muzisch

Singer 45K89 Info And Help Wanted

Hi,

I am planning to buy a singer 45k89 with a roller foot. Is there someone amongst you who have experiences with this model? What are its weak points, are there tolerances I need to lookout for? The selles say's that the wire at the underside is "looping" due to a worn screw in the shuttle. I have jet to see the screw, perhaps only the screwhead is worn.

Youre help is highly appreciated!

post-42521-0-49262600-1417101168_thumb.j

post-42521-0-19175900-1417101223_thumb.j

Be aware that parts for these ancient Singer 45 types are few and far between. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Missing screws may have to be custom turned.

Hello Wiz,

Thanks for your reply! The seller says that the tensionspring screw is worn but the Singer is complete. The singer sells for 50€, wich is not mutch. Iam wondering if I should take the risc and buy the singer.

Would it be possible to rethread en place a new screw?

greetings, Dennis

I would buy it unseen for 50€ if it has a roller foot. Is it the one in the pictures above? Then I would buy it no matter what!

If you can´t get it to work send me a PM - I can use the roller foot for my Singer 133K3 ;)

Where in the Netherlanders do you live?

Edited by Constabulary

Hi, I'm surprised to see a roller foot 45K89, as the three I have are all with the jump foot and reverse. The machine in the photo looks particularly nice. With regards to the roller foot, Darren of Able Sewing here in Australia can supply them new if you are interested. The 45K is a good machine, good up to around 10mm thickness, screws are readily available over here and international mail for such a small item is cheap. I think there are only 3 screws in the 45K shuttle, one that the barrel pivots on, the second to hold in the spring that locks the barrel (bobbin case) in and the third is the tension spring. Of all of those the only one I'd expect to wear would the be the second Ie the tension spring screw. Insufficient tension due to a stripped screw would be more likely to produce a loose or looped thread on the top rather than the bottom. To loop on the bottom I'd suspect the top tension to be too loose or even the thread takeup spring has either been bypassed or is faulty. Best Regards Steve

Great price! iam no expert but it looks like there is a bar and its screw missing on the back which is for regulating the tension on the foot. i think it is the same type as the singer 29k machines. (and the oil box is from adler) but who cares!

post-32832-0-34820000-1418056101_thumb.j

yes like simgermania said this is a jump foot machine and did not come with the roller foot, looks like they have taken the foot assembly off. the one in the picture is the correct one for this machine.

post-32832-0-32029800-1418056758_thumb.jpost-32832-0-19802200-1418056823_thumb.j

this video is the flatbed version but is the same type of jump foot as the 45k89, so you probably have the bar and foot assembly missing and just a roller foot added which has made this basically into a 45k25. if you wanted it to work as a jump foot you need to see what parts are missing because i do not think these are easy to find. but as i said before i am no expert muzish. still for 50€ if it works and sews great!.

Edited by jimi

Nice machine buy it the fun of working on it will make you appreciate it more the screws shouldn't be a big problem , looks like its had a pretty good life with lots of time still in her. If you don't fix it you can part it out and make more then you paid anyway . I'd buy the oil box if you do that. Hope she works good for you I have an Adler made like it and love it . I think the number is 104 mo or something like that. But she works for me and I have about $1,100 in mine . I added a reducer which made it nice and slow. Silverbullet

This is a very nice machine from the looks of the photo. Buy it in a heart beat for that amount of money. I just paid 250 US dollars for the one I bought. I need parts for the one I bought there are parts available for the older machines.

The oil box is original Singer the one on my machine is just like it.

You should check with a company in the USofA named www.hendersonsewing.com/manual.asp this will get the parts manual for the machine and any parts that are available for your machine can be purchased from Henderson.

Good luck with your new toy they are very nice machines.

Muzisch,

Recently I was able to purchase a small lot of vintage Singer parts, which I have been trying to identify. So far most of them are for at least the Singer 45K56 and 45K89. A couple of the pieces I was able to use on my 45K25 restoration. Here are some pictures of the parts:

post-52198-0-53567500-1418327150_thumb.jpost-52198-0-61930500-1418327151_thumb.jpost-52198-0-19347900-1418327153_thumb.j

I'll post the part numbers with the parts once I figure them out. Here's a link to the 45K56,89 manual I've been using to identify the parts:

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K56,K89.pdf

The two parts in the lower left-hand corner of image 3054 may be very significant, they're part of the Guide Holder and Presser Bar Gripping Bracket. You can find them on plates 1075 and 1070 respectively in the parts manual, I have no idea how they're used, maybe others can help

If you need any of the parts for your machine, let me know. I need an Oil Box and edge guide to complete my K25.

:nono: that is an adler oil box geneva.

Muzisch,

Recently I was able to purchase a small lot of vintage Singer parts, which I have been trying to identify. So far most of them are for at least the Singer 45K56 and 45K89. A couple of the pieces I was able to use on my 45K25 restoration. Here are some pictures of the parts:

attachicon.gifEbay u. k. partsIMG_3054.JPGattachicon.gifEbay u. k. parts IMG_3055.JPGattachicon.gifEbay u. k. parts IMG_3056.JPG

I'll post the part numbers with the parts once I figure them out. Here's a link to the 45K56,89 manual I've been using to identify the parts:

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K56,K89.pdf

The two parts in the lower left-hand corner of image 3054 may be very significant, they're part of the Guide Holder and Presser Bar Gripping Bracket. You can find them on plates 1075 and 1070 respectively in the parts manual, I have no idea how they're used, maybe others can help

If you need any of the parts for your machine, let me know. I need an Oil Box and edge guide to complete my K25.

Evo, do you have the part #'s for the feed dogs,and are the tension assemblies still available.I'm trying to chase down an oil box for you.

Frank

Frank,

The feed dog part numbers are 91422 and 91576. The are identical except the 91576 has finer teeth than the 91422. From what I've learned, they fit at least the 45K25, 56, 58 and 89 when used with the corresponding needle plate, of course.

I still have the tension assemblies, the larger has a piece broken off of the split threaded end but still works properly with the loose piece in place. It should be brazed back on and re-threaded.

Please let me know if you would like to know the numbers for any of the other parts. I've been researching their numbers and fitment and plan to post them here and in the Marketplace forum. The only part I haven't been able to identify is the 14554 (made in USA) Shuttle Race. Would you know what machine(s) that fits?

Ideally I would like to complete my 45K25 machine, which needs the oil box and a few smaller pieces.

The Guide Holder Bracket and the Presser Bar Gripping Bracket are used on a number of different machines, but I still don't know how they're used. Hopefully someone will know.

The Presser Bar Gripping Bracket is used for the jump foot motion and is located above the top of the face plate where your presser foot tension screw is on your 25. and the Guide Holder Bracket is in one of your posts about restoring your 45k25. you can see it with the gude and the two screws present. it is a swing guide oposed to the fixed ones that come on the 45k21,25 machines. you are missing screw nº SS39 which holds it to the arm (simillar to the oil box screw but longer), the hinge lever and the screw that fixes it to the plate which is used to hold the guide in place and stops it from lifting up. hope this helps,jimi.

post-32832-0-97652300-1418513996_thumb.jpost-32832-0-48315800-1418514019_thumb.j

Edited by jimi

Hi Jimi,

Thanks for shedding light on those parts. I see the Guide Holder Bracket in the picture you're mentioning, that's very helpful.

Are you able to refer me to a picture of a machine fitted with the Presser Bar Gripping Bracket? I'm still unclear on it.

What are those "SAVE" icons for? Are they supposed to open?

Thanks Jimi.

Al

Edited by Evo160K

Frank,

The feed dog part numbers are 91422 and 91576. The are identical except the 91576 has finer teeth than the 91422. From what I've learned, they fit at least the 45K25, 56, 58 and 89 when used with the corresponding needle plate, of course.

I still have the tension assemblies, the larger has a piece broken off of the split threaded end but still works properly with the loose piece in place. It should be brazed back on and re-threaded.

Please let me know if you would like to know the numbers for any of the other parts. I've been researching their numbers and fitment and plan to post them here and in the Marketplace forum. The only part I haven't been able to identify is the 14554 (made in USA) Shuttle Race. Would you know what machine(s) that fits?

Ideally I would like to complete my 45K25 machine, which needs the oil box and a few smaller pieces.

The Guide Holder Bracket and the Presser Bar Gripping Bracket are used on a number of different machines, but I still don't know how they're used. Hopefully someone will know.

Evo

The 91756 feed dog is in the 45k53 manual,General purpose which I'm pretty sure is the one on my machine. The 91422 isn't in my manual.Is there any numbers on the tension assembly parts ,like the discs or thread roller(one looks like a primary ,the other a secondary.

Thre presser bar gripping bracket is in my manual,and on the picture of the machine on cover of manual,but muy machine doesn't have it,sews great without it. Do you know what it does?

Evo

The 91756 feed dog is in the 45k53 manual,General purpose which I'm pretty sure is the one on my machine. The 91422 isn't in my manual.Is there any numbers on the tension assembly parts ,like the discs or thread roller(one looks like a primary ,the other a secondary.

Thre presser bar gripping bracket is in my manual,and on the picture of the machine on cover of manual,but muy machine doesn't have it,sews great without it.

is the presser bar gripper inside the faceplate or on top of faceplate

Edited by Frankqv

Frank,

The small tension split screw stud is marked 413, the two discs are marked 2102. The large split stud is SS317, both discs are marked 82447 and the pulley wheel is marked 82448.

The 91576 feed dog has 13 teeth and the 91422 is identical and has 8 teeth that are a bit deeper, apparently for handling heavier material.

LW member Jimi comments on it's location in this topic a post or two before your #16.

I sure would like to see a picture of how it's mounted on a machine. Are you able to direct me to a source for the 45K53 parts manual you're using?

The Presser Bar Gripping Bracket is used for the jump foot motion and is located above the top of the face plate where your presser foot tension screw is on your 25.

Franqv, your machine does not use the presser bar gripping bracket in the pictures of evo.

Franqv, your machine does not use the presser bar gripping bracket in the pictures of evo.

Thanks Jimi

Frank,

The small tension split screw stud is marked 413, the two discs are marked 2102. The large split stud is SS317, both discs are marked 82447 and the pulley wheel is marked 82448.

The 91576 feed dog has 13 teeth and the 91422 is identical and has 8 teeth that are a bit deeper, apparently for handling heavier material.

LW member Jimi comments on it's location in this topic a post or two before your #16.

I sure would like to see a picture of how it's mounted on a machine. Are you able to direct me to a source for the 45K53 parts manual you're using?

Evo

I'm interested in the two tension assemblies, guide mount and the 91576 feed dog,you never have enough spares

The Presser Bar Gripping Bracket is used for the jump foot motion and is located above the top of the face plate where your presser foot tension screw is on your 25.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your interest. My hope is to swap these parts and/or some Adler parts I just acquired for the parts to complete my 45K25. It seems money isn't helping to find the parts it needs, they're so rare

I'm planning to use the guide mount for my K25, if I can find the SS30 screw and the guide to complete it. What parts do you have to exchange? I need the Singer 91797 oil box, a 91329 throat plate, an 86135 material guide, the SS30 guide screw, the 91218 guide lever, an SS395 oil box stud, an 85532 right presser foot or equal, maybe a machine mounted Singer bobbin winder, a couple of Singer 95093 bobbins and various Singer screws.

If I'm unsuccessful swapping for what I need, and you still need the parts, I'll offer them to you first, that's a promise

Thanks Frank

Edited by Evo160K

Thanks EVO,

I will try to track down some parts for you

You're welcome and thank you, Frank.

So in the end, did you buy the machine muzisch???

I've been following, with great interest all of your posts and reply's! It's nice to see that it helped some of you.

@jimi:

Thanks for asking, but I did not. I have had a nice long chat with the owner who used to make horse harnesses for a living, allthough not on this machine. It was nice to meet someone with a the same interests for making quality products. For me the 45k was to badly worn: the shuttle plate was ratteling in its housing and the roller foot was odly offset. It would take a lot of time and effort, probely a lot of money to, to make it work again.

After speaking with the seller realised that I don't work that much with veg tan leather exceeding 6 or 7 oz. that I need such a strong machine. Stitching by hand will be sufficient enough for me. Besides, I find that handsewing has a zen thing going for it :-) After talking about our hobby's for a while he was not sure he would still sell it. The seller is going to try and restore the machine himself, perhaps for making harnesses on it. I hope he will succeed.

@ Constabulary:

I hope you find your roller foot and I am sorry that I cannot help you.