GirlFromScandinavia

I need help on carving and colouring flames

Im finishing off a pair of boots and I wanted some advice on how I can get my tribal flames to look good. Anyone wana give me a tip to good picks or tutorialls! I d really appriciate it!! Thanks a million in advance!

PS. Im looking for inspirationall paterns on devils, sculls ect. but the hardest part for me are backgrounds for pictures like sculls. Its just so boring to place a solo scull for example and having the background blanck. How do I continue enlarging the details. Thats probably a stupid question and Ill figure out when I get more experience!!

Anyhow, Happy working to everybody!

Edited by GirlFromScandinavia

Hi there girly:-)

I enclose a picture of items with flames I have made. They're colored with spirit dye, not paint.

I start out by diluting both yellow and red.

I dye the flames in yellow then slowly build the colors up with more yellow, orange (a mix of the yellow and red) and the red until I'm happy with the resault.

It takes time and I have discovered that to keep the work "wet" makes it easier to blend the coors...I even start out with adding some water to the surface of the flames.

I'm sure others will jump in with their tips and trick too:-)

LW.jpg

post-5624-126121480247_thumb.jpg

Hi there girly:-)

I enclose a picture of items with flames I have made. They're colored with spirit dye, not paint.

I start out by diluting both yellow and red.

I dye the flames in yellow then slowly build the colors up with more yellow, orange (a mix of the yellow and red) and the red until I'm happy with the resault.

It takes time and I have discovered that to keep the work "wet" makes it easier to blend the coors...I even start out with adding some water to the surface of the flames.

I'm sure others will jump in with their tips and trick too:-)

Tack så mykket Tina!!

De just vad jag needed...english is bettre!!

Your atleast awake!! Im going to start working on the flames soon, I´ll send a pick when I get finnished with the whole bit, It might be tommorrow, since Im having my sauna beer at around four!! thank a million!!

Here's the way I did my last set of holsters.Dave

chad2.jpg

Here's the way I did my last set of holsters.Dave

chad2.jpg

There's a unique idea.

As far as inspirational patterns you can try deviantart.com, they have a ton of skull/flame and other art work that lends itself well for practice pieces. Most of the art can be downloaded as .jpg and then you can use photoshop, illustrator, corel or someother editing software to scale the work accordingly. I then print it out on ink jet vellum paper for tracing. Just remember this is somebody elses artwork and shouldn't be used commercially unless you get permission. As far as coloring, I just play with different combinations of dye's and paints to get the look I like. The new eco-flow color book from Tandy does a decent job for idea generation on how to use their dyes and paints.

I´m with Tina!!! Yellow, red and mix them + diluting with alcohol. What mixtures...just gotta exeriment away I think.

Keep us posted!!!

Tom

I started with the natural leather color added yellow and then saddle tan and a bit of red. i kept the sponge wet and added color a small bit at a time. I made this seat a year ago and its kept its color good.

1st seat.JPG

post-8620-126297938404_thumb.jpg

I did these real flames with sharpies....the dragon is metallic silver sharpie....

100_0442.JPG

100_0441.JPG

post-13641-127241588366_thumb.jpg

post-13641-12724170317_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did for flames, just used Tandy's Eco-Flo black and red dyes and super sheen. I painted the red first with two coats. Then I used Super Sheen. I went over the whole thing with black, and may have left it on there to long because some of it stayed on the red. I kinda like it, gives it a sinister look.

post-15357-127811605116_thumb.jpg