Sign in to follow this  
pete

I want to make a checkbook with a calf or deerskin lining

I want to make a checkbook with a calf or deerskin lining. How do I edge and burnish the piece without messing up the lining?

I can't run an edger across it as it will fray the lining and if I edge the veg. then it looks funny to see only the outside edge edged. Should I edged and burnish the veg and then glue the lining in.

By the way, this is the first piece that I am going to sew. I have laced all other pieces so there was never a problem covering the edges.

Any help would be appreciated.

pea-aire'

I think the idea is to burnish the two pieces so they meld into one when looking at the edge so I would sew, edge then burnish until the edge looks to be one piece. I have not worked with linings so I could be completely off base on this.

If I were wanting to burnish the edges I would use veg calf skin to line the project as deer skin or any other crome tan will not burnish to the glass edge you would be wanting.

Thank you Randy, Just what I figured as I did some key fobs awhile back and did just that. I'm headed to Springfiled this weekend to get some 1-1/2 oz calf.

pea-aire'

Randy, is all deer skin chrome tanned? I thought it was veg or brain or some other fairly natural process due to the softness and such.