Tiara

Snake Skin Project, Decorating The Rim Of A Drum

Hi all,

I have a couple of frame drums that I want to decorate with whipsnake skin that is the color I want.

2 separate projects. 1 is making an 1.5 inch band that is removable to cover the area the skin is attached. The band that is there is plain black nylon and I'd like something brighter. The color of the wood frame is lovely and I don't want to cover it. I'm thinking velcro instead of ties but wondering if there is a way to use a thin double backed tape in case I want to remove it later. There is a neoprene band on the edge to control overtones, I'd be covering the portion that goes on to the frame. This would rest on my leg, not the same place each time so wear and tear wouldn't be a lot.

What sort of backing material would be good under whipsnake? And is there any sort of coating to apply to the surface to bring out shine and color as well as give a bit of protection?

The second drum has an unstained frame. I'm considering getting a 4" wide piece or pieces, I may go for alternating colors and covering the entire surface. Would this be better to glue on? if so what type of adhesive? And is that type something that could be taken off in case I needed to replace the skin if it becomes worn?

regards

Tiara

Hi all,

I have a couple of frame drums that I want to decorate with whipsnake skin that is the color I want.

2 separate projects. 1 is making an 1.5 inch band that is removable to cover the area the skin is attached. The band that is there is plain black nylon and I'd like something brighter. The color of the wood frame is lovely and I don't want to cover it. I'm thinking velcro instead of ties but wondering if there is a way to use a thin double backed tape in case I want to remove it later. There is a neoprene band on the edge to control overtones, I'd be covering the portion that goes on to the frame. This would rest on my leg, not the same place each time so wear and tear wouldn't be a lot.

What sort of backing material would be good under whipsnake? And is there any sort of coating to apply to the surface to bring out shine and color as well as give a bit of protection?

The second drum has an unstained frame. I'm considering getting a 4" wide piece or pieces, I may go for alternating colors and covering the entire surface. Would this be better to glue on? if so what type of adhesive? And is that type something that could be taken off in case I needed to replace the skin if it becomes worn?

regards

Tiara

Some pictures might help with visualizing the pieces you are describing. Then you'll probably get tons of answers in no time.

If there is any iron containing metal behind any of this, magnetic tape might hold it in place. The tape is not strong so some friction fit would help. Note to that the double sided tape used on magnetic tape dries out and falls off. So gluing the tape to the leather should last longer.

Tom

ok, I think I have the pix uploaded as attachments now.

the tie dye drum has a shallow rim, less than 4". I may want to put a skin directly on the wood frame. The drum with the white skin is the one I'm thinking of an 1.5 inch removable band. It would go where the tacks are in the pic. I don't want to cover the wood on this drum only the tie dye. If there is an adhesive that would easily let me remove a skin from the tie dye drum say with water or mild solvent that would be great. or backing both with some sort of leather or material that would have enough friction to keep from sliding off.

post-35604-0-58444800-1350260403_thumb.j

post-35604-0-27554200-1350260416_thumb.j

Edited by Tiara