humperdingle

The Smell Of Leather...

Will I ever get tired of the smell?

Pretty much every time I start a new piece, I have a sniff of the leather... It's like the smell of frying bacon or onions - Irresistible :blush:

I have a cupboard in the house, with a louvre, slotted front, where I store my leather. Every time you pass, there's a whiff of leather. Nice.

I like the smell of leather too...I doubt if you'll ever get tired of the smell!

I also really like the smell. I have often wondered what it is that creates the smell. When the process is started it is a rather icky smell, then it somehow transforms to what we like.

Aaron

Mine is stored in a closed closet. That heavenly smell just lingers in there until you open the door, then you really get hooked. LOL

ferg

I dont think you can get tired of the smell of leather but when you get used to it you dont always notice it anymore :(

Mine is stored in a closed closet. That heavenly smell just lingers in there until you open the door, then you really get hooked. LOL

ferg

Same here, my small workshop now smells like an old sewing machine but when I open that storage closet woo hoo much more pleasant.

Clair

Yep, I am in the same boat a leather smell lover for sure!

I just smelled my leather coffee cup wrap I made when I did the dishes tonight. Do that all the time.

I don't think I would work with leather if it was stinky. Same with woodworking....maple, cedar, cocobolo all smell gorgeous when you cut them.

I have no particular like or dislike of the smell of leather, however, I have noticed that ladies like the smell of leather, so I have been trying to develop a Leather Cologne. Nothing else I do these days seems to help!!! Seriously, when I'm at craft shows that is the most heard remark, people will pick up a piece and sniff it and say, "I just love the smell of leather".

Chief

I get a similar thing from customers/browsers.

They come along, pick up a pouch, open it & have a sniff the put it back down!

Maybe I should charge for the usage.

I have no particular like or dislike of the smell of leather, however, I have noticed that ladies like the smell of leather, so I have been trying to develop a Leather Cologne. Nothing else I do these days seems to help!!! Seriously, when I'm at craft shows that is the most heard remark, people will pick up a piece and sniff it and say, "I just love the smell of leather".

Chief

Chief, If you can come up with a Leather Cologne that really smells like leather, I'm the first to buy!!

Chief, If you can come up with a Leather Cologne that really smells like leather, I'm the first to buy!!

I'm working on it in my evil labratory. Not really, I don't do chemistry, spent 6 years in college but didn't take any chemistry courses after high school. I'm afraid i'd blow the place up. LOL.

Chief

I will say this...If anyone ever comes up with the right concoction, it will be the hottest thing going! :thumbsup:

I will say this...If anyone ever comes up with the right concoction, it will be the hottest thing going! :thumbsup:

Mmmm... Women that smell like leather.

I absolutely love the smell too. My day job is in a shoe store, and every day I hear ladies mention the smell as soon as they walk in the door. The funny thing is, the shoe store smell is much more rubber than it is leather smell (the store doesn't sell synthetic leather shoes, though). Every time I get a new shipment of hides, the first thing I do before I even unroll it is take a big whiff of that amazing aroma.

Also, I found these a while ago, but I never bought one. I wonder how close the smell is to real leather. It is a candle company called "Man Cans." They make candles that would appeal to men. The leather one is called "New Mitt."

http://man-cans.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

I absolutely love the smell too. My day job is in a shoe store, and every day I hear ladies mention the smell as soon as they walk in the door. The funny thing is, the shoe store smell is much more rubber than it is leather smell (the store doesn't sell synthetic leather shoes, though). Every time I get a new shipment of hides, the first thing I do before I even unroll it is take a big whiff of that amazing aroma.

Also, I found these a while ago, but I never bought one. I wonder how close the smell is to real leather. It is a candle company called "Man Cans." They make candles that would appeal to men. The leather one is called "New Mitt."

http://man-cans.com/...t&product_id=55

I think the best smell of leather is in a leather coat/jacket store. Not sure why but that particular smell is HEAVEN. It's probably a toxic chemical they're using on the coats and maybe shoes too. I have no idea. Yes, the man cans were on The Shark Tank show. I wonder if it stays true to the smell when burning. I know Scentsy candle wax in the leather scent smell great in the unmelted form but when you start warming it up eventually it starts smelling like the fertilizer area in the grocer store. Very strong and bleachy.

there is a leather fragrance/ smelly, which leather suite technicians use sometimes to spray under seats in cars or on suites when they have repaired them. haven't used it so don't know how close the smell is though. believe it is oil based

al

When I was a kid a loooooog time ago.. My Grandpa owned and operated s shoe repair shot in the pacific nw. I got to work for him on Saturday's shining shoes for 4 bits a pair. I split that with the shop. I would have done it free. Gramps also did harness and tack repair work in addition he made orthopedic shoes. The whole place smelled like leather you know that smell. When I go down stairs into my basement shop, open the door, that leather smell takes me back to that special time with my Grandpa (we lived with Gramps at the time as my dad was overseas in Korea)…

That's a cool story. It is amazing how much scent can generate memories and emotions.

You can be in a busy public place and a girl with THAT perfume walks past and whammo those memories flood back

Edited by WScott