Gawdzilla

Mouse Pad Do's And Don'ts?

Any tips, warnings, suggestions or facepalms? Best size?

It is on my list of things to do for an upcoming birthday present. I just took my nice leather covered mouse pad given to me many years ago from an office supply store ( I think?). I used the circumference to provide me with a basic exterior design. I have researched on Google for mouse pads and unique mouse pads and gathered several ideas from them. Since I am into floral carving, I am sure that I will surround it with some type of flowers and vines and maybe some leaves as well.

I will either use a higher ounce leather for stability or a lower ounce with a cardboard interface to make it rigid. I will probably then glue some type of suede to the bottom and stitch it. Real simple.

Good luck

I have some 4/5 oz leather that I just laid on the counter top, I don't have a desk. It is fairly soft, and drapes over the edge. Size is approx 6x16 on the top surface (the amount hanging over the edge is 4"-5")

Optical mice might do ok on a textured surface, but I would think that a ball mouse might be jerky on a heavily tooled surface.

Thanks for the replies! I agree a heavily tooled surface is a bad idea for a ball mouse.

We are discussing doing pads with the center's logo tooled in as "presentation items" for VIPs. Everybody will know they're not practical, but that's not the point in that kind of thing is it? I would have loved to have one ready for Ted Turner when he came by in November.

Thanks for the replies! I agree a heavily tooled surface is a bad idea for a ball mouse.

We are discussing doing pads with the center's logo tooled in as "presentation items" for VIPs. Everybody will know they're not practical, but that's not the point in that kind of thing is it? I would have loved to have one ready for Ted Turner when he came by in November.

All of the mice we use now are optical. They don't seem to be as "persnickity" as the first ones were.

That said: Why don't you place a logo to one corner or off to the side? You are definitely going to need a decent flat, unobstructed area for the mouse.

A carved area under the mouse is going to obstruct the entire idea of an optical mouse and I agree, don't bother with a non-optical unit.

Just my .02

ferg

All of the mice we use now are optical. They don't seem to be as "persnickity" as the first ones were.

That said: Why don't you place a logo to one corner or off to the side? You are definitely going to need a decent flat, unobstructed area for the mouse.

A carved area under the mouse is going to obstruct the entire idea of an optical mouse and I agree, don't bother with a non-optical unit.

Just my .02

ferg

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily, the logo is largely an oval, so it can go at an extra bit of leather at the top. You can see it here.

As an IT guy, I'll be honest: unless your desk has a glass top, no one needs a mouse pad now.

As an IT guy, I'll be honest: unless your desk has a glass top, no one needs a mouse pad now.

Very true, and I use at track ball whenever I can. But the point is more to give people reasons to donate to the Center than any actual need. They are looking for an excuse to take something home with them after a howl, so we give the opportunity. As the Center is 100% funded from donations we're happy to help them.

I hate stuff that has no use, although I still use a ball mouse , so I could use a mouse pad. Why not make something that will be used instead of just getting tossed as soon as they get home? Coasters, rawhide chew toys, Christmas ornaments, key fobs, luggage tags, etc... may be better choices. If it is usable it will keep your organizations name in their eye for a longer time.

I hate stuff that has no use, although I still use a ball mouse , so I could use a mouse pad. Why not make something that will be used instead of just getting tossed as soon as they get home? Coasters, rawhide chew toys, Christmas ornaments, key fobs, luggage tags, etc... may be better choices. If it is usable it will keep your organizations name in their eye for a longer time.

I'm making key fobs, Starbucks cozies, can cozies, bracelets and hair scrunchies as well. The mouse pads are just part of the program. I've even genned up a few sun visors to see if people would be interested. The luggage tags are intriguing. I'll see what I can come up with for them. I have plastic for the "window" already. Anybody got a pattern for that? I'll add coasters to the program as well. I have some large stamps that will make them a "set" easily enough.

I made some really basic mouse pads ... here. I know they are really basic, but I made a bunch as a test, when I have time I want to do a little more experimenting and come up with something with a little more style.

I tried one recently, glued a piece of rubberized shelf lining to the back to stiffen it up some and prevent it from sliding around. Doesn't work very well, I think it may be the leather surface imperfections affecting the way the mouse moves the cursor around, kind of jerky.

My 2 cents worth...

I made up a mouse pad from 9/10 oz Burgandy Latigo.

Used an emboss roll around the edge and an emboss plate at the bottom.

I have an optical mouse and have no problems with the mouse pad.

Works great! Used it every day for at least a year....

It looks used, but hey, it is used...... :thumbsup:

post-15330-090373000 1306717714_thumb.jp Oh, btw, it is 7 1/2" by 8 1/2"

Edited by LNLeather

Pardon me, but

After posting that picture, I just had to clean it up...

How embarrassing - not to have cleaned it up first!

At the least, you'll see the before and after possibilities.

The Latigo cleans up real nice with a deep luster - hard to

take a picture without a lot of shine!

post-15330-024109200 1306734837_thumb.jp

Very nice mouse pad!! It seems like a simple enough design. Being in the networking business I spend a lot of time behind a computer and a snazzy little mouse pad would make my co-workers a little green :) Seeing as I'm a beginner leatherworker this should be a good starter project. *Noted*

Very nice mouse pad!! It seems like a simple enough design. Being in the networking business I spend a lot of time behind a computer and a snazzy little mouse pad would make my co-workers a little green :) Seeing as I'm a beginner leatherworker this should be a good starter project. *Noted*

I'm real glad you like my mouse pad - but

I hope you understand that this mouse pad I made - out of Latigo -

has the design stamped into it with an Emboss Plate.

post-15330-033628100 1307363941_thumb.jp Old West Bronc Bustin' Emboss Plate 8 3/8" x 3" Tall

and the edge design is made with an Emboss Roll

post-15330-007085700 1307366061_thumb.jp similar to this only what's on my mouse pad is a Serpentine1/4"

*Normally Latigo Leather is considered to not be a good leather to do tooling on.

But I found that my Tippmann Emboss machine and Tippmann 700 clicker Die Press

Will work quite well on Latigo. I am not so sure about individual tooling stamps...

So, I am just a sayin........... don't be surprised, if you use Latigo Leather, you might be disappointed.

You might want to make yours out of regular tooling leather...

Unless, of course, I could help you with something like this.... :thumbsup:

Oh, alright. I understand what you're saying, so it is more of an advanced project than I originally thought. Well if you do want to help I would welcome it but I will not be back in the states for some time so we will have to take a raincheck for a much later date :P