CrashInBlack

Oily Utility Side - What Do I Do With It?

I just picked up one of these Oily Utility Sides from Tandy at a very good price, and I'd like some suggestions for what I can make from it. I'm thinking maybe rifle slings and bags, but I'm not sure. I've done quite a few holsters and a couple belts, but this is my first non-veg tan leather. I picked it up because it was a good deal. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks :)

Chaps, soft side tool bags, straps (it may be a little oily for a belt).....that kind of things.

How do you think it would work for suspenders or shoulder holster straps? Too oily? It doesn't really feel oily to the touch but I wouldn't want it to rub off on a shirt.

Those hides have a lot of stretch to them, and very little rigidity. I wouldn't use them for suspenders or belts. I keep buying them when they're on sale, and I use them to make gussets for bags, or entire bags, liners for horse tack or other things. I've also made matching chap / vest sets.

I've an oily burgundy side which I've kept for a year. It already has mould starting on it.

Reason why I haven't used it is because I found that it stained the roll of suede it was stored next to. When i saw that, I took a serviette, and rub on both grain and flesh side vigorously. Both sides have colour bleeding onto the serviette.

That's why till now I can't think of doing anything with it. Wouldn't want to make a bag and have the customer saying I ruined his/her $100 shirt.