tkshoe

Singer 29K58

I have been offered a singer 29K hand machine which looks very adaptable and a woderful piece of engineering. I wonder whether this would be suitable 'all rounder' type machine for me to make the occasional pair of shoes. I am not sure the maximum thickness of leather it can sew or thread size it can handle. Thank you for your advice

They were made to sew 1/4" thick & were more for repair the a finish good.The reason is to foot pulls the leather & to do so it has teeth that will leave marks on the topside of whatever your sewing.If you smooth the teeth down than it won't pull the leather evenly.Max thread size I recommend is #92.

Hello Bob,

Thank you, that is a great help. My wife tells me those marks will matter. I am inclined not to look too closely and just wear the shoes. It sounds like it is rigid enough though.

Thanks Tom

It's a great first machine to have,pretty easy to run & I know all the parts,needles & etc are easy to get.