Hello all, I am somewhat new here. I have been building sheaths for my custom knives for about a year now but I want to progress.

I am looking at building a holster for my Ruger single six and was just wondering if there are any good patterns for this gun around?

I do have an old holster I could copy but looking at other styles. I want a western holster.

The one I have now has a welt/spacer, Is that normal or it is better to not use one when looking for a tight fit?

Also what are the best options for a retention strap with out using snaps? I carry the revolver when trapping so I need to know it will stay in the holster.

Also is a lining material needed? what would be the best liner, Pig, deer, ect?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hello all, I am somewhat new here. I have been building sheaths for my custom knives for about a year now but I want to progress.

I am looking at building a holster for my Ruger single six and was just wondering if there are any good patterns for this gun around?

I do have an old holster I could copy but looking at other styles. I want a western holster.

The one I have now has a welt/spacer, Is that normal or it is better to not use one when looking for a tight fit?

Also what are the best options for a retention strap with out using snaps? I carry the revolver when trapping so I need to know it will stay in the holster.

There's a pattern and guide to western-style holsters in the sticky called "Western Holster Tutorial." It's excellent. If you want more info, check out John Bianchi's DVDs.

Welts are common on holsters for revolvers, especially those that wrap around, like the traditional western designs. The welt helps keep the gun properly centered in the holster, and helps insure an easy draw and reholster. Depending on the weight of the leather, a lining isn't necessary. You probably want to end up with about 10 ounces of leather in the finished holster, so if you're using 7/8 for the body, you could use 2/3 for the lining. Plain old veg-tan is fine for the lining as well as the body.

On a western-style holster, a thong is traditionally used to secure the gun.

tk

FWIW from the old grumpy guy; My first suggestion for anyone wanting to build holsters ---get the book by Al Stohlman on "How To Make Holsters". It's about $10/$12, depending on where you get it. It'll answer most all of your questions, and some you didn't know you had. Mine is over 50 years old, and I still look at it now and then. I think it even has a pattern for a Ruger Single Six in it --- western style. I use a welt now and then, but don't think one is generally necessary for your Ruger. For retention you can use a stud (like older military rigs) and strap, or even a simple thong set up. As to lining, that's a personal decision, just don't use any suede type stuff. A smooth lining is best IMO. I build almost all of my holsters from two layers of lighter leather than is generally used --- for various reasons --- so most all of my stuff comes out (in essence) lined. Here's a pic of an embellished 'Threeperson" style holster that is using a thong for security. Mike

005-3.jpg

I highly recommend Will Ghormley's patterns, you can get them at the Tandy store too. There's several styles to choose from.

http://www.willghorm...er.com/owc.html

It's what I used to make my Single Six rig....also, you ask if a lining is needed? I would say no.

IMG_9815.jpg

Edited by Rayban