Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

Tandy"s Single Bends

I am going to place this in this topic and in suppliers also.

I received my order of Single Bends from Tandy Friday. Cut a piece off the corner of the 6/7 oz, cased it, slicked it and carved a design on it today.

The design is an old Al Stohlman design that I took a few liberties with. New leather and a new SK-3 swivel knife from Paul. Can I consider that multitasking?

As I said before, the leather is beautiful. I am of the opinion that the European tannery includes the belly on this cut. That is where I cut the piece off for this.

The belly portion seems to have some stretch marks but nothing like some HO I have. I did not hold the leather under warm water instead I simply ran water over it on both

sides. I have wrapped my wet leather in an old terry cloth towel or old T-shirt for years while it is "tempering".

Traced the pattern on the leather with the same moisture content as always. The SK-3 is unbelievably sharp, cuts through this leather like butter. I was using a straight 1/4"

blade, I will need to get an angle blade from Paul for this kind of work. This leather is very soft, may have something to do with it being "Belly Leather". Takes some

getting used to when cutting with the swivel knife. Stamping takes a gentle hand with a 16 oz. maul even after the leather is drying out. Tools with all of the molding

tools better than any I have ever used. Clip your finger nails short, they really mark this leather.

Don't look too close at the photo I have enclosed. I need some serious practice with the SK-3 and the leather.

Any comments or questions welcome.

ferg

post-15740-080864800 1294600099_thumb.jp

I bought some of this leather too. I do agree with what you posted. My main complaint/issue with it is that it is very soft. It tools very easily, it will take some time to see how it holds the tooling. It takes water well and had nearly no stretch marks in it. You can even smell that it is differant then the other tandy leather.

i have used the European sides and have noticed that it takes dye differently than other leather. i was just wondering if yall thought the same thing?