I purchased this show saddle used. It is numbered 1994. I don't think that is the year because of the style. Can anyone help me identify the maker? I have shown it to several tack dealers and they couldn't find a maker. All agreed it was a very well made saddle. I have more detailed photos. Thanks!

ShowSaddle.jpg

Show15.JPG

post-11502-1250386619_thumb.jpg

post-11502-1250386892_thumb.jpg

Edited by TrinityBrook

What part of the country did you buy the saddle?

With no makers stamp and obvisouly made by someone who knew what they were doing makes me wonder if it was made by someone who was working for someone else at the time.

What part of the country did you buy the saddle?

With no makers stamp and obvisouly made by someone who knew what they were doing makes me wonder if it was made by someone who was working for someone else at the time.

Hi Casey,

I bought it in New Hampshire at a tack shop where it was consigned. I didn't get the name of the owner and the tack dealer didn't know the maker.

Show18.JPG

Show23.JPG

post-11502-1250471445_thumb.jpg

post-11502-1250471485_thumb.jpg

Mmmm I saddle that nice you would think there would be a makers mark somewhere on it. Did you look at the skirts under the jockeys? There may be one under the silver plate on the strap keeper.

Art

Hi Casey,

I bought it in New Hampshire at a tack shop where it was consigned. I didn't get the name of the owner and the tack dealer didn't know the maker.

I've looked everywhere and had several saddle experts and even a saddle maker look at it! There's a date or number stamped on it and an empty space where a maker should have put a mark. I'll try to get a photo of that and send it.

Thanks for helping!

When I look at the silver on the rear housing it has been badly applied. The manufacturers often would not put their mark on them as they didn't want anyone identifying it as their work. These saddles are often sold as seconds but the flaws do not affect useablility.

The silver appears to be " montana Silver" + . Artificial fleece = mid price saddle.. probably built in the 90's.

When I look at the silver on the rear housing it has been badly applied. The manufacturers often would not put their mark on them as they didn't want anyone identifying it as their work. These saddles are often sold as seconds but the flaws do not affect useablility.

That's a good possibility. I wondered about that because that's the only place that the silver was not as nice as the rest. I thought perhaps it was added later. Here is a close up of the numbering. Thanks.

show_number1.jpg

show_number2.jpg

post-11502-1250733132_thumb.jpg

post-11502-1250733153_thumb.jpg

all the stamping fits the outline of the silver so was not added after the fact. IMHO

For a saddle maker, that's a very poor stamping of "1994" too deep, the stamp base shows.

Charlie

On a show saddle the silver corner plates should exactly match the stitching or edge of the skirts. What is the tree made of? Why do I suspect fiberglass?

The silhouette looks like a Crates

I purchased this show saddle used. It is numbered 1994. I don't think that is the year because of the style. Can anyone help me identify the maker? I have shown it to several tack dealers and they couldn't find a maker. All agreed it was a very well made saddle. I have more detailed photos. Thanks!

I don't know how long Dakota Saddlery has been in business, but that's definitely their fork, horn, double wide fenders, and pancake-flat seat cut. If the artificial fleece is really thin and cheap, that's another calling card. They're also fans of rather haphazardly placed Montana Silver for their 'show' and 'equitation' models. A lot of these low end semi-custom makers have virtually identical patterns, so it may have been in use by another company before Dakota, or been made as a private label saddle for someone else. A lot of those Chattanooga, TN/Alabama saddles are so similar it's practically incestuous.

I believe your saddle to be a Corriente Saddle from New Mexico. The guys out there make a good saddle (about 600 per year) under their own name and Showman and possibly others. The last one I bought had their cartuche only on the stirrup hobbles with no other markings.

Best I can do,