Sign in to follow this  
andyb

Any Tips On Repairing Gloves? Is It Worth It?

I saw there was a recent post on sewing a pair of gloves, and didn't want to drag that thread off topic. I have a pair of heavy work gloves (I'll get a pic posted tomorrow). The thumbs and middle finger tips are worn through, and that is pretty much what happens to all my pairs of gloves. I hate to throw them away because the rest is still in excellent shape. It LOOKS like I could do a repair, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever bothered to do this, or just tosses gloves missing a finger tip away.

I was thinking of taking some 4-5oz chrome-tanned leather, using contact cement to put a patch on the finger tip (the top half of the front of the finger), and then sewing it on to the old seam using the existing stitch holes. My other option would be to just attempt to replace the entire front of the finger. I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I have the leather and supplies to sew it, so all it would cost me is my time, if it is even possible to do. I do not have a specialty sewing machine for sewing leather gloves (though I'm sure one exists out there).

Here's what gloves they are, #290, 4.5" gauntlet.

http://www.kunzglove.com/products/lineman.asp

Andy B.

As a sandblaster in the real world, I know what you mean about the middle finger wearing out, it is a pain.

Myself, I just purchase packs of welding gloves at a discounted price about $4.00 a pair. If you have the leather, time and materials, I see no reason as to why you couldn't just sew a patch on, but this may make the middle finger a bit uncomfortable, kinds like putting duct tape on it until the end of the day.

If it were me, I would take the finger off past the knuckle and make a new tip from that point. I would find the patch to be irritating, especially in the middle of my grip.

I would remove the piece with the hole worn through so you don't have the loose edge or bulk getting in your road. Might be worthwhile to use one pair of gloves as parts for others. Palms and backs can be cut to whatever shapes you need.

Good project for sitting watching TV.

Tom