We have an old saddle that's been laying around for year. I used to ride it as a kid. It's in such poor shape now that I was thinking of remaking is with all new leather. The tree looks like it's not in the best shape. There is some gaps in the stitching maybe about 1/8". Could I just re shellac it and call it good? Or is that just putting a bandage on the wound?

I would think a bandage pretty well sums it up. It may not fit today's horses, if the lacing has gapped that much the tree may be twisted. I would clean it up and maybe restore it as a childhood keepsake. I have my great grandfather's saddle in the living room. It is the first saddle I probably ever rode, for sure the first one I was been bucked out of, and my touchstone to a guy who was one of my heros.

I would think a bandage pretty well sums it up. It may not fit today's horses, if the lacing has gapped that much the tree may be twisted. I would clean it up and maybe restore it as a childhood keepsake. I have my great grandfather's saddle in the living room. It is the first saddle I probably ever rode, for sure the first one I was been bucked out of, and my touchstone to a guy who was one of my heros.

Thanks Bruce for sharing. Saddles are definitely something to be passed down and cherished. They contain a certain essence of the person who owned them.

Most of the saddles I have restored have been in memory of grandparents or parents or to ready them for being passed along to kids. I like how you both said it - they contain a certain essence of the person who owned them, a touchstone to someone who is no longer here. I would say they contain a certain essence of the maker as well. I view it as a privilege to restore these saddles.

Especially if you are restoring this for yourself, and you know you won't be riding it, you may be able to restore the leather. I love the Preservation Solution products. They do an amazing job. Anybody else here use them?

Sometimes my customers come in telling me they won't ever be riding this saddle again, it's just for display, but when they see the finished product they immediately start talking about riding it. It makes me smile.

Ann

Thanks Bruce for sharing. Saddles are definitely something to be passed down and cherished. They contain a certain essence of the person who owned them.