first shows 2 types of strainer. One that I make, and the other commercially available. The folks at Sheridan Leather Outfitters can set you up with good strainers, and most anything else you need for that matter.

Ground_seat_Sep_07_055.jpg Ground_seat_Sep_07_000.jpgGround_seat_Sep_07_162.jpg

post-6386-1237220251_thumb.jpg

post-6386-1237220319_thumb.jpg

post-6386-1237220350_thumb.jpg

post-6386-1237220621_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

I use two basic stands, a draw down and my main work stand. The one you asked about is the main work stand which will hold a tree in multiple positions. I'll see what pics I might have of it. It is an amalgamation of a couple of different stands that I used for inspiration. It has a Stolman style "Old George" clamp mounted atop of a trailer hitch ball held in a clamping fixture. I recently re-built the bottom clamp using the acme screw half of a Jorgenson pipe clamp. This works even better as the clamping motion is more parallel.

Now let me look for a picture.

Ground_seat_Sep_07_114.jpg

I'll Take a better pic of the new clamp set up and post it.

These three pics are of a strainer going in. The first shows 2 types of strainer. One that I make, and the other commercially available. The folks at Sheridan Leather Outfitters can set you up with good strainers, and most anything else you need for that matter.

Ground_seat_Sep_07_055.jpg Ground_seat_Sep_07_000.jpgGround_seat_Sep_07_162.jpg

That looks good and not too hard to make. What size ball is that and could you possibly be able to post a a photo that includes all the bottom half?

Tony.

Here is the whole thing in the current configuration. I'd really like to build a new one on a barbers chair, or at least a slightly larger base. This one is standing on an old Chevy fly wheel weighted down with shot bags. The nice thing about this is it's portability. The ball is a 2".

Andrus_sdl_stnd_1.jpgAndrus_sdl_stnd_2.jpg

post-6386-1237308630_thumb.jpg

post-6386-1237308643_thumb.jpg

Here is the whole thing in the current configuration. I'd really like to build a new one on a barbers chair, or at least a slightly larger base. This one is standing on an old Chevy fly wheel weighted down with shot bags. The nice thing about this is it's portability. The ball is a 2".

Andrus_sdl_stnd_1.jpgAndrus_sdl_stnd_2.jpg

Thanks, Gordon. Is the pipe 3" and 3 1/2" ? A plough disc would be a good base,eh?

Tony.

Thanks, Gordon. Is the pipe 3" and 3 1/2" ? A plough disc would be a good base,eh?

Tony.

Hi Tony. Yeah a disc would probably be the ticket. The pipe is 3" and 3 1/2", as one piece slides into the other for up down adjusment.

Gordon

I think I'm now going to play with a plough disc and an old hills hoist,

Off topic but plough discs make great bush BBQ plates.

Barra

Hills_hoist_after_X_Fe.jpg

post-1669-1237398318_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

Hey Gord!

I really like the way you used that ball as a mod to the "old George" design. I have used my original style so long I just didn't bother to explore any mods. I think I will update mine tough. One question, where do I put the Bondo? :thumbsup:

Bondo Bob

Hi guys and gals!

New person here. Built a few saddles, took a long break due to some life changing circumstances. Now, I'm ready to get to torturing some leather again. I was cleaning out the outside shop a while back and ran into some pieces of oak that #1 son was gonna build me a deep throat stitching horse from, but didn't get close. Needless to say the plans dissapeared over the last few years. LOL! I pulled it out and took two of my main three woodworking tools (the chain saw and a rasp) and went to town. I was just cruising around looking for clamping ideas and ran across this site.

Very, very interesting! And it's great that everyone shares ideas and opinions. I took part in the colorado saddlemakers association for several years. and there was a lot of sharing in that bunch too! Plan on rejoining soon. At some of the judged shows they held, I asked my peers and the judge to go back and critique my work. They were always very willing, and gave me lots of ideas for improvement.

Although I'm just a beginner in understanding, I've got/had a few ideas that have worked well for me. And since when I started I was working for cowboy wages... hence some creativity in tools and things I used. And in the spirit that things were shown to me, and the spirit shown here, I would like to share.

I've taken an idea and played with it, and although my work is rough, it's servicable.

I need to get/ borrow another camera, since my last one shot the craps. I've got a handful of digitals of some work. If I figure how to post them?

Anyway, sorry for the long post... I made a combination draw down stand and "old George"? It was made for very few dollars and a small amount of time. My welding was limited to a cutting torch and buzzbox, along with a hacksaw on this project. A welding shop and some creativity, could no doubt could make one super nice.

A mentor of mine took some pictures a few years ago to include in an article, what it was I've no idea. That was about the time I took a break???

I promise to get some pictures up very soon! Is there any tutorial on posting them? I can borrow the GF's camera and maybe even some of her skills operating it. Just seen the attachments thing at the bottom, so I'll try some pics of some work... the pics of the drawdown will have to be taken later.

It's saying the file on another saddle was to big to upload. Live and learn.........

Saddle 046.jpg

post-12426-12586806286_thumb.jpg

Try it this way... a double wammy!

Oh yeah! These were built on Rod and Denise Nikkels trees. Nice work you two!

The first one was Jarra and the next purple heart if I remember right?

jordans saddle 039.jpg

post-12426-125868153637_thumb.jpg

Gary, Welcome to LW.net! Glad to have you here. Thanks for the compliment. Yup, remember those trees for sure. First exposed wood horns we did. You are correct on the wood types - Jarrah for the first one and Purple Heart for the second. We have used Jarrah on other exposed horns as well. Really nice wood. Nice work on the saddles too!