sdmahr

Singer 29K51

Hello !

As you can see, this is my very first post here. I have been "lurking" for some time, learning about all I can and I have to say the information here is outstanding !

I have a bit of an issue with a Singer 29K51 I was hoping a fellow owner could help me with:

I was able to acquire this machine for a very reasonable price so I bought it. Generally it is in very good condition and needs a thorough go-through for cleaning and oiling. The part that has me stumped is it was partially disassembled.....at least the very end of the arm where the bobbin and shuttle are. The bobbin, shuttle, shuttle carrier and gear assembly had been removed. All the parts are here, I just don't know how they go back together from a timing standpoint.

If you have an operable machine, could some kind soul snap me a couple pictures of the following:

-Needle plate moved aside; a picture of the bobbin in place in the shuttle.

-With the needle all the way down, a picture of the shuttle minus the bobbin.

With the needle all the way down and a good picture, I will be able to tell where the shuttle should be at that point and I can time this machine back up so the shuttle/bobbin are in the correct orientation and timing.

Also, if someone has been through this experience before I would love to have any pointers you could provide. I'm looking forward to a true classic antique to add to a collection.....and it seems service manuals are non-existent for this model.

Thanks in advance for someone willing to help ! !

Scott

Hi, You can use the service manual for the 29U171A_172A_173A http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/ on singerco.com. This is a similar machine as the 29K.

Trox

Hello !

As you can see, this is my very first post here. I have been "lurking" for some time, learning about all I can and I have to say the information here is outstanding !

I have a bit of an issue with a Singer 29K51 I was hoping a fellow owner could help me with:

I was able to acquire this machine for a very reasonable price so I bought it. Generally it is in very good condition and needs a thorough go-through for cleaning and oiling. The part that has me stumped is it was partially disassembled.....at least the very end of the arm where the bobbin and shuttle are. The bobbin, shuttle, shuttle carrier and gear assembly had been removed. All the parts are here, I just don't know how they go back together from a timing standpoint.

If you have an operable machine, could some kind soul snap me a couple pictures of the following:

-Needle plate moved aside; a picture of the bobbin in place in the shuttle.

-With the needle all the way down, a picture of the shuttle minus the bobbin.

With the needle all the way down and a good picture, I will be able to tell where the shuttle should be at that point and I can time this machine back up so the shuttle/bobbin are in the correct orientation and timing.

Also, if someone has been through this experience before I would love to have any pointers you could provide. I'm looking forward to a true classic antique to add to a collection.....and it seems service manuals are non-existent for this model.

Thanks in advance for someone willing to help ! !

Scott

Trox,

I downloaded the manual and although the machine is very similar, the gear box is a different design.

A photo with the needle plate moved and the needle all the way down with the bobbin removed and I believe I can get it right.

Thank you so much for your reply. Have a great day !

Scott

Hi, You can use the service manual for the 29U171A_172A_173A http://parts.singerc...m/IPsvcManuals/ on singerco.com. This is a similar machine as the 29K.

Trox

Scott,

Trox is correct in saying you can use the newer manual,your machine might adjust different but it still needs to look like the last page of the manual,it shows the shuttle driver & needle relationship.

Bob

You are both correct ! I was able successfully get it back together this evening. My thanks to both of you !

Bob, I believe it was you and I who traded voice mails the other day on the phone. When I get this machine to the point it will stitch I will be calling you for supplies.

Now on to breaking the business end of the head down......

Thanks again !

Scott,

Trox is correct in saying you can use the newer manual,your machine might adjust different but it still needs to look like the last page of the manual,it shows the shuttle driver & needle relationship.

Bob

Can anyone tell me if there is an operators manual( having a hard time with the bobbin) for a Singer 29k51. 

10 hours ago, Stevens6 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is an operators manual( having a hard time with the bobbin) for a Singer 29k51. 

What problems are you having?

kgg

On 5/8/2023 at 6:55 PM, Stevens6 said:

@Stevens6 this is a manual for the 29K71 which more or less is the successor of the 29K51 - the two machines are very similar but not identical but it will work for your machine.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=135841

Hope this helps

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you so much.

it’s has such a small bobbin that it makes me wonder how much can you see without rewinding.

7 hours ago, Stevens6 said:

Thank you so much.

it’s has such a small bobbin that it makes me wonder how much can you see without rewinding.

These machines were made to fix shoe and boot uppers. That doesn't require thick thread. Most people use #69 (T70) bonded thread in their patchers. I do too. They can sew quite a long run with #69 thread in the bobbin. You can sew even farther if you move down to #46 (T45) thread.