Sign in to follow this  
chapelstone

Ranger Belt Pattern

I need a ranger belt pattern. I ordered a kit from Tandy but it is useless. I have taken apart my belts but could not get a good template from it. Looking for suggestions.

Had the same problem with my first one, drove me crazy. Took one apart and had the same problem, it was useless for a pattern.

Ended up making one out of posterboard using a couple of french curves. Now that I've done a few it's much easier. The first one I made was horrible, but it taught me a whole bunch and now hangs on my wall of shame with notes attached on it of what not to do. I still pull it down and use it as a guide every time I make one. Biggest mistake was not watching my stitchline on the main body of the belt in correspondence with where the billets were going. When I sewed on the billets the needle in my stitcher found a whole bunch of them, cut the thread and looked terrible.

What part(s) are you looking for to have a template of? I still use the old cardstock versions that I made based on the designs that Al Stohlman provided in Belts Galore. Regarding the issues related to the stitching: the only real way to get a quality stitch is to do it by hand as has been done for decades. Machines just don't give a quality stitch and the risk of damaging your thread is much greater with a machine.

Call me old fashioned, but I have been doing it this way for about 40 years and I just can't fix something if it ain't broke.

If you just need some measurements or templates, let me know and I will see what I can put together for you.

Thanks for all your comments.

What part(s) are you looking for to have a template of? I still use the old cardstock versions that I made based on the designs that Al Stohlman provided in Belts Galore. Regarding the issues related to the stitching: the only real way to get a quality stitch is to do it by hand as has been done for decades. Machines just don't give a quality stitch and the risk of damaging your thread is much greater with a machine.

Call me old fashioned, but I have been doing it this way for about 40 years and I just can't fix something if it ain't broke.

If you just need some measurements or templates, let me know and I will see what I can put together for you.

Thanks for the Belts Galore info. Just downloaded and printed at Fedex. Awesome book that I can't believe I'm just now getting.