Pennypower

What Applicators Do You Like To Use To Dye?

I was wondering what your favorite applicators are for applying dye to edges and also dying leather. I'm making belts, and I've tried many different things but still haven't found a favorite. I'm going to the store tonight to get some make up applicator sponges to try.

Depends on what I'm doing. If it's a solid color belt with lots of tooling, I either sponge it all on or airbrush. If it's multi-color, I may hand brush (3, 5, and 0/10 are my favorite sizes), or mask with liquid latex and airbrush. Other times, if I'm going for a solid color with natural color in the tooling, I use a blue Scott shop towel and wipe it on with my hand. For edges, I ALWAYS us a foam sponge brush after sanding my edge so that it doesn't soak the dye in.

I usually dip dye, far better penetration and evenness. If I am just doing the surface I use a piece of sheep wool. Trim it to about 3/8". I do not ever edge dye a differant color.

Uhh, . . . 9 x 14 aluminum baking pan works real well.

Pour the dye into the pan, . . . drag the item through the dye, . . . hang it up to dry, . . . pour whatever is left back into the bottle, . . .

I gave up on sponges, brushes, applicators, etc, . . . mainly because I am a bit picky. If I am dyeing something, . . . I want the color to be uniform and predictable. Other than my baking pan, . . . an air brush was all I ever found that would do those two things, . . . and my ability to use it is pretty limited right now, . . . so I dip it.

One caution on dipping, though, . . . if you are doing a belt, . . . lay out enough newspapers that you can lay the belt on one edge for the first 1/2 hour of the drying process. If you don't, . . . sometimes, . . . the dye will drift to the bottom end of a belt hung vertically right after dyeing.

You wind up with a dark end and a lighter end, . . . UGH !

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

My edges are dyed the same color as the project. I use a sponge in a circular motion and make sure I get the edges by holding it sideways and running the sponge down it and rubbing the excess into the color of the project. I burnish later to make it darker and slick. Cheryl

For vinegaroon I dip it or run it through a plastic dish pan to dye it. It always seem to come out the best. I think dwight is probably on to something!!!!

For the edges I use pieces of thick felt about 3/8" thick, I cut it in small rectangles and hold it in a small clamp. I use this felt for my ankle holsters so I always have plenty of scraps for this, it works like a large felt tip market basically and makes a nice crisp line.

Belts ill either dip dye or use a foam brush to apply. I use the foam brushes for applying the finish as well. They work good and they are cheap.

When you say "foam brush", are you referring to these?....

http://springfieldleather.com/store/search.asp

I just got some of these in the mail and they're very flimsy with dye soaked in. It seems like they are discintegrating and falling apart. Are there better ones I can use?

How would you achieve this look?

post-39431-0-11424900-1365378858_thumb.j

Edited by Pennypower

The foam brushes I get are from Jo Ann fabrics or michaels, they have the wood handle on them. I've gotten some with a red plastic handle from Hobby lobby and they weren't as good. If you use them long enough they will fall apart but not that quickly.

The easiest way to get that look is with an airbrush, it takes almost no skill to do that, you can also do it by dry brushing it but that takes more skill to master the effect and it takes longer. I'd dye the whole thing saddle tan and airbrush mahogany around the edge and fade it out to nothing in the center, that should be pretty close to that color.

How would you achieve this look?

post-39431-0-11424900-1365378858_thumb.j

If I were attempting that, . . . air brush is the only thing I would think of. I'm not really good with it, . . . and there are some folks on this site who do some fantastic stuff, . . . especially holsters, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Definitely airbrush. I'd follow Billy's mixture, but I'd probably add some brown to the outer edge, so it's more of a 3 tone burst. That's kind of what it looks like to me. I've seen people do it by dry brushing, and I've done it myself in the past, but the time it takes to make it look even is a real pain.

I have used many things for dying, depends on what I'm trying to do...

I have used a fine hand brush, fleece dauber, I've tried a 1 inch paint brush, and

sometimes I use a small piece of sponge held with a clothes pin for dying edges, and now I just keep some of each

around to use for different projects... It just depends on what you are doing...

Sometimes I use a foam brush and I got some at Amazon - pack of 48 for $10 .99

post-15330-0-52371600-1365388204_thumb.j Foam Brush

( free shipping on orders over $25.00 )

Edited by LNLeather

Definitely airbrush. I'd follow Billy's mixture, but I'd probably add some brown to the outer edge, so it's more of a 3 tone burst. That's kind of what it looks like to me. I've seen people do it by dry brushing, and I've done it myself in the past, but the time it takes to make it look even is a real pain.

I've tried 3 colors in the past but it didn't make any real difference unless the third color is black and even then its still slight. Even with 2 colors you get a 3 tone effect, you have the saddle tan in the center, then out from that you have the saddle tan with some mahogany over it and on the outside its just mahogany since it has no problems covering the tan and you can spray it heavy and get it really dark around the edge if you want.

I have used many things for dying, depends on what I'm trying to do...

I have used a fine hand brush, fleece dauber, I've tried a 1 inch paint brush, and

sometimes I use a small piece of sponge held with a clothes pin for dying edges, and now I just keep some of each

around to use for different projects... It just depends on what you are doing...

Sometimes I use a foam brush and I got some at Amazon - pack of 48 for $10 .99

post-15330-0-52371600-1365388204_thumb.j Foam Brush

( free shipping on orders over $25.00 )

You can get the same brushes at Jo Ann's for 5.00 for 25 of them, plus if you download the Jo Ann's app on your phone you can usually get 30-50% off one item each visit.

Thanks so much! I can't wait to get an airbrush.....someday ;-)

Well I've been playing around with dye and trying all kinds of things to get a graduated look. I'm starting to figure out what's working, at least for now. It seems that if I wet the leather, and wet the sponge or cloth, and used diluted oil dye, or even water based dye, then I have pretty good control of the colors. It's not flawless but it's getting better! I'm not sure yet if I like the sponge or the microfiber cloth better. I guess long term, sponges will be cheaper!

Also, I tried the felt for dyeing edges and OH MY GOODNESS it works!!! Finally I'm able to do edges without frustration so thank you BillyMac814 for suggesting that!!!

OOOOOOoooooooo :banana:

You can get the same brushes at Jo Ann's for 5.00 for 25 of them, plus if you download the Jo Ann's app on your phone you can usually get 30-50% off one item each visit.

Thank You billymac814 - Thanks for that tip! Although I often order from Amazon, so coming up with $25 dollars worth of things to order isn't hard. I live on an island and there isn't any thing available here that remotely resembles any thing for leather-work - other than a sponge or a brush - and the prices are pretty high here - I am always looking for the best price... I also always check prices with Amazon, because there are quite a few things available there that might be less expensive because some are also eligible for the Free Shipping, or the shipping might be less than else where...

A basic one is pretty cheap. This one is $9

http://www.harborfre...-kit-47791.html

Now this is also Verrry interesting - Thank you electrathon - another grrreat tip!

* I also wanted to mention, you can clean most of those brushes and re-use them many times.

I have been using the same 3 foam brushes for a couple of weeks now. I also write on the wood handle

with a sharpie what it is for... dye, antique, or whatever... so I don't cross contaminate the Super Sheen

with dark tan antique... :thumbsup:

Edited by LNLeather

I reuse them until they just about fall apart. I will admit I don't bother cleaning them though. Sometimes ill clean out the one I use for resolene if I only use it real quick otherwise those ones get tossed.

When I'm done with a new one I dip the very end of the wood part in the dye that way I know what color it's for. That works for me but I don't generally use more than 3 different colors regularly. That may not work as well if you use a bunch of colors or colors that are very similar.