cipherr

Looking For Tool List Feedback

Hello !

As this forum section generally suggestes, I'm rather new to leather crafting. I've done a lot of research, and I just want some more skilled individuals to proof my list of tools and things I intend to purchase. I already own the tool set for carving designs and things into leather, this list is more focused on what I need to cut, sew, etc. I also have a few questions about some things, so I would really appreciate anyone who can give me some feedback on it all. While I plan to make some small things to practice, I would eventually like to try making a sheath for

a small knife.

So here's my list

Awl - I hear diamond shaped ones are good. I've also seen awls that have a thread spool built in. I would like a little guidance on needles, assuming I'll need some other kind too maybe.

Leather punch tools - Would buying a set of loose tools be better than getting the pliers kind? I've also seen a tool that's used for spacing the dots to poke holes with, not sure if worth it.

Leather Edge Beveller - Is there a finishing tool that I need more than this? Or a good alternative?

Knife - Aka something to cut the leather with. Seems people use exactos or box cutters mostly? What about using a rotary blade (pizza-cutter shaped thing)?

Contact cement, Oil finishes, dyes, etc (as needed)

And of course leather and threads.

So what am I missing here? Anything that would be helpful for a sheath? Anything that would just be good to have in general? I know a lot of people here seem to like getting books and things on the topic. I feel like the internet is a good enough resource, but maybe I'm wrong? I would really appreciate any tips.

Thanks for reading!

Hello !
As this forum section generally suggestes, I'm rather new to leather crafting. I've done a lot of research, and I just want some more skilled individuals to proof my list of tools and things I intend to purchase. I already own the tool set for carving designs and things into leather, this list is more focused on what I need to cut, sew, etc. I also have a few questions about some things, so I would really appreciate anyone who can give me some feedback on it all. While I plan to make some small things to practice, I would eventually like to try making a sheath for
a small knife.
So here's my list
Awl - I hear diamond shaped ones are good. I've also seen awls that have a thread spool built in. I would like a little guidance on needles, assuming I'll need some other kind too maybe. Diamond awls are for stitching. The shape of the hole gets the thread to lay nice. Round awls are for scratching, aligning rivet holes, enlarging holes to fit hardware, and also used on square corners while stitching. Its hard to do a nice corner with a diamond hole. Skip the auto awls. Real stitching is way better. Needles depend on the thread size which depends on stitches per inch and leather thickness, plus personal preference
Leather punch tools - Would buying a set of loose tools be better than getting the pliers kind? I've also seen a tool that's used for spacing the dots to poke holes with, not sure if worth it. The pliers have smaller holes in general and are quieter to use. They can make crooked holes in thick leather due to the arc of swing. Plus they can only reach so far into the piece of leather. My advice is get a 20 dollar set of hollow punches from harbor freight and either hone them yourself or get someone to do it. If you wear one out or break it, replace just that size with an osbourne or something.
Stitch spacing is a whole topic itself. Watch nigel armitages videos on youtube and you will have more than sufficient info on this topic for a lifetime. He has basically shared his lifetimes work. Nigel, if you are reading this, thanks again.
Leather Edge Beveller - Is there a finishing tool that I need more than this? Or a good alternative? Some kind of edge burnisher. Look up edge burnishing tutorials on this site. There are lots of ways to burnish, some cheap on tools, costly in labour, while others are lightning fast but the tools cost more.
Knife - Aka something to cut the leather with. Seems people use exactos or box cutters mostly? What about using a rotary blade (pizza-cutter shaped thing)? Rotary knives suck in thicker leather. Round/head knives are the traditional knife of choice, but lots (perhaps most) use some form of exacto. Try to ensure you have stiff blades for straight edges. Flexy exactos suck for cutting straight.
Contact cement, Oil finishes, dyes, etc (as needed) Yup. Get it as you need it per each project
And of course leather and threads.
So what am I missing here? Anything that would be helpful for a sheath? Anything that would just be good to have in general? I know a lot of people here seem to like getting books and things on the topic. I feel like the internet is a good enough resource, but maybe I'm wrong? I would really appreciate any tips.
You need a big and little ruler for cutting and a set of dividers is very usefull. A stitching pony or horse is really helpfull.
Thanks for reading!

Hi TinkerTailor,

Thanks for the tips!

Awls - if that's the case, the maybe I should get a diamond and a round one? I assume I'll be working with rivets and things eventually. As for other needles, I'll just wait until I see what initial thread(s) I end up with.

Punch tools - yeah I was sort of thinking that at the end of the day that a loose set of different sizes would be more useful than the plier kind. I'll look into the video(s) you mentioned about stitch spacing when I get the chance, and see where I want to go from there.

Finishing Tools - I'll add an edge burnisher to my list as well, but I'll make sure to do some research before picking out the right one. I honestly don't mind the additional labor anyways.

Knives - that doesn't surprise me about the rotary knife. Whatever I end up with, I'll make sure it's nothing flimsy like you said.

I do have rulers, although I'll need to test them to see if they're good enough for guides (might be too thin). I'll have to read up more on the stitching pony / horse since it seems like it'll likely be a bigger investment. Unless the cheap ones do the job just fine.

Thanks a ton, and if anyone has anything else to add, feel free to chime in. I won't be making any purchases for another few days probably anyways.

Cipher, Tinker did a good job of covering things however I will add my two cents worth, we all have are own set of experiences. I am definitely in agreement with the diamond awl. The scratch awl (round) can come in handy for some jobs, marking lines etc.

I have both a set of individual punches and a quality rotary punch. When you are making a lot of holes along the edge of a project you will appreciate the convenience of the rotary punch. When you are punching through some really thick leather a hammer driven punch will work better. Also when you have to punch holes more then about an 1 1/2" from the edge you will need the individual punch as the throat on the rotary punch will not be deep enough.

We all have are preferred method of laying out and marking holes for stitching Nigels video primarily shows using pricking irons for marking holes. It works great for those who want to go that way especially if you want the kind of slanted stitch appearance. I have always used a overstitch wheel. I lay out my stitch groove then select the wheel I want to use based on the number of stitches per inch I want. Then I run the wheel in the groove marking my stitches. You will not get the slanted stitch look with this method , the stitch line will be straight.

FOr knives there are many options however I think for starting out a good utility knife with replaceable blades is the best way to go. Many experienced people still use a utility knife. Rotary knives work well on long straight cuts not so well on sharper curves.

The sort of question you ask appears regularly on this forum, have a look at past threads under Leatherwork Conversation, Grtting Started, and Leather Tools, and the replies would suit you.

Yes, there is a lot of information on the Net, such as this forum; and YouTube - there are about 15 pages each with about a dozen videos, but it tends to be a bit fragmented & long winded, that's why books such as the one by Valerie Michael, and Al Stohlman are often recommended; you'll find them when you look back on this forum

On Youtube, you could put 'leatherwork' into the search box, or 'Nigel Armitage' for his videos.

But here are my ideas for a beginner's list

You'll need a cutting board, the usual green things with a grid pattern are good & cheap; get a big one

you will need two knives

A craft/utility/Stanley/box cutter knife. Get one you like & that is comfortable, and find some blades that don't wobble. Use this exclusively for cutting leather.

Although the blades are supposed to be disposable, they seem to get better when you have resharpened them a few times

the second knife can be anything you like. Use it to open parcels, cut string, sharpen pencils, and so on. It's purpose is to make sure that you use the first one only for cutting leather

the 4-in-1 awl you often see isn't very good, and is expensive. You're better off getting a separate diamond section awl, aka a saddler's or harness awl;and a round aka scratch awl.

A number 2 or 3 edge beveller

Something to mark stitching holes; a pricking iron or an overstitch wheel will mark the positions, but you have to make the holes with a saddler's awl. A stitching chisel can be used in a similar way to mark positions, but it can also be used to make the holes, though you may well have to tidy them up with an awl. Make sure it is a STITCHING chisel, and not a lacing chisel.

I suggest a 4-prong stitching chisel with 3mm spacing to start

An adjustable stitch groover

You can start hitting tools with an ordinary hammer, but that will soon burr over the end of the tool, so get a wooden, or a hide, or a plastic mallet asap. Don't use a rubber one as they bounce too much.

Somewhere recently I've described using a small piece of leather as an edge burnisher - 30mm square & 3mm thick or so. Fold it over the edge and polish it along, holding it down with your fingers.

For thread, start with a small roll of natural colour 18/3 linen thread, and some beeswax, and see what else you want as you go along. Ask the supplier for needles to match. I wouldn't get the stitching-cum-hand sewing machine, it, too, is expensive and not very good. Concentrate on getting your saddle stitch right

You can make a strop and a hand edge beveller yourself. Could try a stitching pony too. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it does the job

Plier type rotary punches are best for very thin leather. I would get those you hammer. Could get the set with interchangeable heads to start with

Read, Surf, watch YouTube, especially Nigel Armitage. the more you do that, the more you will learn & know, and hopefully make a few less mistakes

@ camano

As for the whole punchers, I think I might just try the loose ones first, then maybe get a pair of rotary ones somewhere down the line. I don't expect to be making any projects for a while that are physically that large anyways. I honestly really like the idea of the overstitch wheel, especially for beginner. I was learning towards getting one anyways, and I'm glad to hear it's viable. And yeah, I would think anything with replaceable blades would be pretty necessary. I would think cutting leather dulls blades fast. I think I've decided to not go with a rotary knife, at least for now.

@ zuludog

I know there are a lot of other threads on this, and I've read a lot of them. They all sort of say slightly different things about what you need, I guess relative to the experiences of the people who are replying. Hence I just made my own list as a starting point, instead of asking what I need without that starting point. Anyways, you have some very helpful specifics here, and I really appreciate that. I'll use it as a reference when I'm making my purchases. That idea of a second knife is smart as well, luckily I've got a few others lying around.

Thanks to both of you for your input, I appreciate it!