howardb

Nanette wallet kit? -- Tandy??

I have a ladies wallet insert. The baggie said "Nannette". No instructions nothing pre-punched, just a sewn up interior. Anyone got a clue on this? It was out of Monte's stuff and I can't ask him without a seance...

Biggest question - one of the edges has been rolled over and sewn, like it COULD be left open. Monte did one of these and laced it all the way around, which covered the sewn edge.

If I want to sew it, what do I do with the pre-sewn edge? Can I line it and leave that edge open (like a mens wallet)? How would one add lining against an already sewn edge? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Brent

I have a ladies wallet insert. The baggie said "Nannette". No instructions nothing pre-punched, just a sewn up interior. Anyone got a clue on this? It was out of Monte's stuff and I can't ask him without a seance...

Biggest question - one of the edges has been rolled over and sewn, like it COULD be left open. Monte did one of these and laced it all the way around, which covered the sewn edge.

If I want to sew it, what do I do with the pre-sewn edge? Can I line it and leave that edge open (like a mens wallet)? How would one add lining against an already sewn edge? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Brent

Brent,

Wanna see pictures! Maybe can help. Don't remember a Nannette but a visual might help us older folks remember.

Indy :cheers:

i know i probably have that assembly sheet somewhere in my piles of patterns. when im at shop ill look tomarrow. i remember doing that kit so im sure i have the sheet somewhere.

Thanks guys. I will post a couple of pics tonight when I get home.

Brent

nanette_purse.jpg heres what it looks like finished. if you have a tandy near by they still sell the kit. im still looking for it in my stuff. lol 30 yrs of patterns i know its here somewhere lol.

post-5091-1204755761_thumb.jpg

Brent

Does it look like this? And does it have a snap coin pocket in the center? I have a craftaid that shows how to make it from scratch. I also have a completed one in my lap as I type.

The insert kit includes a thin strip to reinforce the top of the back. (Like some wallet kits.

The interior with the outer pockets and inner coin purse is stitched or laced along the 3 unfinished sides. Your backing should extend 3/8" higher than the insert. This gives you a pocket like a wallet. The sewn edge is the insert top and is not sewn or laced.

I hope this is clear.

Mike

rose5c_160x250.jpg

That's really pretty, Mike. I like the pink & yellow roses and the quilting on the bend. Sounds like all you need is the carving piece, Brent. Take a good look at the change purse before you do too much work. Tandy had some trouble with them breaking in the late 90s, if I remember correctly.

Johanna

Sounds like a few have heard of it (Mike - gorgeous carving!), but I'm putting up a couple pictures of exactly what I have just to be sure.

Bronc - if you find it let me know! I need to know what my assembly options are.

Mike - no other parts - just this.

Johanna - thanks for the heads up, it looks pretty solid right now. The coin purse is lined with a white faux leather of some sort and seems reasonably strong at the hardware for now.

100_5269a.jpg

100_5270a.jpg

post-5266-1204773403_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1204773412_thumb.jpg

The only other piece you need is a back. Snap the insert closed and then wrap a piece of leather around it from edge to edge to get your width. Measure the height and add 3/8". (My back was 7.25" by 4.75") Carve and line your back. When laid flat, the back will be a bit wider than the insert. That's what you want in order to close it. Glue the non-stitched edges of the insert to the back. (The pockets should open to the top.) Punch holes for lacing or stitching and finish it. A note on stitching/lacing. The back is wider than the insert. You will not stitch the insert at the center bottom where is splits. This is similar to some wallet kits. Leave about 3/4" of the bottom edge un-glued at the center fold. Do test fittings to make sure you know how it goes together.

If you want to try one from scratch, look for Craftaid No. 4080 (Lady). It details a Jiffy purse which is about the same size.

I hope this helps. The nanette is an easy kit to build.

Mike

Edited by Mike

DSCN3651.JPGDSCN3652.JPGHoward,

Mike is right, but you might also want to line the back after tooling. Here is one I just finished for my grandchild,hope the photos help.

post-3080-1204818885_thumb.jpg

post-3080-1204818902_thumb.jpg

Hope these photos help.

Just follow Mikes instructions,he is spot on with the building of the purse.

Mike, Craftsman,

Thanks! This will definitely get me started, at least I can cut me a hunk-O-leather to start it with.

Craftsman - sweet rose carving by the way. I always end up over-tooling mine and this one is simple, yet very nice! I will have to try that sometime.

Mike - extra thanks for walking me through it. I have a huge box of craftaids and I will definitely paw through them and see if I have that one.

Bronco- If you can still lay your hands on one of the instruction sheets, great, I would love to have it. If not, I think I have enough info to complete it now. Thanks for your efforts!

Hopefully it will soon be in the show off section!

Brent