Sign in to follow this  
JRLeather2

Softening garment leather....

I have a full length black leather duster, the leather is "stiffer' than i would like, doesn't flow or drape as nicely as I think it should. How can I soften it??????

I have a full length black leather duster, the leather is "stiffer' than i would like, doesn't flow or drape as nicely as I think it should. How can I soften it??????

There is a posibility that your duster is water buffalo which is what a lot of the Pakistani leather goods are, or, in the worst case senarion, split garment leather with an imprinted grain pattern. In the second case, the imprinting compresses the fibers and makes for a stiff product which you probably can't soften too well.

I can tell you what I have done to soften buffalo leather - go over it with a light coat of Lexol and then put it in the clothes dryer on the lowest heat setting for an hour or so. I have only done this with sides and not finished garments, so proceed at your own risk.

There is a posibility that your duster is water buffalo which is what a lot of the Pakistani leather goods are, or, in the worst case senarion, split garment leather with an imprinted grain pattern. In the second case, the imprinting compresses the fibers and makes for a stiff product which you probably can't soften too well.

I can tell you what I have done to soften buffalo leather - go over it with a light coat of Lexol and then put it in the clothes dryer on the lowest heat setting for an hour or so. I have only done this with sides and not finished garments, so proceed at your own risk.

does this method work on any leather i have some top grain cow i would like to woften not sure what tanning process was used on it.

and where do i find lexol?

does this method work on any leather i have some top grain cow i would like to woften not sure what tanning process was used on it.

and where do i find lexol?

You can find Lexol at most tack shops and online. As far as your leather being top grain, that could refer to a number of different leather types. Regardless of the leather, top grain (not the best quality, as some think) is often a leather that has been sanded and imprinted with a faux leather grain, but is the hair side of the hide. Full grain is the natural grain of the leather that has not been altered to cover imperfections. A better product because only hides with few blemishes can be used.

If it is soft, like garment or upholstery hide it is chrome tanned. If it is firm, like a belt, probably veg tanned. Some leather has a great deal of finish on it and I wouldn't chance putting it in a dryer.

You can find Lexol at most tack shops and online. As far as your leather being top grain, that could refer to a number of different leather types. Regardless of the leather, top grain (not the best quality, as some think) is often a leather that has been sanded and imprinted with a faux leather grain, but is the hair side of the hide. Full grain is the natural grain of the leather that has not been altered to cover imperfections. A better product because only hides with few blemishes can be used.

If it is soft, like garment or upholstery hide it is chrome tanned. If it is firm, like a belt, probably veg tanned. Some leather has a great deal of finish on it and I wouldn't chance putting it in a dryer.

i believe it is full grain , at the moment i am jsut using scrap so i migh just chance it. thanks for the info.

when you put in dryer maker sure its on a no heat cycle. and another thing you can do to soften is put tennis balls in dryer with item. they will sort of beat up the leather a bit also. Bronc