David

Newest seat

Decided to post the latest seat.It is for a different seat pan so there was pattern drafting involved....one of my least favorite things to do.I ordered my leather from Wickett and Craig. It arrived a day ahead of schedule so I got an early startHere is the first day's work.The seat pan with the patterns attached to check fit.early work on the seat back.

Day two, The seat back was pretty much finished.

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

post-5652-1228361982_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228361997_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228362008_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228362063_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228362086_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228362122_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228362150_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

It's going to be another masterpiece David, can't wait to see the finished product.

Ken

Looks great David!

A little different than the seats you usually do.

Is the top panel going to be plain?

Looks great David!

A little different than the seats you usually do.

Is the top panel going to be plain?

Hey Tom,

It is going to be far from plain. I'm doing a side view of an evo engine. Kinda challenging at this small size. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Dave

Edited by David

Here are some later photos to give you an idea of what is going to be done on the front of this seat.

Dave

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

post-5652-1228478408_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228478417_thumb.jpg

That engine will be killer, super detailed drawing and excellent work so far, well done as usual, I would be lucky to get anywhere near that good!, the recipient will be one proud rider.

Thanks for the nice words guys,

Here are the last two of the tooling shots.

I think I'm done.

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

post-5652-1228501657_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228501668_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work David! I love your stuff! One of these days I'm going to figure out how to incorporate some tat art like you do, into some of my floral tooling. I'm always impressed with how clean your work is! Mine always looks "overhandled"....it probably is! Keep it coming...want to see more!

Bob

Your work is awesome. I really like it. Well done - again!

Art

Thanks for all the kind words folks, it is truely appreciated.

Now I get to start the part that I really enjoy. The seat front is going to get the full decorative lace treatment. I do love to lace.

Thanks again,

Dave Theobald

The lacing is finished. Assembly starts tomorrow.

Hope you like the results so far.

Dave

IMG_1401.JPG

post-5652-1228616360_thumb.jpg

Here we go,

As soon as my client tells me the color of lace, I'll be ready to give it a go.

Dave Theobald

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

post-5652-1228658829_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228658841_thumb.jpg

Dave, The seat looks great!! Your seats always look like perfection! Your tooling is so good and the skulls are well proportioned and have the "evil" look that jumps out at you! PERFECT!!!

Nice job, as always!!

Rick Jorgenson

P.S.

I swear I am going to do a "skull" saddle !!! Yours are a inspiration!!!

Hey Rick,

I have to tell you, I am not a skull guy. This particular one is painted on my customer's tank, so it isn't my inspiration.

There are so many more artistic genres to explore. Recently I've been having a great time with Japanese tattoo artwork. Dragons, koi fish and Samurai warriors are much more fun to do. The Japanese style artwork is so original and spontaneous; it makes for great leather working challenges.

Thanks for the compliments. They are always appreciated and give me motivation to keep on working.

I feel a Samurai coming on.....lol

David Theobald

It is almost finished. I'm sure you will all be glad of that. This has taken a bit longer than I expected. Probably because the seat in rather large and the pan weighs at least twice what my normal pans do. This is a Fabricator Kevin seat pan, it is truely a work of art.

I should finish the lacing this morning. That would leave the staining and finishing for tomorrow.

Dave

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

post-5652-1228733080_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228733090_thumb.jpg

Amazing, as always!

I've also come to the conclusion that along with doing beautiful work, David never sleeps. Ever.

The seat is ready to start the finishing process

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

post-5652-1228770879_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228770891_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228770902_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, David! I like how the lacing accents the work. Not overdone, just enough.

I do have a question about these types of seats, though. Being a rider myself and knowing how sore you can get on a long ride on a padded seat, I can't imagine how it feels after sitting on one of these things for hours. Are they more comfortable than they look?

Beautiful work, David! I like how the lacing accents the work. Not overdone, just enough.

I do have a question about these types of seats, though. Being a rider myself and knowing how sore you can get on a long ride on a padded seat, I can't imagine how it feels after sitting on one of these things for hours. Are they more comfortable than they look?

Schno,

Remember your 4" of foam is mounted to the frame. This seat mounts to a bronze bearing pivot and 4"-5" springs. They ARE more comfortable than they look. Don't get me wrong, they are no lazy boy recliners, but the guys here in Cincy ride them to N. Carolina every year to the Smokeout.

But mostly choppers are really what their "other" nickname implys. Barhoppers.

Dave

Final installment......finally.

The seat is complete....a little atom wax after it has dried for 24 hours and it is finished then it will be off to California.

Dave

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

post-5652-1228794764_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228794790_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228794816_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1228794828_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Dave, you did some stretching to the leather before carving right?

Did you attach the leather to something to keep it from stretching when tooling?

Beautiful seat, love the coloring. Awesome!

Very good looking finished seat David. Im sure that is gonna be another happy customer when they get that on there bike.

Oh also when you say atom wax, is that the same as the leather balm with atom wax? Ive been using that stuff lately and I really like it, just make sure the dye is dry or youll be pulling most of it up lol. Has a lovely finish though.

Edited by MADMAX22

Dave, you did some stretching to the leather before carving right?

Did you attach the leather to something to keep it from stretching when tooling?

Beautiful seat, love the coloring. Awesome!

Wolvenstien,

7 -8 oz leather doesn't stretch much, but it was attached to my tooling board to do the tooling work. The main shrinkage that I encounter are due to long runs of decorative lacing. They tend to compact the leather a bit and "shrink" the seat tops and backs. It isn't a huge amount but maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch over the length of the seat. It is a small enough factor that they can be pulled back into place when the top is tied to the back in preparation for final lacing.

Thanks for taking a look at the project.

Dave Theobald

Very good looking finished seat David. Im sure that is gonna be another happy customer when they get that on there bike.

Oh also when you say atom wax, is that the same as the leather balm with atom wax? Ive been using that stuff lately and I really like it, just make sure the dye is dry or youll be pulling most of it up lol. Has a lovely finish though.

Glad you like the finish MadMax, it is a combination of medium brown, saddle tan and sheridan paste antiquing. I like the color and hope the customer does too.

That is Leather Balm with atom wax that I use. I've never had it pull up like you describe. The only thing I have noticed is that it has a tendency to turn to a whitish powder after a year or so on a bike. Some saddle soap and a scrubbing with a toothbrush followed by Aussie cream seem to do the trick and freshen the seat up.

I used Lexol on the seat prior to antiquing and really like the even finish it gives to the project. I didn't get any antiquing splotches as can sometimes happen.

Thanks for taking a look at the project.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David