Sign in to follow this  
troy

Crowning Plus One Piece Rawhide Sheath

finally found a use for the new fid knothead gave me ......ages ago it seems.

been playing again with rope metal and rawhide (altho leather could also be used)and made a sort of knife;

as you can see below the braid or rope work is just continous crowns with a few diamond knots, a 10 x star knot and finished with a scobie hitch (rons name) - did try a variety of reversed crowns etc to add some zest plus to try and evenm up the braid to keep in with the curve of the handle.

post-182-013011400 1282315824_thumb.jpg

piccy of whole knife

post-182-003152600 1282315904_thumb.jpg

piccy of knife in sheath

post-182-064287800 1282315883_thumb.jpg

I hate sewing, despise it with red hot hate - thus keep trying to come up with ways to not do it - hence this sheath;

Have used rawhide but leather could be used as well, managed to cut the pattern from one piece of rawhide including the short lace bit for the lacing with (obvious duh!!!!!), for the belt loop I just cut as shown and thread it in.

post-182-068628100 1282315920_thumb.jpg

post-182-017172900 1282315948_thumb.jpg

sooo, whats the census - weird, stupid or kinda onto a very clever thing here!!!

Paul

Nice work Paul. Nice to hear you're finally getting to use that fid.

Brian...

troy gotta tell you that i dable in knife making abit and the blade is nice as far as the handle its really good i think its practical and decorative the sheath it a little rough but the idea is good nice job over all props !!

cheers for the comms

Glad you liked the knife lilpep, the design came from an idea for a gurhka type style after some recent fund raising but in general the whole thing was just made so I could try out the handle and sheath idea's - the metal is only 3mm diameter and not the usual 5 - 6mm I use so the edge detail is not as good as it could be.

I used my angle grinder to cut out the shape - something I thought I might not of been able to do especially around the concave parts so that saves a fortune on specilalised equipement for future try outs.

Paul