leatheroo

a new hobby, thanks johanna

awhile ago johanna kindly posted a link to a youtube vid about 'spacepainters'. these artists use spray enamel cans to produce paintings about outerspace. well i was hooked! i thought, i gotta try this. i bought a few cans of spray paint and below are our first efforts.

the first two are mine and the bottom one is casey's (leathercat), please excuse the flash glare.

sooooo much fun.

mums_planet.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

casey_space.jpg

post-4514-1217052213_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1217052248_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1217052303_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Nice work you two. I'd thought of trying my hand at it, but said, "Nah..."

Seeing what you've done...well I might just have to try it now.

Those are really cool. So, can you do the same thing with your airbrush on a piece of leather? With the texture from carving, seems like you could make some really awesome effects.

Those are really cool. So, can you do the same thing with your airbrush on a piece of leather? With the texture from carving, seems like you could make some really awesome effects.

They are cool, for sure. And, adding cuts & texturing plus selective antiquing would really make a spacey leather peice...... I'm thinkin' remember those $$k's leather purses that Johanna posted (link)? These 'could' be out there?

Very cool at the least.

Regis

Apples and oranges, I think, Clay. While you can certainly come close to reproducing the image in leather, I think it misses the point. You can also do it in oil, acrylic, pastel, or any other color medium. The spray paint technique is fast and "simple," and still creates a unique image that you probably aren't going to fully reproduce in another medium (real close, but not the same). You're probably playing to different markets...the cost difference would be considerable.

Dale

Nice work Roo, that video was awesome. Kudo's on the courage to step out of the box to try it!

Nice Work ,Roo just make sure you take care of your lungs!!! i had a friend die after years of doing almost this same type of work. because he didn't think it looked cool to wear a mask..not to smart i'd say.. just be vary careful.. not only your lungs but it also works on your nervous system..not pretty...just my 2cents..

Nice work Roo! You never cease to amaze me with your abilitys to creat new stuff with your hands.

Tom

thanks everyone, i think the effect could translate to leather...will give it a go one day.

hiloboy, the first thing i bought was a good quality mask for myself and casey...thanks for the reminder for anyone that is going to try this.