mojo3120

Cutting Out Small Letters

I'm trying to figure out how to cut out small letters like the these. I've tried stenciling and cutting out with a sharp scalpel, which came out decent looking, but nowhere near as perfect as these look. Anyone know how this is done?

post-35439-0-42784000-1367227399_thumb.j

post-35439-0-11865300-1367227401_thumb.j

post-35439-0-80000200-1367227402_thumb.j

I would hazard a guess that it is done with a clicker and dies. It is literally a bent piece of steel, sharpened on the down edge, arranged to be a closed loop that IS the shape of your object.

If you can think of cutting biscuits with a milk glass, . . . it is the same concept, . . . except it uses very sharp steel made into a design, . . . and either an air powered or hydraulic powered press.

They're not exactly inexpensive either.

The words: Norfolk, Captain, Firefighter, Fire/Rescue, . . . those also could have been done with a pantograph engraver, . . . another expensive little toy.

If I were going to attempt to do that type of work, . . . my first choice would be to go to someone like Weaver Leather, . . . or maybe Tippmann Company (makes the Tippmann Boss sewing machine), . . . and ask them about clickers and dies.

At the same time take a look at this youtube, . . . while he is doing this in wood, . . . the same concept can be adapted to leather:

In the leather work, . . . the letters would be actually left standing, . . . the background would be eliminated by the router cutting blade. I've done a little work with a router on leather, . . . it does and awesome job if your tool is really sharp.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks for the replies. I wonder how much it would cost to have someone laser cut them? Don't really want to spend a fortune.

I found some bigger pictures, including one that's unfinished.

shield1.jpg

shield2.jpg

post-35439-0-41956700-1367235806_thumb.j

post-35439-0-43185300-1367235808_thumb.j

post-35439-0-72377400-1367235810_thumb.j

post-35439-0-28117600-1367235812_thumb.j

I would hazard a guess that it is done with a clicker and dies. It is literally a bent piece of steel, sharpened on the down edge, arranged to be a closed loop that IS the shape of your object.

If you can think of cutting biscuits with a milk glass, . . . it is the same concept, . . . except it uses very sharp steel made into a design, . . . and either an air powered or hydraulic powered press.

They're not exactly inexpensive either.

Looks like that Tippmann machine is just a couple heavy duty C clamps and a pneumatic air bag. Not sure why they'd go pneumatic over hydraulic for this application, I'm sure there must be some reason.

I own a 20 ton hydraulic shop press. With the correct cutting board, sandwiched between 2 large arbor plates, I think it should work just as well. Do you know of a source for dies?

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but it appears to me that the smaller letters are probably laser cut, as there appears to be some burn marks on the unfinished one.

The ENG and INE look like they were carved and beveled inverted to me. Ross

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but it appears to me that the smaller letters are probably laser cut, as there appears to be some burn marks on the unfinished one.

Yea I noticed that too. I wonder if I drew up some alphabets in CAD and took it to a machine shop with a laser if I could get it cut reasonably?

The ENG and INE look like they were carved and beveled inverted to me. Ross

Agreed. The small letters are really the only part I haven't figured out (sorry, should have specified that). I really like the look & have never seen it done before. Other shields just use cheap vinyl cut decals there.

Texas custom dies can make cutting dies for you. http://www.texascustomdies.com/products.php. See bottom of page.

There are lots of other suppliers around too. For something like "CHIEF" you could order steel, delrin, or other types of plastic stamps from companies like http://www.infinitystamps.com/leather_stamps.html. Do a search here and you will find other suppliers too. Lots of posts have been for makers stamps ... so if you search for them, you'll find them.

Tom

We have to print letters out on cardstock. Cut the letters out. Then spray the back of letters with glue and stick on leather as a template and cut again. Best done with fresh razors.

Good Old Barges Cement would hold them on just fine, especially since they are in protected recessed areas.

You should be able to glue the leather to card stock and use a scroll saw to cut them out.

Yep. Laser, and yes, there are any number of glues out there that would be strong enough for this type of application. Barge or even super glue would work. Epoxy, you name it.

Tippman probably went pneumatic because that's what most of their company deals in. As for the letters, My coworker has had luck taking a small lacing chisel and sharpening it to use as a swivel knife. Might try that, but I don't know if that would work for you if a scalpel isn't doing the job.