EricDobson

Books (Dvds?) For Beginners

Just like all beginners in the honeymoon phase of a new hobby I've been devouring all the information I can find on leather working. I'm in a fortunate but dangerous situation. I'm not rich by any means (ok that's not true, I always have to remember the Global Rich List when I say something like that) but if I wanted I could buy anything I wanted for working leather. Somehow I don't think it'd be best for a total beginner to run out and order a Campbell. In any case, I've blown enough money on temporary pursuits to have (mostly) learned my lesson. As a musician of almost 20 years, I know better than most that great tools are are always worth the cost, but consistent practice counts far more than anything. So, I'm taking it slow.

Step one was to join this forum! I'm already overwhelmed by the amount of great information here and the countless helpful craftsman. I hope in time my skill improves to the point that I can be helpful to others. In the mean time I can at least write about the steps I take and if they worked out or not.

Step two was to order a few books. I had done a little research on Amazon before finding this forum and the book I had it narrowed down to was Al Stohlman's The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather. The only problem was that it's really hard to tell with craft books if they're true guides to learning great skills, or mass-market crap. What really impressed me after searching the forums is how, not only how many people straight up recommend this book to all beginners, but how highly it's spoken of in passing comments. It seems to be almost a given, that people casually discussing some technique often say "here's what I do and that's how it's done in Al's book." So clearly, this book went straight to the top of my list.

Based on all the discussion I could find, I decided to just go nuts with the Stohlman books... so I also got Leathercraft Tools: How To Use Them, How To Sharpen Them. My overall plan is to buy the minimum tools I need to get started hand stitching, but to buy really great, high end tools. I know that even if I never turn pro, this is a hobby I'll use off and on over the course of my life, and I want tools that I'll never have to replace. Since the description of this book says, "This complete guide helps you with the proper selection, use and care of tools." and it comes highly recommended on the forums, it was an easy choice.

Past that I thought I'd get some books that I know I don't need immediately, but I can begin to get an idea of specific areas of leatherwork I'll probably be interested in. So I picked up The Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3. Like I said I'm sure I don't need all three right away, but they're gonna go on the shelf eventually so why not... Finally I also got a copy of How To Make Holsters. I gather this is not a beginners book, but I'm sure I'll be making my share of holsters and right now it's a pretty big mystery to me of how exactly they're made, or especially how they're designed.

In my current situation I have at least a one week wait to receive packages and no stores I can visit. I really want to jump in all at once and order tools and leather, and get started right away. But I know I'll be better off after another one or two weeks of reading the forums and these books, and will have a better chance of starting with tools I'll be happy with and skills I can build on. And after all, I've got years ahead of me if I'm ever going to make it to craftsman, so what's a couple weeks? Slow and steady and all that...

Finally a couple questions...

1. What books would you add to this list as absolutely essential to any craftsman's library?

2. Are there any DVDs you'd recommend? There are some helpful videos on YouTube, but it'd be really great to have hours of pros at my disposal to watch over and over.

Edited by EricDobson

I forgot to mention other interests that aren't represented above... belts (definitely), sheepskin lining, footwear (maybe)... I'm not worried much about decoration to start. I just want to learn to make good, sturdy items that will last longer than I will.

I forgot to mention other interests that aren't represented above... belts (definitely), sheepskin lining, footwear (maybe)... I'm not worried much about decoration to start. I just want to learn to make good, sturdy items that will last longer than I will.

Eric,

There are many free tutorials noted on this forum and at Tandy's Web Site. I suggest you should look at those and download as many as you like, they are mostly PDF format. Great information and How To's and it is free.

You can look at some of the "Pay" tutorials also of course.

My .02 worth :)

ferg

PS: You have a good start on your Leather Worker Library, I have a bunch of them.

Eric, first welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas! Secondly, I am sorry to hear about your infatuation for leather now that you found it. Just kiddings. Unfortunately, you are in a postion that of us (basically me) are not where we have the funding source to purchase whatever we need for this hobby, though rich or not, I believe most of us have spent a fortunate on this thing we call leathercrafting. I know that I have and the wife keep reminding me as tools and books trickle in. Here are some of my recommendations as an almost 4 year resident of leather crafting.

I would look for resale books because most of the basic, intermediate and semi-advance books were written and published many years ago. That is not to say that there are not any newer resources that have been published, but they tend to be (in my opinion) more for the intermediate to advance crafter. This forum already had a "used for sale" section where I would recommend that you look for interesting resources in the field that you are looking to divulge into. The advantage is that you are able to contact the seller and get some detail and personal informaiton as to what the particular resource they are seller will or will not help you. Another plus for the "non-global rich" is that you will most likely get it for a lower cost than current pricing. I would also say the same things for tools and such.

Once you determine what section of this craft you are willing to dive into, I would recommend looking into maybe seeking a course, training or short term intership with a master in that particular field. For instance, there is a master Sheridan Crafter I have been considering a short intership (one on one) with who is nationally recognized and published authority in this field. His cost is steep even for me, but he also is interested in what I am wanting to concentrate my efforts into while I am with him. His current fee is $175 a day, which for me is steep right now, but maybe the first part of next year, well, maybe!

So, I guess what I am trying to say is take a look at books and dvds (hidecrafters in Fort Worth Texas) has a good number of videos for sale. Read up on your specific craft are and take it a step at a time before you move on to the next one. When all else fails, remember you have this forum to just ask questions and see what kind of responses you get and go from there.

Either way, best of luck and Happy Carving!

You might also try your local library. They sometimes have books on leatherworking.

There are many free tutorials noted on this forum and at Tandy's Web Site. I suggest you should look at those and download as many as you like, they are mostly PDF format. Great information and How To's and it is free.

Thanks ferg... I just found some of the info on the Tandy site. Looks like it will fill in some of the basics I've been missing. And wow, I just found their list of free videos so I'll have to check those out too (several times if they're any good).

I would look for resale books because most of the basic, intermediate and semi-advance books were written and published many years ago. ... This forum already had a "used for sale" section where I would recommend that you look for interesting resources in the field that you are looking to divulge into. The advantage is that you are able to contact the seller and get some detail and personal information as to what the particular resource they are seller will or will not help you.

I hadn't seen the 'for sale' section yet. This forum is huge! I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Like you said, I can find used books on Amazon and elsewhere but it'll never be the same as having someone knowledgeable tell me if it's a good resource for me personally. That'll be a huge help. Thanks for your helpful and encouraging response. I'm sure I'll be back with a lot of questions.

You might also try your local library. They sometimes have books on leatherworking.

One thing I failed to mention is I'm stationed in Italy for another 8 months, which is why I don't have access to a local library, the usual stores, or (English speaking) craftsman I could work with. I'm sure there are some amazing resources here, and hopefully I can find out what they are and take better advantage of my time here... but it's certainly not as simple as checking the yellow pages.

For those who may come later, here are the links mentioned above:

Tandy Leathercraft ABCs

Tandy Free Leathercraft Instructional Videos

Leatherworker.net Tutorials

Leatherworker.net For Sale Forums

DVDs from Hidecrafter Leather Company

Edited by EricDobson

Something else you might add to your list is subscribing to the "Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal". It's a magazine devoted to us poor leather carvers and it covers a lot of material in just a short time. It comes out every two months and it could be a little pricy for some of us, it's well worth getting. Besides all of the articles on various subjects, one thing I always look at are the ad's. They will lead you to other places that carry tools and different leather. You can check them out on line by going to: http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com/ and I think you can even subscribe to them here. Welcome to the wonderful world of leather crafting. Once you get hooked on it there is no turning back.

Good tip joet, I checked it out and ordered my subscription to the Journal... looking forward to the first issue arriving!

1. What books would you add to this list as absolutely essential to any craftsman's library?

2. Are there any DVDs you'd recommend? There are some helpful videos on YouTube, but it'd be really great to have hours of pros at my disposal to watch over and over.

Gday Eric

Welcome to LW

I mainly do braiding and i have all of Ron Edwards and Tom Hall books , well worth the money I also have some whip making dvds from an old mate called Burnie , you can contact him at www.embrandwhips.com He shows you step by step and i assure you he makes a mighty fine whip ,,, and so will you if you follow his dvds, i also have some Xxxx Xxxxxxx books that i bought for making Bosals ,,, they are ok but you will have to read between the lines tho ,,, mesurements not true and passes are up the shit but there are some good pics to look at !!!!!

That is if you are looking at doing some plaitting in your spare time Eric

Cheers from down under

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

If your near France or Venice...................I've help two LW members who live there. I could see if they could hook up with you and help you out? maybe one on one? On the main LW forum page, scroll down to the "For Sale" section under books and video. I have some beginner things on there.....take a gander! Shiipping will kill you though. Eitherway, I would try buying on here first......you can always contact the sellers back and usually are very helpful!

Either way, your on the winning side, Happy Carving!

hello all,

first post here. :)

for an absolute beginner, is the "Leathercrafter's Ultimate Workshop" kit, a good buy? $549.99

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Beginning-Leather-Kits/55512-01.aspx?feature=Product_1

i am an absolute novice, and want to start out right.