chouinardragon

Pricking,thonging,stitching Chisels

Hi,

There're so many kind of stitching chisels, I'm confused.

The CS Osborne have 3 kinds of chisels, thonging chisels,stitching chisels and pricking chisels.

Are they all made for making slits for lacing?? If yes, the slits they make are different, the thonging and stitching chisels make straight slits and the pricking chisels make oblique slits. What's the difference between these two slits while lacing? By the way, in Taiwan, we use another kind of chisels for making stitching slits, please see the attached pictures. I'm really confused. Anyone can help?

Thanks!

Chris

cso-thonging.GIF

cso-stitching.GIF

cso-pricking.jpg

dixon-pricking.jpg

Taiwan.jpg

post-11650-126883481911_thumb.gif

post-11650-126883483331_thumb.gif

post-11650-1268834847_thumb.jpg

post-11650-126883486264_thumb.jpg

post-11650-126883487646_thumb.jpg

Pricking irons mark the stitching holes you are going to make with an awl. They aren't made to penetrate the leather, just dent it. Thonging chisels (gang punches) make slots for lacing. The come in different sizes for various laces. A stitching chisel makes smaller holes and saves you having to use the awl. The last tool pic looks like it makes round holes.

Hope that helps.

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

That helps a lot! I finally realize what they made to use.

I probably will buy some Vergaz Blanchard's chisels, though they are expensive.

Thank you so much.

Chris

Pricking irons mark the stitching holes you are going to make with an awl. They aren't made to penetrate the leather, just dent it. Thonging chisels (gang punches) make slots for lacing. The come in different sizes for various laces. A stitching chisel makes smaller holes and saves you having to use the awl. The last tool pic looks like it makes round holes.

Hope that helps.

Johanna