Sign in to follow this  
cjcinin317

Made A Blue Holster For A Friend.

A friend had helped me out on a couple of small projects lately and as a thank you I offered to make him a holster similar to one of mine he liked.

I asked what color he would like expecting to hear saddle tan or black.

He responded with "can ya make it blue".

Well here it is. Cant really get a good pic of it and my camera battery died while trying.

The holster is horsehide with cowhide belt loops. Dyed with Eco-Flo from Tandy. I know Eco-Flo has few fans but it really wasn't that bad. The horsehide came out great with about thee applications to get the dark navy color I was going for. The cowhide loops were not so easy. Probably six coats and still an odd color. I started buffy the loops and then oiling and the color finally came out decent.

I like it especially with the white stitching. Its different for sure.

Thanks for looking

CJ

post-17161-056649600 1331392201_thumb.jp

post-17161-049098800 1331392154_thumb.jp

Edited by cjcinin317

Horsehide and cowhide can be expected to react differently to dyes, with shades of variations inevitable. I've dealt with some issues when customers order horsehide holsters and cowhide belts, etc.

Only blue items I've ever done were a belt to match a pair of cowboy boots in navy blue, and a matching holster/pouch/belt set for a female police officer who felt a need to "accessorize" for her wardrobe (she also had a red set made).

Very nice work on the holster.

I like the dark blue, looks pretty classy-you sure won't see many more like it. 

Edited by mncarpenter

You do good work. I like the eco flo dyes. i have started using the new stain from Tandy. I like the stain better than the dye.