Traveller

your saddle pad of choice?

Recent problems with hair wearing off my gelding's back have got me thinking about saddle pads (amongst other things!).

Which kinds of pads do you prefer? I see some fairly convincing ads by SMX AirRide but have also heard some convincing arguments for plain old wool felt from guys who've spent many hours in the saddle. I'm currently riding with an Impact Gel pad under my saddle but the SMX ads tell me it's not as good as their pads. Plus as I mentioned, the hair is wearing off my gelding's back (which, of course, may or may not be related to the pad).

Do you have a pad you prefer to use all of the time? Or do you use different pads for different horses?

Joanne

I like 100% wool felt pads as well.

I am curious, is the hair breaking off or is it thinning, possibly falling out. I am not familiar with the pad you describe other than seeing ad's in magazines. I know pad makers will make claims of the supriority of their products against all the others. I tend to stay with natural fiber pads made from wool. They have always served their purpose well.

Pads are easily contaminated by dirt, grime and fungus. Especially if you use your gear on multiple horses or loan out gear to friends. (Most of us will do that from time to time.)

I clean my pads often with a metal curry to remove hair, salt and grime left by previous use. I do this every time I notice any grime clinging to the pad. I also take time to inspect every inch of my mounts back and girth while brushing and preparing to saddle. (I expect you likely do this as well.) I wash out my pads and saddle blankets with water at least once or twice a year depending on use. (sometimes more often.) I am also careful to allow pads to dry thoroughly before using. (Damp pads will encourage fungus to grow and spread.) Make sure your pads lay open to circulating air. (meaning the side that is against your horse is facing up.)

I learned this from a friend who rode often and didn't keep his pads very clean. He rode different horses with his gear. One of his horses started to lose the hair on his back. He washed the back and checked for sores. He changed pads as he thought the horse might have a sensitvity to the pad he was using. He watched and the condition did not improve. He ended up calling his vet which determined the horse had been infected with a fungus. Vet described it as similar to athlete's foot people get. vet gave him a name of a medicated shampoo. The horse recovered quickly and the hair grew back. He replaced the wool pad with a new one and had no more problem. After that he took care to let his pads dry. He had often piled them on a blanket or pad rack in his tack room. He thought the fungus was encoraged by sweaty damp pads and blankets not drying thoroughly. He has never had the problem reoccur. He thought the problem might have been spread to his horse from riding a horse at a stable that was for sale about a month prior.

I'd advise maybe trying some of the medicated shampoos available at feed stores, if that does not help then call your vet. You could try a new pad but if it is a fungus then you'll just spend money on a new pad that will have to be disposed of because it became contaminated. I have also seen geldings lose hair due to sheath infections. If you are not experienced with cleaning your gelding's sheath you should find some one who is and knows what to look for. If you find an infection you might need a vet to treat it and show you what follow up treatment he will want you to do.

Hair falling out can be caused by very minor fungal problem, allergies or be a symptom of more serious health contitions inside the animal. If it can not be corrected quickly you need to call your vet.

I hope this is helpful and you and your gelding find the souce of the problem.

Regards and Merry Christmas, Grumpy Guy

Edited by grumpyguy

I don't like the pads that fold and lay flat. I like the contoured felt pads. I have had the Tod Slone's, Toklats, and a few others, and really haven't seen that much of a difference. On a wider fronted saddle I have had good luck with the Ricotti pads. They will fill that area in a little and make a wider front saddle more tolerable. A few guys out here who have trophy saddles with those monstrous gullets like them. The have a tapered gel insert under the bar area on about the front half of the pad. If I am riding my narrower cutter on my wide horse, a thin countured felt with a wool navajo over the top works. I try to fit my pad setup to the horse and saddle. It is the one thing I have more immediate control over.

Good quality 100% wool - period.

Do you have a preference for wool felt over a wool Navajo? Or will any kind of wool do?

No one got this far West riding on air, gel, inserts, rubber, or any of the other gimmicks sold today. I've seen more sore backs and gaulds caused by scientists and engineers than I have by cowboys and wool pads.

Edited by JRedding

I ride with a light 100% wool very tightly woven navaho 32 x 64. This is all I usually use if I need a little more I will add a 100% wool felt pad on top of that . The wool felts are availble in various thicknesses from 3/8 to 1 & 1/4" thick. If you need a thicker pad the best I have seen are from 5 Star equine. Most of the problems I have encountered in my career can be placed into 3 catagories as to cause: 1). poor fitting equipment (padding will not cure this). 2). poor quality equipment. 3) OVER PADDING. Greg

100% wool Navajo first choice and then a wool pad 2nd choice.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

For most of my adult life, I have made my living horseback. For much of that time, I have been riding a fair number of different horses daily. What I found that works for me is................I have several navajo blankets, both 32 x 64 and some 32 x 32. In conjunction with these navajos, I use wool felt pads any where from 1/4" to 1/2" in thickness. All these are 100% wool. By combining the various navajos with the appropriate pad (when needed) I have found that I could adjust for differing horses. Personally, like Greg and others have mentioned, for me I use the least amount of padding needed for the individual horse / saddle combination. I have seen much more trouble caused by over padding than any other saddle/fit issue. JW

DITTO on the wool.. It breathes, it wicks, it is cooler, and it disperses pressure rather than absorbs and intensify it as gels and neoprenes do. And as Greg stated, more is not always better.

Edited by Blake

Another vote for 100% wool here. Has always worked for me. Air, gels, neoprene, etc... in my mind, they're all gimmicks.

Growing up we only used the woven wool Navaho style blankets with sometimes a pad over them. When I got out of the Marine Corps and back into regular riding I saw a lot of neoprene this or that and the air ride stuff and I admit I experimented with the new stuff- to the detriment of my wallet and my horses' backs. Took me about 6 weeks to be back to a woven blanket on the bottom and a felted wool pad on top of that. No more sore or hot backs and my wallet doesn't hurt nearly as bad. One thing though, I always use the woven blanket on the bottom because they are easier to wash and makes my felted pad last a lot longer.

David

I agree 100% woll pad. I build my own contoured using 3/4" felt from Brand felt. I have made about a dozen and have not had any complaints. They are no problem to custom shape to the persons saddle as well. After riding they take on the shape of the horses back.

westernsaddlepad.jpg

post-7269-1234925799_thumb.jpg

Edited by StolpSaddles

how do you make the felt pads. What do you call the felt you use. Sorry for the stupid question but i like to make everything i own myself.

The felt pad is madde with 3/4" heavey felt from Brand felt. It is one piece with a football shaped piece cut out of the middle about 4" wide and 4" short of the back edge

The front has a cutout with reinforcing leather across the front. Center is joined with a leather strip. Wear leathers are attached as well as the perimeter is sewn

If you are looking to only build one, do not bother as the cost of felt and shipping will cost more than to buy a new pad.

Ron,

When you sew the leather in the center, do you join the sides of the felt together or are you leaving a bit of a channel between them?

I sew the centers together, first I hand stich it draw the opening closed, then sew on the leather.

Edited by StolpSaddles

Thats a nice job, great idea too. THanks for sharing with us.

That's too bad. I was looking to make one for a friend too. I guess I am still interested in doing so but it is a shame that the cost would be prohibitive. Nice pad though.

The felt pad is madde with 3/4" heavey felt from Brand felt. It is one piece with a football shaped piece cut out of the middle about 4" wide and 4" short of the back edge

The front has a cutout with reinforcing leather across the front. Center is joined with a leather strip. Wear leathers are attached as well as the perimeter is sewn

If you are looking to only build one, do not bother as the cost of felt and shipping will cost more than to buy a new pad.