pella

UK english bridle leather

I use Sedgwick bridle leather, but i want opinions from english saddlers or people who tried other brands of english leather.

Is there other good brands, what about John Whites? Are they equivalent?

I use Sedgwick bridle leather, but i want opinions from english saddlers or people who tried other brands of english leather.

Is there other good brands, what about John Whites? Are they equivalent?

other than Sedgewicks, Astley leather bridle from NZ is very good.

Barra

Pella,

I most frequently use Sedgewicks but the quality varies.

I have used some pieces of Whites and really liked it; nice to cut and work with - it just flet 'smoother'.

A saddler friend of mine swears by it.

I believe it used to be more expensive than Sedgewicks but has come down in price.

Gary

Yes, quality vary on my Sedgwicks hide too, i guess than normal? One time i was horrified by a "loose fibers" hide but except that, they are quite stable, some are extroardinary in firmness, other less dense.

No Whites is a little less expensive, about the same. When you say "smoother" do you mean the fibres ares looser? I do like firmness in the skin, they broke-in so well so i dont mind original rigidity and that mean longer life.

thanks barra, but i am looking for uk leathers. I also use other kinds of bridle, but from usa. I was surprised to learn this week that the "english" bridle leather from Weaver is made in mexico, but from US hide. I like this leather, it is the best dressed "bridle" leather i find in Usa for now.

Pella,

By 'smoother' I mean an awful lot.

The feel is less coarse than Sedgewicks sometimes feels, it has a softer feel when cutting, it cut more crisply, it was easier to edge, it bent better round buckles and so forth and it had a waxier, classier, looking finish.

That's what I really meant.

Gary

Gary: i will try a whites black butt soon, you "titille" me.

about "bend better around buckle", dont you wet the leather prior bending? If not, the leather crack, and when wet, it is so easy. I use to bend while wet, then place the buckle, and squeeze on my stitching horse clamp...for a nice flat look. I preffer that than hammering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "coarse", i'll know with a comparasion hide, should i receive a good one ;-)

I ask sample from another tannery in England too, should receive them soon.

"Gary: i will try a whites black butt soon, you "titille" me."

Phew! My French is a bit rusty so I had to look that one up.

Yes, I do wet the leather for folding round buckles but the White's just forms better, even when the others are wetted also.

I'll PM you

Gary

Edited by gary