raysouth

Leather Sale At Tandy

For those seeking project leather, Tandy is now offering the following:

CRAFTSMAN OAK SIDES 3-4 OZ, 16 TO 18 SQ FT. $55.49

OAK-LEAF SIDES 3 TO 4 OZ, 16 TO 18 SQ.FT. $66.49

OAK-LEAF SIDES 6 TO 7 OZ, 16 TO 18 SQ. FT. $89.49

The sides always seemed to be 20-26 sq. ft. but perhaps these were small critters. lol.

These are good for miscellaneous projects and for those just getting into the craft. Can be used for nearly anything you desire but may be a lesser quality than some other leathers.

Just though I would pass this on for the benefit of you that may not be on Tandy's mailing list. Received this special flyer today and the sale is good until 2/28/15.

If you go to their site and not able to locate these, drop me a pm and I will give you the numbers to use to locate them on the site.

Hope this is beneficial for some folks.

God Bless. Ray

They are in the system on sale already so when the person goes to checkout it rings up with the sale price automatically, although I will say at the Tandy I was at earlier in the week, those sides looked like they were in a fight with a barb wire gang and the barb wire won. One piece looked like it was tanned by Edward scissor hands.

Maybe other locations will have better stock!

Karina

I have bought from Tandy for many years but I have stopped. We have visited the Columbus,OH store twice in the last year, the quality of product is the worst I have ever seen it. Plus: very low stock on hand. Haven't even bothered with the Cincy store.

The flyers from them are almost entirely "Junk". I don't get it.

ferg

They have lost their way and have nothing in common with the Tandy that we all grew up with. The years since the change of ownership have slowly seen the quality of materials go down while the prices have gone through the roof. I still remember when I could get beautiful Live Oak leather for belts (9-10 oz.) for about $4.65 a square foot; man those were the days.

On the leathers that you see on their most recent flyer: these are the rejects that have been sitting in warehouse for awhile now as they are phasing some of the weights out by grade. If you pay really close attention to the standard listing on their website you will notice that they have removed some of the weights from their Craftsman Oak and Oak-Leaf brands; just so happens that the weights they removed are these very sides that they are selling off at the fire sale prices. And the smaller sizes means that these sides are the ones that did not pass muster to go out on the table under the regular pricing so they hung on to them until their inventory was down to the closeout level and then toss them out there at a bargain price. I have also seen some of these sides where the Craftsman Oak looked better than the Oak-Leaf and that just ain't sposed to happen.

Word is that Tandy plans on expanding the H.O. offerings but I have already addressed it with them that we can get our H.O. from any other source for much less than even their Elite pricing is set at. As a business pricing customer for several supply outlets I am given the best pricing available and I have told Tandy that I can get the same 8-9 oz. side that they are selling for less than they can offer it to me and that includes shipping; with some savings left over. Their response was that they know about the other's pricing but they are going to be putting the rest of the suppliers out of business because of convenience to be able to walk into a store and walk out with the merchandise in hand. I kind of reminded them that today's consumer will wait a couple of extra days to get what they need if they can get it from somewhere else and have it shipped to them for less and that if they needed proof of that, just look at what has been happening to some of the large well known companies like Sears and such. They can't even stay alive because just about everything they have on their shelves and shopping floor (exact brands included, no "similar" items) can be purchased online or through other outlets for less, even with shipping. I have a feeling that they may be in for a rude awakening shortly if they think that they will put everyone else out of business and become the sole source for our craft. Somebody has been moving the HQ to Colorado and partaking of that wacky weed.

I went in just the other day just to grab some Fiebing's dye and leather cement. Only dyes and finishes - no cement. I checked up front - not even in their catalog. I guess they want to push the ecoflo stuff.

I found what I wanted at Hobby Lobby today.

Rarely deal with Tandy anymore, that previous two trips to the Indianapolis store resulted in them not having it in stock, the manager said she had ordered these items (zippers) three times and had not received them. She said she could get them from another store and have them shipped to me. I thanked her but declined and found the exact item at JoAnn's for less. I wrote Tandy corporate and asked them to please stock the Indianapolis store which was only forwarded to the store manager who was less than enthusiastic with me. Moral of this story to Tandy, you are not the only game in town. I just wish Tandy Corporate would read these posts.

It is indeed, sad to see so many negatives about Tandy but seems to be the sign of the times. So many others seem to have gone the same route and one that comes to mind of late is the downfall of RadioShack.

There is still some good coming out of Tandy but I do agree that things are changing and not for the good of the folks involved in the craft.

One item that is bothersome is when items are advertised and then not available in the stores and long backorder becomes the norm. Tandy is not the only one that has short comings in this area. Very common occurrence today.

Tandy was the place to go for many years but now it appears that the drift is forgetting from whence they came. Don't understand the mentality of companies not willing to listen to input from the very folks that make their operations a success. Strange way to do things, in my opinion.

The manager of the Tandy store I use is still a good friend and does whatever possible to help me with my selections. Truthful and willing to go the extra mile for his customers so I must say, not everything is sour grapes. I don't purchase nearly as much as in the past as so many other sources are now available and with competitively priced merchandise.

Hope they are able to see, one day, that they need to make some adjustments but I have doubts it will happen. Like so many of the big box stores that have come and gone.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray: The Tandy store in my area had a great manager as well who went out of the way for his customers but they transferred him off to one of the California stores and then tied his hands. Since then they have had 4 different managers here and they do nothing but train future managers for other stores; not a single person in the store at any time knows anything about their products or merchandise. The current manager is obviously a company man because in his eyes Tandy is the ONLY option on the market for your materials and supplies. Kind of pisses him off when I show him my delivery tickets from other sources where I get the same things that Tandy offers for at least 1/3 to 1/2 of what the price he offers, and that even includes shipping. Don't do it intentionally but don't sit there and tell me that there are no other better priced sources or that what you have isn't available anywhere else. I keep telling him that I have been working with leather longer than he could spell it so I must know something.

If the evil empire is out of stock, it will stay that way for at least a month or more. Remember - it's Chinese New Year! Celebrations last 2 weeks,

so the docks will be mostly shut down and there will be quite a backlog when the workers return. And where does Tandy stuff come from?

China. They will fly in some of their most critical items, but murphies law usually has it not being the one thing you need. so sit and wait a while.

I find it easy to agree with what folks are saying but now lets see if we can get some of the folks to post a listing of suppliers that carry most of the items we need, better leather prices, supplies, tools, etc. You get the picture.

It would be nice to be able to develop a listing of the suppliers that can fill our needs, without having to do a hunt and find type scenario.

Perhaps some of the suppliers that read or learn of this can be of assistance.

It may be a pipe dream but would certainly benefit many of us.

God Bless.

Ray

Springfield Leather - http://springfieldleather.com

Fine Leatherworking - http://www.fineleatherworking.com

Maverick Leather - http://www.maverickleathercompany.com

Ostrich Market - http://ostrichmarket.com

The Tannery Row - http://www.thetanneryrow.com

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply - http://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/all

Ohio Travel Bag - https://www.ohiotravelbag.com

Buckle Guy - http://www.buckleguy.com

Talas - http://talasonline.com

Siegel Leather - http://www.siegelleather.com

Barry King Tools - http://www.barrykingtools.com

Fiebing's - http://www.fiebing.com

Pro Leather Carvers - http://proleathercarvers.com

Sheridan Leather - http://www.sheridanleather.com

Hardtke Leather http://hardtkeleather.com - Coming soon

Wickett & Craig - http://www.wickett-craig.com

Horween - http://www.horween.com

Hermann Oak - http://www.hermannoakleather.com

Abbey England - http://www.abbeyengland.com

There are several at the top of the page that I didn't list and several more I can't remember the name/web address.

Edited by thefanninator

It is indeed, sad to see so many negatives about Tandy but seems to be the sign of the times. So many others seem to have gone the same route and one that comes to mind of late is the downfall of RadioShack.

There is still some good coming out of Tandy but I do agree that things are changing and not for the good of the folks involved in the craft.

One item that is bothersome is when items are advertised and then not available in the stores and long backorder becomes the norm. Tandy is not the only one that has short comings in this area. Very common occurrence today.

Tandy was the place to go for many years but now it appears that the drift is forgetting from whence they came. Don't understand the mentality of companies not willing to listen to input from the very folks that make their operations a success. Strange way to do things, in my opinion.

The manager of the Tandy store I use is still a good friend and does whatever possible to help me with my selections. Truthful and willing to go the extra mile for his customers so I must say, not everything is sour grapes. I don't purchase nearly as much as in the past as so many other sources are now available and with competitively priced merchandise.

Hope they are able to see, one day, that they need to make some adjustments but I have doubts it will happen. Like so many of the big box stores that have come and gone.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray,

I'm old enough to remember when Tandy and Radio Shack were the same company!! They had some of the first computers, TRS (Tandy Radio Shack) 80's. Both were great companies at one time, them days is gone. Tandy quality stinks and Radio Shack is filing bankruptcy. Back in the 60's the guys in the Tandy stores were excellent leather crafters, teachers and knew how to run a store and service clients. I'm glad Tandy was around then cause that's where I learned what little I know about leather crafting, I'm afraid they won't be around much longer, but like some of the others, I don't think they'll be missed much. They aren't providing much of a service and even elite pricing is way over priced.

Chief

"Customer service" is a phrase most companies throw around shamelessly, but very few practice. Remember when you could go to a service station and the attendant would fill your car with gas, check your oil, clean your windshield, check the air in your tires, etc? Those days are long gone, and we are partially to blame. I have always said that we consumers are our own worst enemy --- one of the richest companies in the US is a company who makes nothing here... It's all about the bottom line, nothing else.

Rarely deal with Tandy anymore, that previous two trips to the Indianapolis store resulted in them not having it in stock, the manager said she had ordered these items (zippers) three times and had not received them. She said she could get them from another store and have them shipped to me. I thanked her but declined and found the exact item at JoAnn's for less. I wrote Tandy corporate and asked them to please stock the Indianapolis store which was only forwarded to the store manager who was less than enthusiastic with me. Moral of this story to Tandy, you are not the only game in town. I just wish Tandy Corporate would read these posts.

Pounder,

I have been to the Indy store (while on a business trip there) and must agree with you. The staff in the store was much less helpful than the other Tandy store I have visited. I live in southern Indiana and the Tandy store I get some of my stuff from is in Louisville. This store is an hour closer than the one in Indy. There is a world of difference between the stores. The staff at the Louisville store is very helpful and I think they have better quality for the same leather items. Not sure if this is due to their volume or what. The Louisville store is at least twice the size and maybe closer to 2.5-3 times the size. May be why they have a larger/better selection.

THEFANNINATOR (Chris),

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE WEB ADDRESSES OF SUPPLIER SITES FOR US.

Thank you all for sharing the information and your talents. I know I have learned a lot from the posts here. Keep it up!!! I need all the help I can get.

Also, please try to frequent the sponsors of this website as much as possible. They are sponsors for a reason and I do not remember seeing Tandy as being one of those.

JR

I have bought leather at the Indy store also, and they always call the manager and bring out some leather they have "in the back." I truly believe they keep the lesser quality out on the shelves for the people who may not know exactly what good quality leather is supposed to look, and feel like... The leather I have bought "from the back" is much better quality than what is out front.

Chief: I too remember those days and you could also walk into any Tandy store and have a conversation with every employee about a product, tool, or even a technique and they knew what they were talking about. The manager here in my local store have flat told me that the Leather Factory doesn't look for whether a potential employee has any experience in the craft or not; all they want is to make sure that they can teach their staff exactly how to sell any given product and to make money. I have also been told that their managers have only one objective: sell, sell, sell; it is all about numbers, nothing more.

If I remember correctly isn't this the very "business model" that is currently leading to the downfall of several large names in the business world? And hasn't that same model been the reason behind so many others from the past disappearing from existence?

Tramp: You nailed it with your comment about how the term customer service is just thrown around. Any time that I end having to deal with a "customer service" department for anything, I make it very clear to them that had they actually been providing quality customer service in the first place, we wouldn't be having the conversation that we are about to. I find that it typically leads to almost a solid minute of silence and then I am immediately offered the opportunity to speak with a supervisor. I then follow that with the question, "is it going to make a difference?", and "do they know something that none of the rest of you have been taught?", which never gets a response either. It would be nice if we could get real customer service back into the system and at the level where the customer actually is, not in some corporate office somewhere in "who knows where-ville" on the other side of the planet (if they are even on this planet anymore).

Thank you Fanninator for that list and I would like to add one more to it that may be of help to some: The Hide House, located in Napa, CA; http://hidehouse.com

It is very rewarding to see that so many of us have experienced the same things when dealing with companies today. At least we are not alone and know that others are having to cope with the same issues.

Fanninator, the list is much appreciated. So many other suppliers around and always good to learn of more. I had complied a list, some time ago, but as with many things old timers have to deal with, I forgot where it is. lol.

Chief, I also remember those days. When I dabbled with ham radio, you could run to the Radio Shack and find the components you needed to complete a project and as time went on I began to notice the dwindling parts supplies and then all of a sudden it became a completed component retailer. In addition, the employees seemed to know nothing about what was going on and interested only in the sale.

Cannot remember the other big name in electronics that eventually ended up in the hands of the shack and hated to see them go away as they always had a better selection and better service.

When Tandy and the shack came under the same umbrella, some felt that things would get better but that never happened. I am surprised how some of the companies hang on for so long.

It is also very true, as quoted from some I know in the Tandy stores, that selling is the tool that is most important, whether items are in stock or not. Some of the regional reps are very lacking and should not hold any position with any company, unless they can learn more about taking care of the needs of the consumer, who, after all, are the most important factor as to whether they succeed or fail.

So sad to see so many institutions failing but easy enough to see, from the consumers view, why they are headed that way.

Remember the days when we could go to a store and lay hands on everything, purchase on the spot, and take it home without hassle? I certainly do, and find myself wishing for "The Good Old Days".

Thanks to all of you for your input and hope we see much more from others.

God Bless.

Ray

Edited by raysouth

I wrote a letter to Tandy about items being subpar and was told in no certain terms that's why it's on sale.

Only buy if I have to and never leather.

Many folks seem to have the same feelings, Perry and I am falling in line with them.

Another item that came to mind was Tandy's treatment of Springfield leather recently. Apparently he was told, according to what I read on the site, that he will no longer receive items as a preferred dealer/distributor of their goods. He has enough connections that he will not have a problem but as one of, if not the largest, independent Tandy outlet they have ever had. Pitiful way to handle someone that has been with you for such a long time.

God Bless.

Ray

You are correct Ray; Kevin was told by Tandy that they would no longer be able to get the special pricing that they had been as a distributor of their products. Guess it was all for the best because Springfield Leather is now making their own kits for quite a few items and when you actually look at these kits they are much nicer looking than what you can get from Tandy. Although I haven't worked with a kit for well over 30 years, if I was interested in using one or two I would be getting them from Springfield for sure.

It is too bad that we have seen all of this go South (no pun intended there buddy) but we all know that when a company gets the impression that they are the "Ultimate Outlet" for the market which they serve, the writing is on the wall; guess they should consider learning how to read again.

I have no doubt that as long as Kevin and any of the other companies out there who place customers and their satisfaction before the bottom line, shall be around for a very long time. I will not do business with anyone who's sole focus is on "sell, sell, sell" and "increasing market share at any cost"; if you can't take care of me and my needs in a professional and educated manner, I will go where I know I can get it (even if it costs a bit more). It me, and my fellow leather workers here and around the world, that keep them in business and we don't like being treated poorly.

my ONLY dependency on the evil empire is on the hefty handles since I had to cut the back of my stamps to use some type of handle.

If I could find a better handle I'd definitely change to that. Anyone have any suggestions? See the pict.

My original handle was a 6" pipe with 2 brass caps with flat tops. I would attach the stamp with double face tape.

Of course that was for me and was a bit too 'ugly' for public release. I still have it btw.

I did have someone making me some handles at an affordable price but unfortunately

they went under. cheers!

post-2828-0-53565100-1424044046_thumb.pn

Last time I was in a Tandy (last Spring or so), one of the employees told me they weren't allowed to display leather items they or others have made anymore. I thought that was very telling.

A few more I'd like to add:

Weaver is selling to the general public now as:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com

If you're a business (I think this is correct) it's this:

http://www.weaverleather.com

Booth & Co.

http://www.boothandco.com/handtools.php

They sell Joseph Dixon tools and other stuff.

Don't forget our own Bruce Johnson:

http://brucejohnsonleather.com

Custom Swivel & Round knives:

http://www.leatherwranglers.com/products.html

Europe:

Hass Tannery - France

http://www.tanneries-haas.com/fr/Tanneries-Haas-Cuir-de-veau-Barenia-novocalf-3.html

Weinheimer Leder - Germany

http://weinheimer-leder.com/en/wl/about/

Premium alligator skins:

http://www.amtan.com/index.php

Edited by thefanninator

I would like to say that I did have some good help & free courses at Tandy when I started but I quickly out grew them.

For the two years I've been doing leather work I have scoured the internet for the best products out there. I haven't used all the companies I have listed but I probably would if I had the money.

I too wanted to say a Thank You Fanninator and also to the Others who contributed to this list of helpful, smiling faced vendors.

I had some fairly good TLF classes in the beginning too !, Then the sell, sell, sell push came around and the company,

as I see it, has gone down hill ever since. Good reasons, already stated.

Our nearest store has now gone under but that's OK

There's not much I really need from the big TLF, but I actually continue to search for a good one in each

new city that I explore,

Maybe that's due to those first lessons to a craft, I now so enjoy. ? --- Again thanx Ya All --- Wild Bill46