Kustomizer

Not Sure What To Do?

OK, I need to know what I can possibly do to fix this. I tooled an inner edge on the piece of leather that I attached to my seat pan and it seems to have stretched out and I was wondering if I could possible shrink the leather back down some how or possibly could I glue the edge down to the seat pan and what type of adhesive I would use to do this. Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_7909.jpg

IMG_7910.jpg

Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Kustomizer

I'm not a seat builder. But i think if you wet ( not soaking wet ) every thing and put a weight on it be sure to cover the leather with something so it doesn't stain from the weight if it's metal, it should lay back down and stay there when it drys.

OK, I need to know what I can possibly do to fix this. I tooled an inner edge on the piece of leather that I attached to my seat pan and it seems to have stretched out and I was wondering if I could possible shrink the leather back down some how or possibly could I glue the edge down to the seat pan and what type of adhesive I would use to do this. Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_7909.jpg

IMG_7910.jpg

Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, you need to prevent this from happening again. I'm not sure of your leather weight, but it looks thin. I use 7/8 oz. Second way to prevent this is to leave more leather on the back. Instead of the huge opening in the back, Cut two circles for the spring studs and a long slit for the mounting hardware.

Ok, how to fix it. I would wet it, push the leather back down and dry it quickly. I'd us a hair dryer or something similar. Do not use an oven. When it looks pretty dry, put it aside for at least a day without touching the leather.

Best of luck,

Dave Theobald

First of all, you need to prevent this from happening again. I'm not sure of your leather weight, but it looks thin. I use 7/8 oz. Second way to prevent this is to leave more leather on the back. Instead of the huge opening in the back, Cut two circles for the spring studs and a long slit for the mounting hardware.

Ok, how to fix it. I would wet it, push the leather back down and dry it quickly. I'd us a hair dryer or something similar. Do not use an oven. When it looks pretty dry, put it aside for at least a day without touching the leather.

Best of luck,

Dave Theobald

Thanks David for the reply. I usually use heavier leather on the seat bottom and will cut out less on future seats. I'll give it a try and see if I can get it back in place, thanks!

Another way of preventing this is to line the back of the leather with blue painters tape before you tool anything on it. This really helps the leather not stretch and make sure that your leather is not soaking wet.

Another way of preventing this is to line the back of the leather with blue painters tape before you tool anything on it. This really helps the leather not stretch and make sure that your leather is not soaking wet.

Great tip, thanks. I really think the leather being too wet when I did this was a big part of my problem.

i'm still new and working this out (tooling-wise, more use to leaving stuff plain or using an exotic for a top layer), but do you prefer the blue tape over using packing tape or rubber cement/cardstock method? and why? just curious... thanks for the help. take care.

eric

Edited by mugwump

I agree with David. I'm not crazy about the hair dryer, but when a MASTER speaks, it's best to listen...

I would wet the leather until it was workable, then lay it out on an old couch cushion or other piece of foam rubber, lay a brick on the pan and let it dry overnight without touching it. The brick is heavy enough to press the leather into the foam rubber cushion, pushing the buckled leather into place, then dries there...

I wouldn't be too concerned with it, you've got a pretty easy fix, then you're back in business!

Can't wait to see it!!

i'm still new and working this out (tooling-wise, more use to leaving stuff plain or using an exotic for a top layer), but do you prefer the blue tape over using packing tape or rubber cement/cardstock method? and why? just curious... thanks for the help. take care.

eric

I also use the blue painters tape, I can't say I prefer it over packing tape because I haven't used both, I just happened to have blue painters tape at the time. Neither stretch so I'd say both would work just fine. I have rubber cemented stuff down but I glue to the tape and not the leather, It seems like that would be less of a mess. So far I've only glued down the smaller projects and not my seats, I use the tape on the back and I haven't ever had a problem with stretching, although it does tend to curl up when drying, If I ever find something big enough to glue a seat cover to I'll try it..

I am in no way an expert, but I've had no problems with my method so far.