HARVEY

Japanese Stamping Tools

Hi, All.

I recently purchased a very slick magazine -- The Leather Work III -- which is all in Japanese. (The cover has a tooled Indian skull wearing a bonnet - a war bonnet). I can't make heads or tails of the magazine itself, just superior photography. On pages 22- 23, labeled Stamp Tools Catalogue, there are some tools I like.

Has anyone ever ordered from Japan? If so, via who? Even though I had someone translate for me, that didn't help either in getting order/contact information. If anybody else has this magazine please PM me.

Thanks for the help, Everyone.

Harvey

Los Angeles

Hi Harvey,

Actually, I buy quite a bit from Japan, but I'm a dealer, so we can purchase in qty. That's really about the only way it's affordable, unless you want something reeeeaaaaaalllllly bad! But for what it's worth, if there is something that you like, and if it can be had from Craft Japan, I'd be happy to order it for you, and just pass it thru to you, as long as I can cover my cost.

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Hi Harvey,

Actually, I buy quite a bit from Japan, but I'm a dealer, so we can purchase in qty. That's really about the only way it's affordable, unless you want something reeeeaaaaaalllllly bad! But for what it's worth, if there is something that you like, and if it can be had from Craft Japan, I'd be happy to order it for you, and just pass it thru to you, as long as I can cover my cost.

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Kevin,

I've seen others refer to Craft Japan but don't know anything about them. Are they like Tandy's?

Bob

Harvey:

There is vol I and II, but I never really found a way to order it. I have two books in Japanese on their tooling and carving, but I can't read it either. The pictures are interesting.

As for ordering the tools, mr. Kevin is right. It is darn expensive unless you've got an in like he does. You can also try Lefty's in Japan, you can find his site at the Lonestart Leather Guild webpage. He happens to be a member.

Craft Japan are tools much like Craftools, but I believe they are a step up. I have some craft Japan tools and I get much better impressions and their equal Crafttools. Now, they are not Barry King or Ellis Barnes tools, but much better than crafttools.

During a visit with George, I believe he mentioned something about working with Craft Japan, but didn't get too much into the details. I will be attending Hurst's class this next weekend and I will ask about those tools and post later.

Good luck.

Are there and pics or impression sheets of what they make? Is this something that we all can get involved in and Kevin will step up and become then US supplier? :yes:

Hi, All.

I recently purchased a very slick magazine -- The Leather Work III -- which is all in Japanese. (The cover has a tooled Indian skull wearing a bonnet - a war bonnet). I can't make heads or tails of the magazine itself, just superior photography. On pages 22- 23, labeled Stamp Tools Catalogue, there are some tools I like.

Has anyone ever ordered from Japan? If so, via who? Even though I had someone translate for me, that didn't help either in getting order/contact information. If anybody else has this magazine please PM me.

Harvey

Los Angeles

harvey I seen that book how did you get it and where can I get one

Hi, All.

Harvey

Los Angeles

I have been trying to get that book wher did you get it

harvey I seen that book how did you get it and where can I get one

I have been trying to get that book wher did you get it

There's a Japanese bookstore named KINOKUNIYA in Costa Mesa, Calif. Phone # is 714-662-2474. This is a bookstore for Japanese readers and speakers. Some of the salespeople are totally bi-lingual, others leave a little to be desired. You can check with them if they still have that issue, or can order it for you. They have several other books on leather, too.

Their web address is: costa_mesa at kinokinuya dot com

Good hunting!

Harvey

Hi all dose anybody have the website address for craft japan I can't find it

Hi all dose anybody have the website address for craft japan I can't find it

Kevin Hopkins, Springfield Leather does sell some Craft Japan tools, as does Hidecrafter (or, did, anyway). Whether or not it would be cost efficient for them to order/carry tools they normally don't, well, that's another matter. For an individual to try to order direct, it probably wouldn't be cost effective- large minimum quantities per tool, shipping, Customs duties, etc, you name it...

I have bought some Japan tools from ST leather to a very good price (+10 stamps for $3.39 each if I remember correctly, as of September-09)

What I also like is that they have all these special stamps (celtic, and newer geometric, chainlinks etc) all sold one by one...Waaaaay better priced than other (no names) big suppliers:-)

http://stleather.com/2008-P25.html

http://stleather.com/2008-P24.html