rdb

Interesting "vinegaroon" experiment

I love my black vinegaroon so much, I want to try and get some browns. They say walnut shells work real good, but all I have available in my yard is these shells . I think they are Hickory. Anyways, I filled a bucket with them and some white vinegar, and let them set for a week. I dunked some leather in for this keycase, but it was a very faint color change.

Maybe I didn't let it brew long enough, I don't know yet. But I left the keycase blank in the brew overnight, let it dry out, and oiled it up. This is the color I got. I kinda like it. If the color in the pictures come out alright, maybe you can tell me what you think.

leather_003__Large_.jpg

leather_004__Large_.jpg

post-5140-1224177004_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1224177017_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdb

Not bad!!

I plan to try a vinegaroon sample soon. I have some items I have to get done first before I can play around. But vinegar is on the shopping list....heheh

cal

Nice! I have vinegaroon brewing in the kitchen; I need to strain it and try it out.

rdb..........nice looking Brown............

I agree with Luke. Nice job.

Think it looks great. Not sure how some projects would like having to sit over night in the vinager. I love my black though as it is so easy to just dunk it for a couple minutes and rinse and your good to go. Plus other dies when done over vinegaroon tend to make a very weird effect that is really cool looking depending on the leather and project.

Is the walnut suppose to change the color to brown or black? I think you can get crushed walnut shell at pet shops on occasion.

For all you experimenters out there, this didn't work out to well. After a few days of drying the color faded to a greyish tone. Hickory and vinegar no make a the go.

I'll have to try getting the walnut shells at the pet store?

If anyone has links to homemade dyes especially the browns let me know. I thought Chuck B once left some links, but i haven;t found them again yet.