wildrose

music while you work?

I was just listening to one of my favorite musicians, Tiziano Ferro, on his cd Ciento Once 111. He has the most incredible voice! As a Spanish major, I've found myself buying alot of music in that line, but I also like country and Celtic music. I've been known to enjoy Yanni and Kitaro too. So what do you like? Or do you not even listen to anything while you work?

Depends on mood. Most often I like it silent but when there are kids flying around like crazy monkeys I usually put on black/death metal, really fast and frenetic stuff but if I'm alone or late at night I usually go with progressive metal since it's a very higly constructive genre wich rubs off on me and I get better result but most often I use nothing. I love prog metal when it has a distinct connection to Deep purple and Pink floyd but also like Swedish band Opeth that has alot of brutal outragous death metal mixed up with the most beautiful and very calm music, lot of pianos and sorrowful moods that draws you in.

I'm the type that have a hard time having music in the background, just can't stop myself from getting too engaged in what's going on with it and that's not good when doing some intricate carving.

I have a musical ear so I often get involved in thinking about composition and stuff, figuring out how they do certain drumfills and stuff.

Like to add something about music from a personal perspective. A good piece of music can not be achieved in the 3 ½ minute radio standard so chuck the radio.

Tom

Depends on the mood and what I am tooling.

Deep beveling - Metal, Tchaikovsky - 1812 overture, other classical pieces , tracks from the Disney movie Fantasia (both)

needing a soft touch- Native American Flute music

general tooling - rock: hard, metal, oldies, alternative, grunge, a little bit of country new or old

Oh..and I like to keep a little bowl with candy (jelly stuff) handy when working. Don't eat much of it, just feels good to know it's there.

Tom

Mostly Metal, sometimes old country and even 50's music, I like to paint to heavy metal though, I think it adds some darkness to my painting.............

I love guitar music, so I often listen to the public radio station in Australia. They have a program called "FretNet" that you can listen to over the internet. There's a FretNet website where I can pick out the program and play it.

When things are really rough - I am facing a lot of deadlines, have to stay up till 1 AM working etc. there is nothing better for me than listening to "Weird Al" Yankovic. He is so funny I end up laughing and enjoying myself when I should be miserable because I am working so hard.

Pink Floyd

Charlie Daniels

ZZ Top

Bach organ Music (E Power Biggs at the box)

Various and sundry Hair Bands

Laura Fabian (live performances only)

Pavarotti (occasionally)

Ace of Bass

I'm really open to anything EXCEPT

The Beatles (I have just been Beatled out)

James Taylor

Tiny Tim

And Never, Never, Never, ABBA, No no no no no no ABBA no no Never.

And it has to be loud, like if I can hear you talking or yelling, it ain't loud enough, no earphones or those dorky little earbuds, I want speakers and kilowatts. No Boze or Klipsch, I want Mackie, Phonic, Sampson, or QSC.

Well Holly, you asked.

Art

I was just listening to one of my favorite musicians, Tiziano Ferro, on his cd Ciento Once 111. He has the most incredible voice! As a Spanish major, I've found myself buying alot of music in that line, but I also like country and Celtic music. I've been known to enjoy Yanni and Kitaro too. So what do you like? Or do you not even listen to anything while you work?

Tiziano Ferro definitely has a unique voice. (I picked up Mi Credo in my last iTunes mix.) It's interesting how many of the Italian stars cross over to the Spanish-language market, like Tizano, Eros Ramazzotti and Laura Pausini.

I tend to lean Latin in my musical tastes, too. Lately I've been listening to pop/rock like Playa Limbo (Canciones de Hotel) and Sí Señor (La Nueva Estrella del Rock).

I listen to audio books. I love to read and never have enough time to read everything I want to. I use the library - so the books are free - and have a very eclectic listening list.

Kathy

Most of the time, i'm listening medieval music and plug myself on the radio rivendell: http://www.radiorivendell.com/

This Net station is free and play video games, film, and medieval folks group. Truly a nice place to discover medieval and medieval fantasy music genre.

Aubergiste, À boire! :cheers:

(Innkeeper, i need a drink)

Good topic! Can't wait to see all the responses.

Depends on mood -Radio (Country or Classic Rock) then everything from

Loreena McKennitt to classical piano, throw in a dash of Queensryche and Sass Jordon. Sprinkle with a bit of Queen, AC/DC, Evanescence, Martina McBride, Shakira, Pink and good ole 80's glam rock. Gotta love the 70's, too. Can't forget the Eagles and Elton John. Right now I seem to be on a Nickelback and Foo Fighter's kick. (Don't know where that came from. Yes I do - saw their videos on YouTube.)

Crystal

Hi Y'all

As I most of my work is Sheridan - Western type stuff, I like to listen to Scott Joplin rags, Gene Autry, Sons of the Pionners and my new favorite is a CD of western movie theme tunes - Magnificent Seven, Stagecoach, How the West was Won, High Plains Drifter and the like.

It probably sounds sad but it makes my swivel knife swivel.

Regards

Alan

Picture_012.jpglove the music......this week i have been listening to the Rolling Stones."Bridges to Babylon tour'

and A Bigger Bang tour. tomorrow , it might be Southern Rock, I do have a large library.

post-1906-1209502693_thumb.jpg

I don't generally like the new stuff, but I have a group called "3 doors down" in the machine and they are a little light for me but really good. Some of son's music I can get, but "Pantera" totally loses me, I don't know if it's heavy metal or nuclear metal, guitar solos were great though.

Art

Picture_012.jpglove the music......this week i have been listening to the Rolling Stones."Bridges to Babylon tour'

and A Bigger Bang tour. tomorrow , it might be Southern Rock, I do have a large library.

I didn't know 8-track still existed!

ed

Luke you gotta get out more.....they now have music on CD's and even these little things called MP3 players...LOL Do those 8 tracks still work?

Myself. I like the quite solitude of the hammer hitting the tool, or when I'm lacing, the quite gives me time to think and wonder what else to do. Kinda gave up music many years ago for some unknown lost reason.

Ken

Sometimes nothing. Right now the CD thats in the player is "The Threetles", Three friends of mine that play Beatles covers. They're really good and I like hearing a different take on the songs. I have a few cds of local bands from when I was younger.

Of course I throw in Sabbath, Maiden and I've really been digging on Deep Purple lately, for some reason. Bob Marley, JohnnyCash and even Eddie Cochran at times. I guess anything listenable........

When stitching or lacing, I come up and watch TV.

Luke you gotta get out more.....they now have music on CD's and even these little things called MP3 players...LOL Do those 8 tracks still work?

Myself. I like the quite solitude of the hammer hitting the tool, or when I'm lacing, the quite gives me time to think and wonder what else to do. Kinda gave up music many years ago for some unknown lost reason.

Ken

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Sometimes nothing. Right now the CD thats in the player is "The Threetles", Three friends of mine that play Beatles covers. They're really good and I like hearing a different take on the songs. I have a few cds of local bands from when I was younger.

Of course I throw in Sabbath, Maiden and I've really been digging on Deep Purple lately, for some reason. Bob Marley, JohnnyCash and even Eddie Cochran at times. I guess anything listenable........

When stitching or lacing, I come up and watch TV.

Lacing sure is tv time, I just passed thru three Discovery shows but music DVDs and creepy films are high on the ranks too.

Tom

I'm not a big classical music buff, but I stumbled into realizing that Gustav Mahler really helps me get work done. I get into a trance and can just stitch, wax, buff, cut, measure, bevel, edge, burnish, rivet all day and into the wee hours and then sleep the sleep of sleeps. I also like listening to audio books.

Ed

Hi Y'all

As I most of my work is Sheridan - Western type stuff, I like to listen to Scott Joplin rags, Gene Autry, Sons of the Pionners and my new favorite is a CD of western movie theme tunes - Magnificent Seven, Stagecoach, How the West was Won, High Plains Drifter and the like.

It probably sounds sad but it makes my swivel knife swivel.

Regards

Alan

I usually listen to Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Slim Whitman, Willie Nelson or similar. These go all day in my workshop as I have about 40 hours on computer media player. They just play in shuffle mode, much better than the days when one had to change the tapes every 30 minutes! I run it through amp and big stereo speakers so it is great!. They that music soothes the savage beast.

Tony

Grateful Dead (all of it) , Janis (Pearl), Jefferson Airplane, Nitty Gritty DB (Will the circle be unbroken), Norah Jones, Cheryl Crow, Waylon, Willie, Procol Harum, Mamas & Pappas, All Kinds of blues from E. Clapton to R. Johnson, Cash, Zep, CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell. And many many more all on shuffle and repeat. I forgot my newest Etta Baker with Taj Mahal great acoustic stuff!

Wow Jordan, Taj Mahal, now that takes me back to a time i have a hard time remembering.

Ken

Of course the 8 tracks still work... they're practically indestructible.

I like anything that has a good solid rhytm. I really like Garbage, but not because of the music, but because it's pretty easy to tune out. It settles into white noise pretty well. I do my best work when the left side of the brain is preoccupied.

I listen to a lot of Native Amer. flute and drums,also Japanese flute and drums.No words,just background music.I also make knives so when I've got the forge going I'll put on the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian or Last of the Mohicans.Good stuff.Moon