BobFitz

Needle, Thread And Awl For Stitching Shoe Outsoles

What is the best thread size, needle size and type and awl type for hand stitching outsoles on shoes?

Trying my hand at my first pair of shoes in my new retirement project.

Thanks,

Bob

More power to you buddy. I hand sew welt and upper to the insole, but I use a Landis 12 for sewing the welt to the outsole. To sew by hand, you will need to open a channel in the bottom of the outsole to sink the stitchline and then use an awl thinner than a pegging awl but with the same type of handle (so you can strike with a mallet if necessary) to put the holes through the outsole and the welt. Then just harness stitch with waxed linen thread. Close the channel back up when finished. Or you could alternatively peg the whole sole on; I've pegged heels and insteps, but not the sole. There are probably a lot of way to accomplish the task. Good luck with it.

Art

I would say minimum 5 cord thread only because that is what I use in the machines. Needles and awls would depend on SPI. For needles, it is traditional to use hog bristles, but fishing line (40 lb monofiliment) would work. You might want to drop Lisa Sorrell a note and see what she would use. Her It's a Boot Life Videos can give you a lot of help.

Art