Sign in to follow this  
Toni

Vintage Longhorn Saddle Worth Buying?

I saw this saddle on a flyer for an auction this week and it really caught my eye. I have a Longhorn cutting saddle that I love. I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of when this was made and approximate value. I tend to get carried away at auctions. I am looking at it for my 14 year old son.

post-32220-034285600 1339382157_thumb.jp

I saw this saddle on a flyer for an auction this week and it really caught my eye. I have a Longhorn cutting saddle that I love. I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of when this was made and approximate value. I tend to get carried away at auctions. I am looking at it for my 14 year old son.

Looks very early 70's, and has not had much love. I would not bid over $100 because it needs a lot of TLC, and that's if there is no dry rot or cracking on important parts like the stirrup leathers. A saddle that neglected would also have suspicious stitching. There's not much about it that makes it worth more than that in its current condition, and it isn't particularly collectable.

Toni, did you get the Longhorn?