dsolsbery

Hand Stitching

I'm in need of some instruction from all you experts. I like to dye and seal my leather before I stitch, but the problem I'm having is that my thread is picking up the dye from the stitch hole and it ruins the appearance of the project. How do ya'll deal with this? Thanks.

NEVER MIND! I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT. THANKS ANYWAY.

Well tell us how you did it. Lets see if its the way others would have or is it a new way..

I should have researched more "How Do I Do That" posts. I drilled my stitch holes, then I dyed the leather. The dye got down in the holes then rubbed off on my thread. I should have dyed before drilling the holes. Just to add something, I have a dremel drill with a drill press for it, so my holes are nice and straight. I've also found that if I take an 18 gauge brad, cut off the head then chuck it in my dremel, I can then sand the point down to super sharp. I then can use it like an electric awl. If you're lazy, you can come up with all kinds of labor saving shortcuts.

If you're lazy, you can come up with all kinds of labor saving shortcuts.

LOL.. It is often said, that Necessity is the mother of Invention..turns out Laziness may be the father.? :)

LOL.. It is often said, that Necessity is the mother of Invention..turns out Laziness may be the father.? :)

ha ha ha that's a good one.

SEWING MACHINE NEEDLES! Never crossed my mind. Thanks Aaron.