Hello all - I'm working on another holster, but this time I hope to sell it to recoup some of my leather expenses and prepare for buying another hide. I'd like some input on how I could improve my next one, or even how to improve this one if it's not too late.

Sorry for the low quality photos - shot these with my phone on the way out the door this morning.

Is the burnished / darker area normal? I ran the holster under the faucet for a few seconds until all surfaces were wet, then sat it on the counter for about 10 minutes.

I still haven't figured out a good way to shape the trigger guard.

I think I can bring in the stitch lines a little closer to the gun - my previous attempt was much too tight.

I brushed on a coat of neatsfoot compound last night to the outer surfaces, and was planning on dying it tonight with Fiebings Saddle Tan Pro dye. Tandy didn't have Bag Kote, only Tan Kote. I asked the salesman if they had anything with a more dull finish than the Tan Kote, and he said Satin Sheen. I didn't think a water-based product would work over the oil dye and neatsfoot - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, can anyone offer any further advise on how to improve my hoslters?

I'm hoping to buy a sewing machine at some point in the very near future to speed the process up and start making and selling holsters for the guns I have in my collection.

741595043_vVw2Y-XL.jpg

741618240_EoUrF-XL-1.jpg

For reference, this is my previous attempt and what I'm hoping to make this one look like...

686440154_kyR5W-XL.jpg

particle, I can't give you any advice since I just finished my fifth holster myself. I would like to say that you sure have done wonders for just your fifth holster. It looks like you have found your calling. Great work, keep it up, it's good to see pictures of fine holsters. Larry

Thank you Larry - I certainly enjoy doing this, and hope to make a little money at it. My wife and I just had a baby, and my wife is staying home with this one, so we need to replace her income. Don't know if I'll have any luck at it, but it's sure fun trying! :)

Well, here it is thus far. I started out by airbrushing it with Fiebings Pro, but the area around the trigger and the bottom of the slide did not take dye well - it was too heavily burnished by the boning process, and the dye simply pooled up on the surface. I don't know if it's from the Tandy 'Oak Leaf' leather, or a boning effort gone bad... After rubbing it down with a dauber for a heavier coat (hoping to get penetration into the burnished area), I finally put it in a zip-top bag and poured in the dye to slosh it around for about two minutes. I still need to burnish the edges, and apply the final finishing coats, but overall I'm pretty happy with it thus far.

For those that have never used the Pro dyes, this stuff really is better than the regular stuff... Every time I go back to look at the holster, the dye seems to even out even more. The heavily burnished areas seem to be coloring better as the hours pass by. However, it does take much longer to dry. Several hours after dying it, the holster still has a very strong chemical odor.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I did burnish (with water) the edge of the reinforcement piece before I attached it to the holster - it's fraying as a result of me rubbing down the dyed holster to remove the excess on the surface. Not sure what's going on with the dye at the stitching around the reinforcement piece.

I was thinking of posting this on my state's CHL forum - anyone care to suggest a fair asking price? It's for a 1911 Commander 4.25" barrel.

742232120_UcH4X-XL.jpg

Edited by particle

When you bone the holster, you close the pores of the leather. This affects the holster's ability to absorb dye. Because part of the pores are closed and part of them are unscathed, the leather absorbs dye at different rates depending on where the boning is. Concerning the pattern around your stitching, sometimes the leather stretches when you punch the stitch holes which also closes the pores. It is more prominent on the throat piece because it is stitched on flat and stretches even more as the holster is shaped. You can alleviate the pattern somewhat if you make sure your awl is sharp and wax the tip before you punch your holes. The pattern probably wouldn't occur as much with a higher quality leather that absorbs more easily.

I personally dye my leather before I stitch or shape the holster so I don't have to worry about these issues. I recommend you try it once or twice and see how it works for you.

Particle: I have to agree with Boomstick. I always dye my leather prior to assembly, then oil and let dry. I do very little boneing, mainly just work the cased leather by hand after assembly and prior to finishing, but I also allmost always use two layers of leather in my holsters, that way there is a smooth inside to them . Mike

Edited by katsass

Particle: I have to agree with Boomstick. I always dye my leather prior to assembly, then oil and let dry. I do very little boneing, mainly just work the cased leather by hand after assembly and prior to finishing, but I also allmost always use two layers of leather in my holsters, that way there is a smooth inside to them . Mike

Hey Boomstick, when do you heat the leather in an overn to stiffen it? Before you dye or after?

Hey Boomstick, when do you heat the leather in an overn to stiffen it? Before you dye or after?

Let me be clear that you shouldn't just stick the leather in the oven to stiffen it. The faster that water evaporates from damp leather, the more tannins that are brought to the surface. Since the tannins are what keeps the leather flexible, removing a percentage of them makes the leather stiffer (the state that it would be in if it had no tannins keeping it supple and flexible, kind of like rawhide). Putting a dry holster in the oven can also certainly make it stiffer, but it will also severely shorten the holster'sservice life (because the fibers will be much more brittle, and therefore more likely to tear and eventually make the holster soft or even rip apart).

I forgot to answer your question - I go about construction in this order:

Trace and cut the pattern.

Dye the individual pieces.

Bevel and finish the single thickness edges.

Mark the stitch lines.

Rough up and glue the necessary areas.

Stitch the holster.

Wet the holster and insert the pistol, then let it set until it looks almost dry but is damp to the touch.

Press the holster with rubber to expose the lines.

Bone the areas that need to be close, and relieve the areas that need more room.

Pull the pistol out and put the holster in the oven on 115 to 120 degrees for 45 minutes.

Pull the holster out and set it in front of a fan to finish drying.

Sand, bevel, and finish the double thickness edges.

Dress up anything that needs it.

Apply acrylic and let it dry in front of a fan over night, or at least several hours.

I forgot to answer your question - I go about construction in this order:

Trace and cut the pattern.

Dye the individual pieces.

Bevel and finish the single thickness edges.

Mark the stitch lines.

Rough up and glue the necessary areas.

Stitch the holster.

Wet the holster and insert the pistol, then let it set until it looks almost dry but is damp to the touch.

Press the holster with rubber to expose the lines.

Bone the areas that need to be close, and relieve the areas that need more room.

Pull the pistol out and put the holster in the oven on 115 to 120 degrees for 45 minutes.

Pull the holster out and set it in front of a fan to finish drying.

Sand, bevel, and finish the double thickness edges.

Dress up anything that needs it.

Apply acrylic and let it dry in front of a fan over night, or at least several hours.

Thanks so much I will modify my methods.

Well, here it is. What do you all think? I would love to see some good video(s) of someone boning their holster. I've seen the tucker videos, but they're not very high quality. Good info though.

On my next holster, I would like to line it, and dye it before assembly. Hopefully I can get a stitcher soon... I'd also like to get more defined details in the boning.

743720292_cvK3g-L.jpg

743720798_aJGR4-L.jpg

743721243_tsTQK-L.jpg

743721696_624hv-L.jpg

743716933_2hhoL-L.jpg

743722250_3W9ij-L.jpg

743717415_BUcLP-L.jpg

743719804_FBMjZ-L.jpg

That looks great to me. My Dan Wesson CBOB would be proud to ride in that (that's a hint by the way innocent.gif )

Bronson

Well Done Sir! (Nice 1911 too!)

Nice looking holster and great cbob!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! This is the first time I've used resolene on a holster. How long does it normally take for the resolene to fully cure, and the 'tacky', 'grippy' feeling to go away? Or do you normally have to rub a little talcum powder on it to get rid of the 'squeaky clean' feeling?

Well, I took some advice and decided to dye the leather prior to assembly. I'm not really sure which way I prefer. The leather didn't end up as even as my previous version, as once the leather stretched after I inserted the gun, the stretched areas became considerably lighter in color. However, it did make the leather a little more resistant to damage from fingernails and stray tool marks... :censored2: Plus, I kinda like the mottled, rustic look, as opposed to the perfectly even dye jobs. Decisions, decisions.

I sold the holster at the beginning of this thread within about 24 hours via my CHL message board. Then, I posted pictures of that same holster on the 1911Forum and already have at LEAST a dozen interested people. LOL - I was afraid to post on the 1911Forum because I knew there was such a large audience and potential for sales, but I did it anyway, and I'm glad I did. Looks like I'll be buying a machine sooner rather than later.

Now I just have to figure out just how to market these things. I hate to become just another holster maker that's backed up for months on end, but I guess that's not such a bad thing... I always hoped to make one at a time, and post them as I make them on message boards, that way people could see pictures (like below) of exactly what they're buying.

On a side note, anyone know what that spot is on the leather on the front side above the slide, just below the reinforcement piece? Before I dyed the leather, it was a lighter color. After I dyed it, it got much darker than the surrounding area.

750827645_2ZvYm-L.jpg

750828296_nko8Y-L.jpg

750828803_5bBzc-L.jpg

750829282_j9Sj6-L.jpg

750829819_wZKAe-L.jpg

750830415_V9rqb-L.jpg

750831017_pfBZ2-L.jpg

750831615_7m8pb-L.jpg

750832259_uAKdb-L.jpg

750832675_RJ9ai-L.jpg

750833224_mnzFf-L.jpg

750833814_88E8B-L.jpg

750837926_aAroB-L.jpg

On a side note, anyone know what that spot is on the leather on the front side above the slide, just below the reinforcement piece?

That is what my bladesmith friend would call a "subtle variation in the hand-crafted product." whistle.gif

Bronson

Hello all - I'm working on another holster, but this time I hope to sell it to recoup some of my leather expenses and prepare for buying another hide. I'd like some input on how I could improve my next one, or even how to improve this one if it's not too late.

Sorry for the low quality photos - shot these with my phone on the way out the door this morning.

Is the burnished / darker area normal? I ran the holster under the faucet for a few seconds until all surfaces were wet, then sat it on the counter for about 10 minutes.

I still haven't figured out a good way to shape the trigger guard.

I think I can bring in the stitch lines a little closer to the gun - my previous attempt was much too tight.

I brushed on a coat of neatsfoot compound last night to the outer surfaces, and was planning on dying it tonight with Fiebings Saddle Tan Pro dye. Tandy didn't have Bag Kote, only Tan Kote. I asked the salesman if they had anything with a more dull finish than the Tan Kote, and he said Satin Sheen. I didn't think a water-based product would work over the oil dye and neatsfoot - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, can anyone offer any further advise on how to improve my hoslters?

I'm hoping to buy a sewing machine at some point in the very near future to speed the process up and start making and selling holsters for the guns I have in my collection.

741595043_vVw2Y-XL.jpg

741618240_EoUrF-XL-1.jpg

For reference, this is my previous attempt and what I'm hoping to make this one look like...

686440154_kyR5W-XL.jpg

I know this is an old posting but In the finished picture above, what stain color did end up using?

If memory serves, that was airbrushed with Fiebing's Saddle Tan.