Kaff

Restoring An Old Bicycle Saddle

Hi everyone!

First a few words about me:

My first post on the forums, and also my first leather-related restoration (attempt). I've been meaning to start leatherworks for ages, but just hadn't had the time in between building bicycles, motorcycles and amplifiers. I study mechanics at the University and ALWAYS have somekind of restoration/project going. I'm really drawn to all things old and just about a year or two ago I started to really appreciate leather. I like the fact that its organic, extremely durable and ages beautifully. Hopefully this topic will be a start of a new long lasting hobby.

On to the subject:

Not a motorcycle seat but close enough. I'm building a retro-themed bicycle from a few old mishandled bikes. A friend of mine bought an old mens commuterbike from the 80's from an auction a few weeks back and the bike had this intresting leather saddle on it. The saddle is branded "vomfeld's ,,Elegant'' " and is in very poor condition, but I just couldn't resist it, so now it's mine. It's hard to say wether this saddle is retro, vintage or even antique since I couldn't find much of the brand on the internet, mainly a couple of photos:

An old broshure:

vomfeldsprop.jpg

And a picture of a vintage bike with a almost similar saddle:

Mhlenbeck028.jpg

Judging byt he condition it's in I'd date it somewhere in the BC era :lol: , but it might be much younger if it's just been untreated for a long time.

Here's how the actual saddle looks like (and excuse my phone-camera image quality):

I've applied a coat of Mink oil before taking this shot, it's completely dry and distorted:

WP_000013.jpg

There are a few tears on the sides:

WP_000014.jpg

WP_000016.jpg

The frame was full of rust but not corroded to the point of no return:

WP_000012.jpg

I've taken the frame apart, sandblasted all the bits and thinking about zinc plating them. The leather seems to be unsalvageable, no? If so, I'd like to hear some suggestions on what leather to buy if restoring this piece? If I'm going to use new leather anyway, I might as well form the saddle frame so that it's not that wide at the back (I know.. then it's not "restoring" but it might be a cool piece anyways).

So what do you guys think? should I scrap the original piece of leather and start fresh with some cow hide for example? how about getting the shape right, I've read somewhere that soaking the leather, forcing it to the desired shape and letting it dry might do the trick?

Anyone?

I'm visiting my parents this weekend and they live in a small town full of traditional knifemakers, so I might get a good deal on some vegetable tanned bovine leather they use to make sheaths - would that kind of leather be suitable for a new seat? I might also buy some extra since I think it might be a versatile material for all sorts of projects, no?

I would use new leather, a vegetable tan. In the picture is looks like 8 / 9 ounce just guessing, not sure what that is in MM. I bet you will need to make a form out of wood to form it on. You could use the old seat to check your form. Trying to form it over the springs in seat won't get the right shape, i don't think. Get your leather wet then let it dry ( case ) some before you try to form it. I would cut the leather over size and tack to the form on the bottom and let it dry then trim it to the right size. Good luck and post some pictures of how it turns out.

Thanks for your advice. I bought a few sqrft of 2mm (I think that's about 5oz..?) thick brown veg tanned leather, since I got it cheap, but I think that's not gonna cut it for the seat. The only way this leather could suit the seat is if a did a double layer, and I don't think that's smart. I think I'll practice my sewing, cutting and forming skills with this leather I got and later on boy proper weight leather, which, dirtclod, could very well be 9oz.

I have a few ideas on what to do with this beautiful piece of leather, but time will tell if my skills are up for the task.

Thanks for the link, Claire, interesting stuff! The thing that differetiates my Seat from jos is the fact that the leather on mine is merely a cover whereas his leather is the component that keeps the saddle tensioned. I think I could get away with using lighter weight leather, but we'll see.