ouchmyfinger

Toro 4000 Not Moving Material

Hey everyone, i just got my machine and i was trying to do some tension adjustments and everything was going fine. I was about to maybe stitch a project with it and i waked up to the machine to try a sample again and it decided to not move the material anymore. I have tried leathers of different thickness and also minor adjustments on the pressure foot with no different results.

i have also tried reverse and making the stitch length longer with no results, it just moves up and down. it seems like everything is operating like it should, there are no parts not moving the way they should that i can see

any ideas

closer analyzing using just the hand wheel.......

it is pushing the material in the correct direction and then pushing it back where it was

how do i fix this

closer analyzing using just the hand wheel.......

it is pushing the material in the correct direction and then pushing it back where it was

how do i fix this

To control back-feed, change the position of the inside foot, in relation to the position of the needle. Try to have the inner foot make contact with the top layer at about a fraction of second after the needle touches the surface..There should be a hex head screw on the control arm coming from the back of the head, and controlling the inside foot position. Loose the screw, then move the wheel until the needle just touches the top layer. Them move the inside foot down onto the leather and tighten it up. It may take some experimentation to find the sweet spot for the inside foot to land, to counteract the forward push.

To control back-feed, change the position of the inside foot, in relation to the position of the needle. Try to have the inner foot make contact with the top layer at about a fraction of second after the needle touches the surface..There should be a hex head screw on the control arm coming from the back of the head, and controlling the inside foot position. Loose the screw, then move the wheel until the needle just touches the top layer. Them move the inside foot down onto the leather and tighten it up. It may take some experimentation to find the sweet spot for the inside foot to land, to counteract the forward push.

im a sewing machine rookie but pretty good with figuring things out, could you be a little more rookie friendly. here is what i understand from your post. the inside foot it the foot that the needle goes down through correct? where i am lost is the control arm part. and i am sure when i know what that is and loosen the screws i will be able to figure out my next question which is how do i move one part of the machine and then the other? i assume this screw will keep certain parts from reciprocating.

also it was set up for thick leather when i received it so how is it possible that all of a sudden it is too low for thinner material, i figured i would have the opposite problem of it not coming down far enough

thanks for your help, i really need to get this thing going today

The arm I referred to is on the left in this photo. It cranks the inside foot up and down once the outside foot is all the way down. Loosen the big hex head bolt on top of the arm and you can freely reposition the inside presser foot, in relation to the point of the needle.

Usually, if the inside foot hits too soon or too late, the work gets pushed back towards you by the feed dog (bad dog!).

post-11118-013332900 1335731968_thumb.jp

Edited by Wizcrafts

well here is where I'm at now. i talked to steve today as well and i had to adjust the cam behind the stitch length lever from the back. the first time the machine was going in reverse when it was not in reverse so i moved it around 180 degrees and tinkered with it from there.

the needle was coming down and the inside presser foot was moving back too early and the needle was trying to squeeze its way out of the inside presser foot hole/horseshoe thing. i assume i can still tinker with this to get it correct.

main concern as of now. the hand wheel is getting hard to turn once in a great while, maybe every 10 rotations, i disconnected the belt and took the needle out to ensure that i wasn't getting friction from that as i was moving the material during my adjustments and it continued to still happen

i called a repair guy i knew to see if he could swing by and haven't heard back yet, i have also oiled the machine as per the instructions

any ideas? i was hoping to have this operational to get some work done tomorrow

thanks

You can depress the foot pedal then turn the hand wheel. Should be easy to turn now but only while you depress the pedal.

Ferg

main concern as of now. the hand wheel is getting hard to turn once in a great while, maybe every 10 rotations, i disconnected the belt and took the needle out to ensure that i wasn't getting friction from that as i was moving the material during my adjustments and it continued to still happen

i called a repair guy i knew to see if he could swing by and haven't heard back yet, i have also oiled the machine as per the instructions

any ideas? i was hoping to have this operational to get some work done tomorrow

thanks

I left the machine with the wheel being hard to turn. I stepped back up to it and it was easy to turn again lol. Uuuuuugh. I spun the wheel many times and everything went well except the needle is still going down into the foots hole but on the way up the needle is either being pulled out towards me or the foot is leaving earlier than the needle. Is that even possible. There is no thread being used during my tinkering.

i called a sewing machine mechanic friend of mine and he finally made it by today, he had a lot of minor adjustments to make and now it works like a dream. i haven't really got to do anything with it but i appreciate your help and it didn't cost me too much to get it up and running.

i really appreciate your help