SandSquid

'those Who Can't Do, Teach!

Background; For the past 3 years my family has been volunteering at a "faith based youth summer camp"Lakeshore UMA . We provide all the equipment, and run the archery range. (We are all NFAA / USA Archery coaches, and current or former State & Regional Champions. etc...) My wife was a school teacher and had summers off, my parent command allowed me to bank all my leave and use it to take every other week off during the summer. Now she has a better paying job but has to work summers, and I'm an unemployed, returning combat Vet, so guess who gets to spend all 12 weeks at summer camp!!!!! Should be great for helping me "reattach to polite society" as well and stop being so hyper-vigilant.

So, someone heard I've been pounding on leather and suggested that, when I had time, I could help out in the Craft Hut and teach some kids how to pound leather as well.

Sounds great in theory, but I barely know what the heck I'm doing!!!! Now, many years ago I has a Sensei who used to always say "teaching is learning twice", but really I want the kids to have an enjoyable experience and be able to give mom or dad a nice looking key fob or wrist band instead of a mangle hunk of leather or show them a smashed thumb, know what I mean? If I'm going to do it, I insist that I do it RIGHT. On top of that I have no idea what the Craft Hut actually has for tools, in years past it has not a point of interest for me. I'll find out this weekend when we get there, but we are about 130 miles from the nearest Tandy store, and being unemployed well... Luckily I have been blessed by WinterBear, Bruce Johnson, Elliot, etc. and I have at least one complete set of the basics so as long as I don't have more than one or two kids at a time we should be good for now. I also just got a barely used arbor press which could be useful for setting snaps, etc.

OK so, suggestion on what to teach and how to teach it and how to do it frugally.

(I already sent our 501c3 to Zack White and Springfield Leather Co, so we can get "wholesale" pricing.)

I'm thinking of getting a pile of the ubiquitous pre-cut wrist bands and key fobs.

Maybe a pre-cut & punched coin purse, or some buckskin or suede trinket bags,

but I really want to stay away from having kids use an awl.

Edited by SandSquid

Let me dig around in my list of links from researching a few months back. Seems to me I found a PDF put out by the scouts that you might find helpful. One thing I know is a good project for Christian camps is a walking stick with leather handle.

Give me a few minutes to find it all again.

S

Ok, here is one of the ones I found.

Basic Leatherworking-1.pdf

Edited by Sylvia

walking stick with leather handle.

NICE!

Here's another... pretty simple stuff in this one.

http://www.macscouter.com/cubscouts/PowWow00/Crafts00.pdf

This one has some interesting leather stuff including mocs and braiding.

http://dankohn.info/~scouts/resources/projects.pdf

I know I have more... .just need to find them.

Coasters work well for beginner children's classes, let them stamp their name on the coaster they get the feel of pounding leather, make a useful item they can give their moms. Doesn't require a lot of tools, one mallet, one set of alphabetic stamps, water, a small bag of wool daubers, small bottle of water based dye so it comes off them easier, small bottle of super sheen, and prepunched coasters, Tandy sells them in large project packages.

Ken

Edited by Chief31794

I used to do those walking sticks years ago when I was a scout. Great fun project. What we used for walking sticks were wooden closet rods. Try going to the manager of your local big box home supply store. You might be able to score a pile free or on the cheap.

Of course we did the typical 3 part pocket knife sheaths. I still make those from time to time when old friends come to me after the first sheath they made at 11 finally falls apart at the lacing. Don't know if that would work for your kids, but it's another idea.

Another possability are braided bracelets. If you don't know it yet, you can learn the mystery braid from one of the free Tandy videos. Get some scrap and cut the blanks yourself if you like. Then you can let the kids go to town after a quick lesson.

Here's the walking stick grip kit. The kids will need to find or cut a stick. http://www.stecksstore.com/servlet/the-411/Walking-Stick-Hand-Grip/Detail

I recommend contacting Bruce Steckler directly to see if he will give you a camp discount.

At least the walking stick idea could get you talking about some bible stories as they craft. ??

Arbor press! Snaps, definitely. You can also lug that sucker to a shop and have them tap it to hold stamps too! Kids love the 1" square 2D and 3D stamps, but kids under 12 don't always have the upper body strength or the coordination to stamp alphabet and the larger figure stamps (frustrated flailing often ensues, and/or squished fingers). Look up the posts on arbor presses (and also drill press)--I seem to recall there were some nice arbor press set ups and a jig for stamping belts (aha! there's one: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34570&st=0&p=23841). If you are worried about the press squishing fingers, pre-set the snaps at home, and give the kids C-clamps for the 3D stamps. C-Clamps work surprisingly well for most of the younger bunch I've worked with.

One of the things I've been tempted to try is "nature's" tap offs. The idea is to collect sturdy things from nature, like tree branches, twigs, leaves with good heavy veins, small interesting shaped pebbles. Case the leather well, lay out the pieces over the leather, cover with a bit of brown paper and tape that to the table so everything stays contained The go to town with a rolling pin or small mallet. Tap or Roll well all over...

Remove the paper and natural bits and see the result. Remember to tell your kids that there are no mistakes with this method.

Hmmmm... sounds fun.. I might just try that today. :)

BTW... I found a supplier that has those inexpensive wooden malets for CHEAP. I've ordered from them before and they got it out right away. I bet they would be willing to give you a deal for the camp if you email and explain what you need. http://www.wrising.com/ (tell them Sylvia sent you)

Syl

Edited by Sylvia

I spent a few hours over my Mentors shop this afternoon, what Luke is would be too modest to mention but I will, is that he totally hooked us up with material for wrist-bands-a-go-go!

After showing me how to use the vintage leather strap cutter he set me to work on a pile of offcuts.

After about an hour and a half I had a decent pile of 1" wide straps, of varying lengths, but none less that 12".

post-30477-038029300 1337807982_thumb.jp

Now, I just need a strap end punch, a hole punch, a pile of heavy duty line 24 snaps, an anvil &setter.

That should keep the kiddies happily pounding away for a while!

I spent a few hours over my Mentors shop this afternoon, what Luke is would be too modest to mention but I will, is that he totally hooked us up with material for wrist-bands-a-go-go!

After showing me how to use the vintage leather strap cutter he set me to work on a pile of offcuts.

After about an hour and a half I had a decent pile of 1" wide straps, of varying lengths, but none less that 12".

post-30477-038029300 1337807982_thumb.jp

Now, I just need a strap end punch, a hole punch, a pile of heavy duty line 24 snaps, an anvil &setter.

That should keep the kiddies happily pounding away for a while!

GO with the line 20 stamps. No need for the stronger 24s and they are easier for the kids to snap and unsnap.

you can also try here for bargains http://www.tandyleatheroutlet.com/

GO with the line 20 stamps. No need for the stronger 24s and they are easier for the kids to snap and unsnap.

After pricing out what 100 snaps, the setter & anvil would cost, I have decided to just punch two holes in each end and let them tie them together with a string, as was first suggested by Luke.

It's just a better plan over-all and is more in keeping with the whole "camp" theme.

That works.

Hi Sand. I'd love to help because so many people have helped me on this site. I have a 3D stamp of a rose and a mare and foal. I have alphabet stencils in a ton of sizes but they can be hard to line up but free is cheaper than an alphabet set. I have a ton of rawhide which is good for braiding or you could use the thongs for the end of the bracelets. Oh I have two hole punches if I can find the refill punches, just saw them not long ago. They're a little dull. I'm sure if I just think I can come up with some other things if you'll PM me the address of the camp. I'd really like to help and didn't know about this until right now.

And most of all just have fun with the kids. I don't know what ages you're talking but some of those books might be a bit advanced. If you tell me other things you can think of you need, I'll look around this place and see what I can find. Cheryl

PM sent w/ mailing address

Edited by SandSquid

Your most welcome to them. I just won't be able to get them out in the mail probably until next week, but thank you for letting me help. Cheryl

I just won't be able to get them out in the mail probably until next week,

No worries, I'll be there until the first week of August.

Background; For the past 3 years my family has been volunteering at a "faith based youth summer camp"Lakeshore UMA . We provide all the equipment, and run the archery range. (We are all NFAA / USA Archery coaches, and current or former State & Regional Champions. etc...) My wife was a school teacher and had summers off, my parent command allowed me to bank all my leave and use it to take every other week off during the summer. Now she has a better paying job but has to work summers, and I'm an unemployed, returning combat Vet, so guess who gets to spend all 12 weeks at summer camp!!!!! Should be great for helping me "reattach to polite society" as well and stop being so hyper-vigilant.

So, someone heard I've been pounding on leather and suggested that, when I had time, I could help out in the Craft Hut and teach some kids how to pound leather as well.

Sounds great in theory, but I barely know what the heck I'm doing!!!! Now, many years ago I has a Sensei who used to always say "teaching is learning twice", but really I want the kids to have an enjoyable experience and be able to give mom or dad a nice looking key fob or wrist band instead of a mangle hunk of leather or show them a smashed thumb, know what I mean? If I'm going to do it, I insist that I do it RIGHT. On top of that I have no idea what the Craft Hut actually has for tools, in years past it has not a point of interest for me. I'll find out this weekend when we get there, but we are about 130 miles from the nearest Tandy store, and being unemployed well... Luckily I have been blessed by WinterBear, Bruce Johnson, Elliot, etc. and I have at least one complete set of the basics so as long as I don't have more than one or two kids at a time we should be good for now. I also just got a barely used arbor press which could be useful for setting snaps, etc.

OK so, suggestion on what to teach and how to teach it and how to do it frugally.

(I already sent our 501c3 to Zack White and Springfield Leather Co, so we can get "wholesale" pricing.)

I'm thinking of getting a pile of the ubiquitous pre-cut wrist bands and key fobs.

Maybe a pre-cut & punched coin purse, or some buckskin or suede trinket bags,

but I really want to stay away from having kids use an awl.

Its EZ, I tought the kids at our church, you can get pre punched crosses, book marks and the simple stuff. Use the alphabet stamps, maby a little dye, some plastic lace and you will be in business. God wont let you down,,,, go for it. mike j.

Its EZ, I tought the kids at our church, you can get pre punched crosses, book marks and the simple stuff. Use the alphabet stamps, maby a little dye, some plastic lace and you will be in business. God wont let you down,,,, go for it. mike j.

I'll need to see how the wristbands do to get us started, if they go well I can afford to buy other projects.

If they don't sell, well then I'm only "out" two hours of running the strap cutter and helping relieve Luke of some of his scrap pile ;-)

You folks think I should be pretty well set to teach the young-ones if I'm armed with:

The LeatherCraft Handbook

Art Hand Sewing Leather

Lucky 7 Book

Lucky 8 Belt Book

Craftool Tech-Tips

I am not sure how long these classes are , but when I was in the scouts our art classes had 1 day of leather,1 day of wood, 1 day of braiding,and every day was an archery class.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Remember that whatever you know about leather is most likely 100x's more than the kids. So as long as it is fun they will have a blast.

I think something that everyone has missed is a <Small Pouch that can be tied around the kids waist with some rope. They can add their names and maybe some border stamps. And of course paint them...that is something they would really like I think.

Bracelets are cool, the only thing about the string is after it is on it will be almost impossible to get off, and if it is snapped, they will most likely loose them, so ...ya tying them is better:)

Since you have an archery class, why not make some arm guards..if you have enough leather for that.

That is just stuff off the top of my head, and it sounds like you are on a good path!

I just thought I would add my 2 cents:)

Have a great Summer!

Edited by chancey77

:Newsicon:

We have arrived!

I can already feel the stresses of the outside world slipping away.