Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Riccar 9700 Machine

Just got this from my MIL. She did beautiful work in her day. Well I know it's not a leather machine, but it does sew leather, from the manual. The manual states 12 (80) and 18 (110) leather needles with no mention of thread size and or type. I'm assuming I need the walking foot attachment which I do not have. So, how do we get this to sew some stuff and how thick can I go? I'm sure it's not much maybe 3-5 oz or smaller. Got a line on an Industrial but need to raise the cash for that one. This one the price was great...FREE :thumbsup: Just looking for some guidance on were to go sew I can start to sew. Maybe I can get this to work and with the Industrial have two machines.

Thanks,

Jon

Boy I love this place. So much information and ideas being shared that it's min boggling.................... :gathering: Oh well, I'll get some needles, thread and a few attachments and give it a go.

Maybe two layers of Upholstery or chap leather with #69 thread. Forget the walking foot attachment as it is meant for quilting

Th

Maybe two layers of Upholstery or chap leather with #69 thread. Forget the walking foot attachment as it is meant for quilting

Thanks. 69 thread top and bottom, right? What size needle? This could become a nice wallet machine, or thin purses. Thanks for the direction.

16 or 18's for #69. Yes, top and bottom.

Is the machine a straight stitcher or zig-zag?

16 or 18's for #69. Yes, top and bottom.

Is the machine a straight stitcher or zig-zag?

From the manual it does both stitches. You have been most helpful.