glockanator

Best Weight And Cut For Holsters.

I have been doing holsters for just over a year and a half. I have never bought anything other than Tandy leather. I am thinking of getting some HO but want the best bang for the buck. I have been using 6-7oz which I like but should I get back,belly,shoulder etc....thanks

I'd go for HO grade A or B sides or backs.

I've bought HO from just about everybody that sell it and have found what Springfield calls grade B looks like the cow ran through a mine field. Weaver sells tannery run HO but that’s a crap shoot as well.

From what I've found from actual purchasing experience is that Goliger has the best stuff there is in A & B grade HO unless you buy grade A's 10 at a time direct from HO.

http://www.goligerleather.com/index.html

I'd go for HO grade A or B sides or backs.

I've bought HO from just about everybody that sell it and have found what Springfield calls grade B looks like the cow ran through a mine field. Weaver sells tannery run HO but that’s a crap shoot as well.

From what I've found from actual purchasing experience is that Goliger has the best stuff there is in A & B grade HO unless you buy grade A's 10 at a time direct from HO.

http://www.goligerle....com/index.html

Thank you. Finally, someone else who isn't afraid to say it. I've bought Tandy leather. And I've bought "B" grade HO from SLC (well, 'she' did). Some of the Springfield leather was actually pretty nice. Some of it, not so much. Yet, all marched "B".

Edited by JLSleather

Thank you. Finally, someone else who isn't afraid to say it. I've bought Tandy leather. And I've bought "B" grade HO from SLC (well, 'she' did). Some of the Springfield leather was actually pretty nice. Some of it, not so much. Yet, all marched "B".

I used to get good B's from SLC when they first started selling HO but after they started selling those little HO squares for the hobby trade I just couldn't get any good B's anymore. They looked like C's & D's. I quit buying leather from Weaver & SLC since I found Goliger. I still buy other stuff from Weaver, Tandy, & SLC but not leather.

Edited by PappyUSA

How would you guys rate this leather?

http://www.zackwhite...ico_p_3633.html

I would be unfair for me to comment on it because I've never used shoulders from ZW but I did get some good horse butts from them a 2 or 3 years ago. And I found ZW just as easy and quick to deal with as most others.

Edited by PappyUSA

Back is good. Shoulder is good. Bellies are soft, spongy, fat wrinkled and how do I say this? Bad. At least for holsters. Patterns, maybe.

I buy mine by the side now from Thoroughbred leather. I've bought from American Leather Direct too. Got good stuff from both. Had some recent hides with more flaws. From talking to a couple of makers and supplier it seems good hides are getting harder to come buy. I've bought at least one recently at a discount price because of brands and surface issues. But the HO I got wasn't much better anyway and was a good bit more on the price.

If you are moving decent numbers, save up the money and start buying full sides or at least full backs (belly cut off). I do this on the side, and I finally decided to cut off all my spending that was not necessary. Then I ordered a couple sides. I'll never go back. I usually order 2-3 at a time now. FWIW, I prefer 8-9 oz on my leather holsters.

I use double shoulders from Weaver and ask them to make the flesh side as smooth as possible. I have never had a problem with Weaver.

For cowboy competition, I use 8-9 out and a 4-5 liner. Same on the belt. I am not an expert on leather quality but the leather from Zack's does well and looks good (to me).

I use 8-9 for OWB holsters and 6-7 or 8-9 for IWB holsters depending on the size of the gun. For a shield or Sig P938 6-7 works really well as an IWB.

Buy a back or double shoulder, or single shoulder but stay away from Belly unless you are making something you want to really stretch. If you get shoulder watch the area near the neck. It can stretch almost as bad as a belly.

Michael

I used to get good B's from SLC when they first started selling HO but after they started selling those little HO squares for the hobby trade I just couldn't get any good B's anymore. They looked like C's & D's. I quit buying leather from Weaver & SLC since I found Goliger. I still buy other stuff from Weaver, Tandy, & SLC but not leather.

How much are the A grade at Goliger?

The last one came in at $230.00 after shipping from Ca. to Tx. for a side and a little less for a back. Very little more $ than SLC & Weaver but much more quality.

edit:

I should have mentioned that the side was a rather large piece, close to 24 I think.

Edited by PappyUSA

I emailed Golier and they said HO doesn't sell double shoulders. Foes anyone know what the average sq/ft is from Golier on shoulder pieces?

Goliger has HO "A" grade at $8.32/ft, at least for the full sides

Edited by JLSleather

HO. Nothing better in my book. and get it from Ho direct if you can. I've tried Mexico tanned stuff and ran into dye issues. A white haze formed and I'm told it is/was because Mexican tanning uses some type of clay.