Hello,

I've been reading the threads around here, but I am still having trouble putting together a procedure that I can tell will work. I am making a leather hat (veg tan leather so far); I have no airbrush. Here is what I thought of doing. I am very much nOOb. Very much. So, please point out any mistakes I made!

1. clean hat with alcohol (90+% isopropyl or denatured)

2. while still damp, apply oil-based dye

3. let dry

4. apply some more oil-based dye

4. let dry

5. apply water stain dye on top (does not penetrate as well as oil, but is colorfast and such)

6. let dry

7. apply conditioner (something that's not mink oil so that it does not soften the leather). "Leather Honey Leather Conditioner" looks good on amazon. I already have Obenauf's leather oil; will it do the same thing?

8. Finally seal. I am a little unclear on what to do here since the hat will need to survive lots of sun, and potentially some rain. So far I was thinking 50/50 resolene, but maybe I should consider something else?

I plan to apply the dyes and final seal with either a sponge, foam, or wool dauber from tandy.

i went to Tandy, the manager there told me I was crazy to use these dyes together (in a friendly way :) ) and just told me to use their european something or other waterstain. So, my procedure ended up being something like

1. clean.

3. let dry

5. apply waterstain dye (I did two coats)

6. buff quite a bit, but with just a white cloth. Nothing fancy.

7. conditioner (I used carnuba sold @tandy upon the recommendation at the store, but I probably could have used neatsfoot oil and/or obenauf's. I feel like i was too worried about all of this, and should not have been)

8. seal (resolene). Spong covered with cloth applicator (they sell them

My hat has not made it into the shower, but I sweated in it (it went to the desert for a week), and there was practically 0 rub off.

here is a quick picture I took

https://plus.google.com/photos/106927068787680138238/albums/5921341378960278113/5921341384776924450?pid=5921341384776924450&oid=106927068787680138238

I know a couple of cowboys that would love to have that hat. That is cool. And the work is good also.

i went to Tandy, the manager there told me I was crazy to use these dyes together (in a friendly way :) ) and just told me to use their european something or other waterstain.

Well, many here including myself would say you're crazy to use their "waterdye/stain". These things is nothing else in my book but deluted acrylic paint to explain it simply. These "dyes" do not penetrate the leather, just sits on the surface and it really does not look that good either.

You can use Fiebing's oil dye or Angelus spirit dye (and put a coat of neatsfoot oil after). These procucts will penetrate deeply into the leather, not just sit on the top of it, you will still be seeing the beautiful natural grain and surface of the leather (if it's not to dark of course). Good Luck with your project B)

Edited by Tina

Thank you Red Cent!

Tina, I think the point he was making was that you use one or the other. He did say that oil based dyes are better.

That said, this waterstain thing did the job, and I am enjoying my hat. No idea if and when it will come off....