Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

what went wrong with the antique paste?

I started work on a small bed table. I traced the pattern and cut and pounded the leather. Now it was time to stain. Should have asked this question first. Looked okay so I dyed parts black. Had my hand on the leather to steady the brush. Still looked okay. Stained with the Feibing paste. Looked okay, BUT and EXCEPT. Had some places that looked like water stains that was darked than the rest. Is this from oils from me ? How do you 'deglaze/clean' the surface first? I've read that you can use alcohol but just what is the method. I did a no-no and applied a coat of darker stain. Not what I wanted so I guess I'll start that one over. Any help will be appreciated.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

IM002619.JPG

post-41-1182835025_thumb.jpg

Jim, First off... it looks great... really...

As for the darker parts that you covered with fiebings... It happens to me all the time.. gotten so i DO NOT like to use the Antique Paste anymore... When I do anything with the leather (that can absorbe oils), I were gloves...

I have asked others and may have started a thread here about fiebings causing darker spots... I think it has to do with my method of applying the paste... I used to use a dobber and get someone the dobber, then apply to the leather... I would get these darker spots especially where I first touched the leather with the paste on the dobber... I have played around and use VIVA paper towels because they are cloth like and fold it up and dab a little paste on it, and apply the paste to the leather in circle patterns, then use the paper towel to wipe it off.... I havent gotten oil spotting since...

Why don't you guys do what I do. Bite the bullet and simply apply the paste with your fingers. It works just as well as a sheepskin piece- you get it into all the crevices, and it washes off if you don't wait to long. No dark spots and oil deposits.

Check out Chan Geer's video and many others. They don't use gloves but they sure coat their fingers when they dip the sheepskin in the jar.

pete