Myriam

Braiding corners

Ok, here's something that's been bugging me for quite some time. I just can't seem to be able to figure it out. When I lace the edge of a project, I always have problems with the corners. So here are my questions:

1. What would be the ideal radius for corners?
  2. How do you determine how many times you go through how many holes when lacing over a corner?

That can depend on what type of lacing you are doing; there's one that looks like 8-strand braiding that can take a while to crawl around a corner. But anyway this is what I do.

I punch a hole right in the very center of the corner and even out my other holes so that I always have one in the very center. I think it looks nicer that way. Then as I approach the corner, in that hole before the center one, I usually go through that one twice. The center one I go through twice, or three times if I need to, then the first one out of the corner I go through twice.

Now, you might have to modify that for the lacing you are doing. Also, not all corners are 90 degree angles, so you would have to modify that too. I guess there are no real hard and fast rules because it depends on what you are making.

I think you just practice, and remember to try and make it look as even as possible. That's what works for me anyhow.

Thanks, will give that a try. I never tried to center the hole in the corner and spread the others in between.

About going twice in the corner holes, if I do a Mexican basketweave, I'm already going twice through each hole. Does that mean I'll have to go four times in the corner holes? :blink:

Yep! :D

I do an 8-strand one that's the same way, if you double up it means 4 times!

Gotta ask, how the heck do you get the lace through the same hole 4 times? Do you use a thonging chisel or a round punch to make the lacing holes?

Round, if I think it will be an issue. You'd be surprised what being patient can do though, you can get a slot-type to work OK if you are careful and patient.

Do you make the corner slots longer/wider to make it work? I'm having trouble going through the hole a second time. That's why I really don't know how I'd go through the same hole four times unless I start using a round punch. I'd rather find a way to make it work with slots since that's the look I prefer.

Do you make the corner slots longer/wider to make it work? I'm having trouble going through the hole a second time. That's why I really don't know how I'd go through the same hole four times unless I start using a round punch. I'd rather find a way to make it work with slots since that's the look I prefer.

Sounds like you need a lacing fid. This is a small tool that has a blunted point and a tapered shaft that is used to open or "swell" holes. I've also been known to use a marlin spike (pocket knife version) to swell holes.

I have a lacing fid, so far I've used it to spread lace apart when tying a knot. Never thought of using it to open up a slot in the leather. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks Rawhide!

You also asked about the proper radius for corners. I use a quarter on the wallets I make. Gives me a good radius.

Thanks, Grumpy. I guess you make the radius bigger for a larger item, right? At least it gives me a starting point.

Edited by Myriam

If I was going to do something bigger, I'd use something that would be proportional. Guess I could break down and buy one of those draftsman's templates with all the holes in it. :blink:

Edited by ETW Grumpy

Good idea. I have a stencil from my school years with a whole bunch of circles of different sizes and there are marks on the circumference of each to divide them in quarters. That will work perfectly!

I just knew there was a reason to keep all the stuff I've kept! :D