red3

Dry Milled Leather?

Can someone explain what "dry milled leather" is and is it available in the US? I searched the forums and had no luck. The interweb only shows sources in India and China. I'm looking for something soft and supple to make a pouch or bag with.

Can someone explain what "dry milled leather" is and is it available in the US? I searched the forums and had no luck. The interweb only shows sources in India and China. I'm looking for something soft and supple to make a pouch or bag with.

I think Dry Milling mimics the process of pounding the leather to soften it.

http://www.leatherresource.com/drymilling.html

Interesting.... does anyone in the US sell it and if they do what do they call it? thanks for the reply....

I think Dry Milling mimics the process of pounding the leather to soften it.

http://www.leatherre...drymilling.html

Interesting.... does anyone in the US sell it and if they do what do they call it? thanks for the reply....

Most of what I saw was finished goods. You might call your regular supplier and ask if they have a source.

1323999066[/url]' post='224541']

I was at the hide house in napa CA and they had some ~5oz veg tan leather that was very soft. It looks exactly like regular veg tan tooling leather except it"s soft. I bought a side but haven't used it yet. It feels very nice though. I'm gonna make a bag with it soon. The guy told me that it's regular veg tan leather that they somehow process to make softer. I've hear of the term soft milled and now dry milled so perhaps this is what they do? I also got some swatches from Waterhouse leather of their " Renaissance" leather. They say that it's dyed veg tan that's been soft milled. It definitely is soft but I didn't really like it cause it has a more pebbly grain but you might try them as well.

Andrew

Thanks for the info....Both sources look like what I had in mind...I ordered some of pebble grain stuff from waterhouse and I want to get some of the smooth stuff from Hide House as well...I really appreciate the response...I have only bought from wickett and craig and the leather is pretty stiff...

I was at the hide house in napa CA and they had some ~5oz veg tan leather that was very soft. It looks exactly like regular veg tan tooling leather except it"s soft. I bought a side but haven't used it yet. It feels very nice though. I'm gonna make a bag with it soon. The guy told me that it's regular veg tan leather that they somehow process to make softer. I've hear of the term soft milled and now dry milled so perhaps this is what they do? I also got some swatches from Waterhouse leather of their " Renaissance" leather. They say that it's dyed veg tan that's been soft milled. It definitely is soft but I didn't really like it cause it has a more pebbly grain but you might try them as well.

Andrew

Thanks for the info....Both sources look like what I had in mind...I ordered some of pebble grain stuff from waterhouse and I want to get some of the smooth stuff from Hide House as well...I really appreciate the response...I have only bought from wickett and craig and the leather is pretty stiff...

Wickett & Craig has milled leather, it's not listed on their website. Call Glen over there and ask him about it.

I have bought milled veg from Glenn at W/C. They'll even split it to whatever you want.

I've also bought milled from Waterhouse.

Mount it on Illustration board, and tool even 3 oz. leather like it was 8!

I have bought milled veg from Glenn at W/C. They'll even split it to whatever you want.

I've also bought milled from Waterhouse.

Mount it on Illustration board, and tool even 3 oz. leather like it was 8!

Can you guys describe the milled leather from W&C? Is it just regular veg tan tooling leather but milled softer? Is it much softer than regular? Is the surface appearance the same as non milled stuff? Do they do this with any of their other leathers like their bridle leather or is it just with the tooling/strap leather? Thanks.

Andrew