Sign in to follow this  
JD50

Tandy Pro Stitching Groover

I just received a Tandy Pro Stitching Groover Set. Right out of the package there are several issues with the tool. The main problem is the small set screw that is supposed to hold the blade in place. Either the allen wrench or the hole in the set screw is rounded off so that I can't tighten the setscrew. Also, the blade and the guide arm seem to be lined up at a rather odd angle to each other (not sure if it's supposed to be like that); the blade is VERY dull and will not even cut a groove; there is a rough spot on the guide arm right where it would rub against the edge of the leather; and there is a small chunk out of the wooden handle. This tool looks like a reject that should have not made it out of the factory!

I am not sure whether to return the tool in exchange for another one or just get my money back.

If anyone has this tool and would share their experience and opinion I would appreciate it.

Up until now, all of my tools have come from Tandy and I don't have any complaint against any of them.

JD

(snipit).....the blade is VERY dull and will not even cut a groove;

The Pro Stitching Groover Set (88081-00) comes with two attachments: a 'groover' and a 'spoon'. The spoon comes unsharpened from the factory because its intended use is 'creasing', not cutting.

You could sharpen it and cut with it if you want to (I made a 'cutting' blade from a 8-32 stainless steel screw so I could have both the spoon and a cutting-blade).

(snipit).... I am not sure whether to return the tool in exchange for another one or just get my money back.

The Pro Stitching Groover provides two-tools-in-one (and if you make a cutting-blade for it it becomes a 3-in-1) and it's adjustable from 1/16" to 1 1/4". I think it's a useful, versital tool but I would not like it to have the problems that yours has. I would ask for a replacement and I would ask them to inspect it before sending it to me. - John

I also have the Pro Stitching Groover set but it is in my travel box that is used to go to craft events. I have never had any issues with it but the consistency of the tools is always in question as they are manufactured OCONUS (we all know where they come from nowadays, not necessary to print it out). My primary tool is a vintage Craftool saddle stitching groover (wider range of use availability, just can't mark a crease line with it but that is what a ruler and stylus are for anyway).

I would send it back to get it replaced and even drop a note to the main HQ explaining your problem so that they are aware of what is being shipped out of the local stores.

they should warranty it, so just ask them to replace it.

Just take it back and they'll replace it. No need to get the HQ involved. It's a good tool and it does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks to all who responded.

I'll give it a second chance and ask for an exchange.

jhinaz, just for the record...when I stated that the blade was VERY dull, I wasn't referring to the modeling spoon blade but to the groover blade. Granted, the spoon should be nice and dull.

I currently use a Craftool adjustable groover which was very sharp out of the package and only requires a little stropping to maintain the edge. It does a fine job but I thought the chuck on the Pro groover looked like a time saver when adjusting widths. Also, your suggestion of asking them to inspect the replacement before shipping is a good idea...I'll do that.

JD

I realize this thread is a month old but did you ever get the tool replaced? Was it any better? I just ordered the same thing from SLC and got one with the exact same problems. I got it to cut one nice groove on some scrap but it had a lot of drag. I assumed the blade just needed stropped a bit so wasn't too concerned with that part. I noticed the set screw problem right away though. The allen wrench doesn't fit it correctly...meh whatever, I've got plenty of allen wrenches. What struck me though was that the set screw isn't parallel with the guide arm, making whatever insert you use in it, all caddywompus. Wouldn't be a big deal if the inserts were round but they're square. Calling this a "Pro" tool is a pretty far stretch if you ask me.