Viv

Help Identifying Some Leather For Small Items.

Hello to everyone on the forum,

I've been a silent member for a while, mainly checking out some of the incredible work on here. After narrowing down my options, I'd quite like to explore making small items like watch straps and wallets. I'd like to test my skills and need some help getting started by identifying the type of leather used in the photos below.

niwa2.jpg

aa33c74d-d165-40c5-bfc0-39605561da64.jpg

e740a24f-38e5-4789-b893-d7776e6a584f.jpg

I've never come across such colours in leatherwork so I suspect this is a case of dyeing some leather?

Thanks for looking

Viv

Hi Viv,

It's hard to ID any kind of leather from just a picture, however, in the pics above I'd say that a thin veg tan leather was used, probably 2-3 or 3-4oz. thickness.

The interior parts in the second pic look like the leather was left natural, maybe a coat of neatsfoot oil or something like it. All of the outside pics definitely are dyed leather if veg tan was used.

Some leathers are dyed during the tanning process (the dye goes all the way thruogh the piece, not just on the grain side), but those are usually the browns and blacks for saddle and motorcycle accessoiries; I haven't seen any really bright colors like in your last pic done that way.

Hope this helps!

Black Dogg

Thank you Black Dogg. That's certainly helpful in guiding me in the right direction. The bright colours are perplexing but I'll get there.

I really appreciate your help and advice.

Viv